Should I Keto?

Options
Hi all,

Been running and cycling 3/4 times a week for anout 3 months now but the weights not shifting. I know it must be down to diet (I'm Scottish...Everything is Carbs!)

Thinking of making a change and maybe Keto is a way to go?

Any help / advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

BR

Replies

• beard_runner
    beard_runner Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Also feel free to add me!
  • aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Depends on your preferences really - do you find fat filling? Personally I don't, so couldn't do keto as I'd be feeling too hungry and would find it difficult to stick to. If fat fills you up and you aren't keen on carbs, then it could be a great choice for you.

Whatever approach you take, so long as you create a calorie deficit you will lose weight. Make sure that you're logging accurately - weigh everything, use accurate entries, try to avoid guesstimates and choosing "too good to be true" options from the database. Good luck!

PS I'm also Scottish - salmon and whisky aren't carbs ;) Not sure about the carb content of haggis though!
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Oh .. and I'll add you ... on one condition ? ..... if you do start following a keto diet and subsequesntly start trying to convert me or flooding the feed showing me pictures of meals that are apparently amazing despite the lack of carbs like yummy salty fries, or a jacket potato or fried rice, or batter ..... then I am going to cull your *kitten* !!!!! ;)
  • beard_runner
    Options
    Cheers guys. Not even sure keto is the wy forward. Just know I need to change something around. Open to suggestiond. Except Salmon.... I hate fish 😂
  • aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    How much are you trying to lose, and at what rate? What calorie allowance does MFP give you? A good place to start is to log everything you eat now and see how it adds up. Where can you cut things out, reduce portion sizes or swap for lower calorie alternatives? You don't need to change what you eat - even "junk" food can fit into a healthy, calorie-appropriate lifestyle (my fiance loves fast food so we have McDonalds and/or KFC every week).

It's helpful to learn what you find filling and satifying. For me it's protein and fibre, whereas carbs (especially bread) are pretty useless. You might be a volume eater and prefer large portions of low calorie veg, or you may be happy with smaller portions of richer, fat-filled food. It's all about finding out what works for you, personnally :)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    The fundamental of weight loss is that you have to burn more calories than you consume. It is important to deal with the root cause of your weight stall because it can happen on Keto too.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    you are not losing weight, because you are eating too much ... PERIOD

whether its carbs, fat or protein is irrelevant to your actual size. In order to lose fat you need to consistantly eat less calories than your body requires to maintain its current weight.

Keto will only work for you, IF by heavily restricting all carbs you end up putting yourself in a calorie deficit .... but ask yourself this .. do you really want to give up, bread, chips etc etc ?

you can acheive a calorie deficit and not give up any food ... you just need to eat less

This guy took the words out of my mouth...Listen to him. When it comes to diet, before going full keto, people need to learn the basics, it's all about eating less calories than you burn. So my first recommendation is to simply eat the foods that you like as long as you're eating less calories than you burn...just make sure you have a high protein diet (if you're a lifter 0.8g per lbs of bodyweight is enough), reach your fiber and micronutrients goals too.

If you struggle with it because carbs makes you hungry all the time and it causes you to food binge or whatever reason, then I would suggest to try a diet that can help you stick at a caloric deficit, whether it's keto, IF or whatever diet is out there. Diets are only tools, they do not directly cause you to lose weight. The only thing that guarantees weight loss is being at a caloric deficit.
  • beard_runner
    Options
    Thanks all. Great points.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Your new exercise program could be masking fat loss with water and glycogen. You might be losing fat but the scale isn't showing it due to water weight.

I experienced that a few years ago. I'd been working out daily but had an injury and had to stop all exercise. Without changing my eating, I suddenly list almost 10 pounds in 2 weeks to take me to my goal weight. It had to have been water.

I'm keto to address IR and autoimmune issues. Happily I find weight loss on keto easier due to a lowered appetite and fewer cravings. I also find, like some others with IR, that weight loss is a bit faster with low carb, but it's only by a few pounds over a year.

If you want to try keto, I say go for it, but it is a fairly big change for most people. It doesn't suit everyone.

Good luck.