Does anyone else have a gluten and dairy allergy?

Options
Help! I have a gluten and dairy allergy and I need support please ;o)

Cort

Replies

• littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to cows milk. Makes shopping very expensive and hard to get enough calcium (even 50% of RDI is a struggle). Can't imagine how frustrating eating healthy with gluten allergy as well is. The one good thing about dairy allergies is that a lot of those products are high in fat and calories which reduces the binge options!
  • mwray06
    mwray06 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just found out I have a gluten allergy last week, since then I have been gluten free and have felt better already! Luckily, I didn't have to make massive changes in my diet--however since I live with my sister and we make meals together it has been hard to adjust so that I can eat the same meals as her. I did a lot of research online about what is and what isn't gluten free, and then printed out a list of staple items to get at the grocery store for starters...I have noticed a difference already in the way I feel and I have only been doing this for 8 days, so I hope you get the same results! I went shopping at whole foods and they have everything clearly marked that is 'Gluten Free" which makes it easy to shop. If you have any questions let me know and I will try my best to help.However, I am also new to this so I am just taking one day at a time. Good Luck :)
  • mali9292
    mali9292 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a diary allergy too and it's quite hard here at my college because at the dining hall they don't serve much that I can eat !! If you need any food ideas, let me know :)
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac Disease. I've been off gluten since 2004.
  • CortCortK
    CortCortK Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease as well been without gluten for 5 years
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Also off gluten for ten years. Caused my joints to swell and be very painful. No pain or swelling since.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    Also off gluten for ten years. Caused my joints to swell and be very painful. No pain or swelling since.

So just a couple of years more than this thread? :D
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I am both Gluten and Dairy Free due to allergies/intolerances. My diary is open. Also feel free to friend me.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I have a wheat germ allergy and my husband is lactose intolerant so even though I can have dairy we don’t keep any other than yogurt in the house and I rarely eat it. It was hard to adjust but now I’m used to it. I’m also allergic to soy and shellfish
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »

So just a couple of years more than this thread? :D

Haha! 2011 thread. Didn’t notice!

• HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Sensitivity/intolerance was how it was explained to me by allergist. I almost never eat out because gluten-free has become such a heated topic here and after reading some of those internet lists about servers, I worry that someone will decide I am just being a hipster, and slip me something that will cause me severe gastrointestinal and joint distress.
  • mnfva1
    mnfva1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have celiac so I am gluten free and am also allergic to soy. After being gluten free for a couple of years I can have a little bit of dairy without a problem.

However, Im fighting lyme right now so cutting out red meat, all dairy, and most added sugar.
  • emilyhultin
    emilyhultin Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i am not allergic to either one, but according to the allergist i went to a few years back, i am “highly sensitive” so i avoid them anyways. feel free to add me, my diary is open!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    One of my best friends is, plus she’s Jewish. While she doesn’t keep kosher strictly, going out to eat together can be a challenge. We eat sushi. And go to frozen yogurt places with gelato.

Good luck!