High Sodium Food

Options
How many days does it take to flush out a high sodium dinner assuming the next day is started and continues with a higher volume then normal of water consumption? Does fasting the next day help speed up the flushing out of the sodium? Thank You!!!!

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I only have personal experience to draw on - usually 3 days or so, but can be up to a week. It'll usually drop over the course of those days (like, a pound a day if I gained 3). Going back to a lower sodium diet is probably better than fasting - you'll feel better and foods like fruits and vegetables contain a lot more water than you think, which can help with staying hydrated and flushing out retained water.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Yes, a couple. Drinking more water helps of course.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    It takes ~5-7 days for this to work out assuming you are hydrated. Fasting doesn't help.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses!!! I am in no hurry, but if someone had confirmed that "fasting and drinking a lot of water will flush it out in a day" then that would have been something I might have looked at doing. I mean, why not? But your very helpful answers were what I suspected in that it takes several days to correct and the addition at the scale is simply water weight as long as I am measuring and logging everything accurately.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    From personal experience it takes 5-7 days. I'm currently holding onto ~10 lbs of water weight - a combination of abnormally high workouts and high sodium meals. It's water & glycogen.
  • braves3134
    braves3134 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Making sure to get adequate potassium in your diet along with good hydration will help speed it up as well but I agree with everyone else here, roughly 3 days to flush it out and lose the water weight