Squats with a raised heel ?

Options
I tried last week with plates under my heels when squatting. I felt a much better difference in terms of quality.

I was about to go narrow in stance which means more quad activation.

What are your thoughts

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have squat shoes with a raised heal. It can certainly help those people with tight ankles Personally, I would use shoes over weights (mainly for stability), but it's not a bad option.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I have squat shoes with a raised heal. It can certainly help those people with tight ankles Personally, I would use shoes over weights (mainly for stability), but it's not a bad option.

And work on the ankle mobility issue.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    This is why lifters have a raised heal. I tend to go on the balls of my feet when squatting and wearing lifters helps keep my heels on the ground.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I squat in Chucks - I put a left heel on a 1" board - lack of mobility because of a past broken ankle
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I suggest most lifters use shoes eventually if they can afford them. Having a good arch support with stability is a huge benefit and often helps repeating good form at the correct dosage of intensity.

Stance is going to be personal preference and will depend on your limb lengths and how your body moves. I know people who look identical to another person body proportions, but have a entire different squat.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Narrow stance = a more likely tendency for internal rotation on the knee
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I use raised heel lifting shoes. I squat better to depth and feel more secure this way.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Isn't attempting isolation work on a compound movement a bit redundant?
    I generally do narrow stance ("cannonball") leg press on the toes/heels slightly off the platform (light weight-high reps) as a means to finish off quads (no knee issues).

Not sure what your goal is but squat with whatever stance feels most comfortable
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I figured out at what point my non-flexible ankle caused bad side-shift of weight and bad form, and made a lift of a wood slat tall enough to allow full-depth still without the issue.

And use chucks.

I also prefer not the widest or most knee-out position merely to have higher weight - I'm focusing on quads more, so reasonable for me, but not narrow either.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Personally I prefer flat low cut shoes if I even wear shoes I would feel uncomfortable lifting in raised heels. Actually these day I've been lifting barefoot, since I got myself a power rack for the home gym. I don't necessarily go narrow or wide. Shoulder width, slight duck stance which is comfortable for me to track my knees properly. Whatever works for you! With squat I'm aiming to increase my overall lift strength, when I want to target my quads, I use the knee extension / lunges / Bulgarian split squat for accessories.

I don't like the sound of standing on the plates that sounds like a good way to screw up and hurt yourself. Somebody mentioned a piece of plywood, assuming its secure that sounds way safer.
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I wear orthotics in my Nike frees which are basically flat. No need for ankle support..
    Narrow stance, if your looking ti do some isolation I'd say do it on the Smith it will be a bit safer
  • gemmalowin
    gemmalowin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It depends where you are tying to target. I am usualy targeting my Glutes, so I push up with my heel. Leaning Foward slightly and tensing the Glutes, will also engage. Most other squat positions will engage the, quads more and you will likely feel alot of the work being concentrated just above the knee, which is good, if you are trying to target that area 🤗
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    My ankle mobility sucks, so heels for me. I wish they were higher (they are only about 0.6"), and have occasionally worn my street shoes in the gym for the extra heel height if my Achilles isn't feeling particularly 'stretchy' that day.
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I tried last week with plates under my heels when squatting. I felt a much better difference in terms of quality.

I was about to go narrow in stance which means more quad activation.

What are your thoughts

My squat form is much better when I raise my heals with plates too, but I don't lift heavy doing this as I don't trust myself stepping on the plates with 190lbs (that's my heavy) on my back... I have horrible ankle mobility. Would love a pair of lifting shoes one day! For very narrow stance I use the Smith low weight high rep, with feet out in front ankle mobility isn't a prob.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I also wear squat shoes. They definitely change the game when it comes to squats.

I will say though if you're concerned about quad activation. Have you considered front squats?
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Narrow stance = a more likely tendency for internal rotation on the knee

Hey, man! I have a couple of questions for you.

Background: I used to do powerlifting. Had not done Squats since high school (35 years ago) prior to that. Never did Deadlifts. I started squating with a narrow stance but moved to a wider stance. I was also doing high bar squats. So, my questions:

1. What are your thoughts on doing "good girls" (aka, Adductor) to help with preventing the knees from caving in?
    2. What are your thoughts on "to find your strongest foot position act like you are going to jump as high as you can....your body will put itself in its strongest position"?

I am very fortunate in that I do not have any mobility issues (shoulder and hip mobility programs are strong with me....).