Orange theory

Options

Replies

• hal1964
    hal1964 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    hal1964 wrote: »
    I've been curious about Orange Theory for awhile. I am not really looking at weight loss but am curious about the accountability part of it. I am also looking to increase my fitness level, specifically VO2 max. Would this help me improve my goal?

I'd say give it a try. I found it sort of boring, although I did appreciate the competitive atmosphere they try to foster by showing everyone's time in the orange zone on the big screens. I think the calorie burn, though, is a massive overestimation due to attribution of too many calories to epoc.

Like almost everything else, it's full body (since they do incorporate a strength segment near the end, mostly via dumbells, trx, or body weight exercises) so it's not bad if you enjoy it.

Full body is good and I do TRX and dumbbells now. Thanks!
  • hal1964
    Options
    Mari22na wrote: »
    Thanks! I was a runner and enjoyed it but I sprained my knee playing a sport and haven't been able to run as much since. I hate the treadmill. Are there other cardio activities someone can do?

Swimming, swimming, swimming.[/quote]

I swim like a brick...I can't swim...LOL
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I've been curious about Orange Theory for awhile. I am not really looking at weight loss but am curious about the accountability part of it. I am also looking to increase my fitness level, specifically VO2 max. Would this help me improve my goal?

I have increased my VO2 max since starting Orange Theory, but I also run a lot and am not sure which or whether it was both that improved my conditioning. Challenging yourself to sprint and run faster than what's comfortable for you will increase your speed and endurance whether you do it on your own or through a class.

Will also say that some of my closest friends are people I met through OTF. It's a great way to meet other people who are very focused on their health and fitness!

Thanks! I was a runner and enjoyed it but I sprained my knee playing a sport and haven't been able to run as much since. I hate the treadmill. Are there other cardio activities someone can do?

They have a few ellipticals and bikes, but it's really a treadmill focused class. I used to hate the treadmill, too, but it's just totally different when you're running with someone telling you how fast/what incline and the music is pumping and everyone around you is doing the same thing. It's absolutely nothing like running on a treadmill on your own at the gym.

I can do treadmill now it's just different so perhaps you are right. Can you tell me what a typical class consists of?

The cool thing is they always mix it up, but it's usually 2 or 3 groups. The one I just did had us run for 12 minutes and we could either see how far we could get on our own or follow the instructor's pacing (2 minutes push pace, 1 minute base, 1 minute all out, repeated in a variety of different time increments, at 1% and then 2% incline.) Then, on the rowers we had a series of 300, 400 and 500 meter rows with jump squats with a med ball in between each set. Meanwhile, in the weight room, it was a bunch of exercises on the TRX straps like pushups, Y-raises, step-ups.

Every class is different but those are the three modules.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Options
    Also, it's not just treadmill running. Plenty of people walk or jog. You can choose what speed you want to do.
    FWIW, I shaved 15 minutes off my half marathon PR since I've been doing Orange. I went from 2:15 to 1:55. I'm obviously a huge fan...not everyone loves it, but I think it's great!
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    To add on to what Running_and_Coffee said.

You will be assigned a treadmill, water rowing machine, and weight station. Your station includes a bench, bosu ball, dumbbells, TRX straps, ab dolly, etc. There are also medicine balls. The exercises and reps you should do during that set will be on the screen along with the demonstration video on a loop. Trainers mainly get involved to correct form or slow you down if you're going too fast.

Personally I love the days that are heavy on rowing machines. That's the place where I can go all out.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    My cousin and his wife joined and they really enjoy it. She has made an amazing transformation! I'm sure there was a diet change involved with the exercise.
  • hal1964
    Options
    So with OTF, would you say you either love it or hate it? They make you buy HRM monitors too, correct?
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Options
    So with OTF, would you say you either love it or hate it? They make you buy HRM monitors too, correct?

My husband didn't hate it but didn't want to spend money on a membership as he has his own gym routine he looks forward to doing. You can buy either a chest strap or an arm band, but that's only if you want to see your numbers on the class screen. I sometimes don't wear mine.
  • hal1964
    Options

My husband didn't hate it but didn't want to spend money on a membership as he has his own gym routine he looks forward to doing. You can buy either a chest strap or an arm band, but that's only if you want to see your numbers on the class screen. I sometimes don't wear mine.

Yes I already have a gym membership, a Garmin Vivosport and 2 or 3 chest straps at home. So I don't know if I want another membership. Still, it's the accountability that I find appealing and the need to increase my cardio fitness level quickly.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Options
    You can take a sample class and see. I think the instructors and the people are really important, too. Not everyone is a great teacher and sometimes the people's energy makes or breaks the class.

The accountability is great, though--nothing like getting a text at 4:30 am from a friend asking if you're on your way to Orange!
  • sruv
    sruv Posts: 27 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I was a member of OTF in CT for close to year and loved it. It's not for the feint of heart - high intensity interval training (targeted to your individual heart rate) in a 60 minute session. These gyms are franchises, so you will have a different experience based upon who owns it, who they hire as trainers, etc. The down side of this gym, for me, was that there is no real warm up or cool down (so no significant stretching). If you are young and limber, you'll be able to handle it -- but unfortunately, my dedication to 3x per week (and only walking fast on the treadmill - not running) let to a torn my meniscus. My much younger (and fitter) friend also developed strained knees. I have to say that I loved the community of people at this gym (athletes of all abilities working together at their top rate) but I would caution you to be careful. A good mix might be 2 days of OTF with additional days of other more joint friendly activities - like biking, swimming, yoga, pilates. BTW, I'm 62 - so maybe I was just past my prime for OTF, but I'll never admit it!!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I say try a free class.

I started in April ish. I was REALLY into it the first few months. While I had been lazily running (if that makes sense haha) this really got my entire eating and exercise routine down quickly.

However...i then got an injury. my elbows (both) were killing me. So no more rowing and even after two weeks off, i still couldn't do half the floor stuff. Anything requiring leaning on elbows or upper arm motion. Did some physio/rehab, slowly was getting back in doing my own modified floor time. but rehab was slower when i wetn to the gym

THEN i messed up my calves.

At this point i'm done with Orange. I keep injuring myself. I need more on on one for floor stuff as I have a hard time remembering how to do things and not injuring myself. Now my elbows are better but my neck and back hurt (getting that addressed by professions). the trainers try but they are busy coordinating the treatmill people and have 15on the floor so they don't have tons of time to guide you on the floor (the first trainer I did was better at this though).

Plus the last classes I went to were too repetitive. If you go once a week you can end up always working the same two muscle groups. It was like squats and arm raises (or whatever) for most of the floor in all the last classes I did. Maybe that's just bad luck but I prefer when the floor does more than just the same two muscle group for 25minutes. I find this could be contributing to my injury (if you haven't worked that group you shouldn't be pushing it with 30 reps of 10 on that same stupid muscle group!!).
  • hal1964
    Options
    Ok...one last question...maybe...I'm a 54 year old guy...wouldn't I be out of place?
  • FireOpalCO
    Options
    OTF also has an unofficial reddit (r/orangetheory). It's pretty active and both members and trainers post.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Ok...one last question...maybe...I'm a 54 year old guy...wouldn't I be out of place?

will depend on the particular class. Some classes I go to there are a number of older men/women. A few are regulars I recognize. Half the class is probably the younger crowd (under 30). but this varies by class.
  • FireOpalCO
    Options

Yes I already have a gym membership, a Garmin Vivosport and 2 or 3 chest straps at home. So I don't know if I want another membership. Still, it's the accountability that I find appealing and the need to increase my cardio fitness level quickly.

Yes I wish they supported other chest/arm straps as long as they met certain requirements. I didn't have a dedicated heart rate monitor, just an apple watch, so it wasn't an issue for me.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »

will depend on the particular class. Some classes I go to there are a number of older men/women. A few are regulars I recognize. Half the class is probably the younger crowd (under 30). but this varies by class.

Agree. I live in a town where most people are married with kids in the house, and I'd say you'd fit right in where I live--I'm a 44 yr old female and I'd say about half the people are a little older, half a little younger. But maybe in major cities, it might skew younger. There are DEFINITELY men! It's maybe half/half. This is not your yoga/step aerobics type thing!
  • hal1964
    Options
    FireOpalCO wrote: »
    OTF also has an unofficial reddit (r/orangetheory). It's pretty active and both members and trainers post.

Yes I know reddit...LOL...But is having their chest strap a requirement?
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Options

Not that I know of! Not at the locations I've been to, anyway.
  • FireOpalCO
    Options

Not that I know of! Not at the locations I've been to, anyway.

Nope, not required to buy. Of course then you don't get stats or see yourself on the screen. They do rent their monitors and provide one free for the first class.