Lean Cuisines Are Yucky!

Options
I work a LOT, and I am always crunched for time at home and forget to pack a lunch so I thought I'd try these Lean Cuisine frozen meals my friends all rave about. I picked a few in the lower calories ranges and took them to work. The first one I tried was a chicken and balsamic something or other. Blech!! It was so limp and flavorless. Today I had the Salmon basil one and feel like that one was even worse. I am so disappointed.

Are there tasty ones out there? I feel like I could make the same thing at home for the same calories, but way better tasting. I just don't have the time to :)

What do you working folk do for a healthy (and super easy) lunch?

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I hate all the frozen diet foods...disgusting!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I agree, they taste bad and lack nutrition. I usually bring leftovers for lunch.
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I hate Lean Cuisine too. I make a couple meals on Sunday when I have time and use them throughout the week!
  • ltlane
    ltlane Posts: 120
    Options
    if i do eat lean cuisine its the swedish meatballs or the new sandwichs they have... calories are between 320-375.
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I like them, but I guess its what you get used to. I love the Butternut squash ravioli.
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I hate all the frozen diet foods...disgusting!

I agree!!!! Not worth the money!!!
  • krazeestraw
    krazeestraw Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the SmartOnes (Weight Watcher brand). My favorites are the Breakfast Sandwich and the 3-Cheese Ziti Marinara (I find this one, with some veggies/fruit on the side is pretty filling for a quick at-work lunch).
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Watch out, those things are pretty high in sodium even though they are low in calories... they'll make you feel bloated and gross if you eat to many of them! I know I feel like that after I eat them.
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    How about making extra at dinner and having that for your next day's lunch?
  • KelieHerrera
    Options
    I like them, but I guess its what you get used to. I love the Butternut squash ravioli.

I did actually buy that one but my man stole it and took it to work. Lucky him!
  • thenewkarisa
    Options
    They are nasty! I had one once but won't try it ever again.... I'm wondering what is super quick and healthy too cause pretty soon, I'll be working and going to school both full time... =(
  • sarahlong09
    Options
    I usually buy the simple tasting ones.. less could go wrong with flavor haha! I personally like the Broccoli Cheddar Potato, & Three Cheese Zitini. Some of the sandwhiches are good as well.

Smart Ones has one called Santa Fe Rice and Beans thats yummy and thier version of the flavors mentioned above.

I only eat them when I dont have time to get together a real lunch.
  • mystic2girl
    Options
    Most diet foods are pretty gross. If you're going to spend the money, buy a bagged salad at the grocer and keep low fat dressing in the fridge at work. That is what I do.

However, I really like the Lean Cuisine sandwiches. Those are pretty good. I like the flatbreads and the other sandwiches. I would try those. The other meals are not very good. The Lean Cuisine Market Fresh meals are also not bad.
  • thenewkarisa
    Options
    How about making extra at dinner and having that for your next day's lunch?

That's what I do when I'm at home but a lot of work places don't have microwaves...
  • Jerzeeblondie
    Options
    When I was working all the time, I used to make a few meals on the weekend to pack for the week. But I do like the frozen meals sometimes, they can just be really high in sodium. If you are looking for lean cuisine meals that taste good, I'd say stick with the pasta type. I like some pasta ones that have veggies or shrimp in them, the fish meals are usually really gross. You can also try the Smart Ones brand.. I like those better. Or try healthy choice, some of them are okay too.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I love the green giant valley fresh steamers (veggies). I have that and a different type of tuna flavor every day for lunch. Oh, and cheese. :)
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    l love lean cuisines but they aren't good for you as I found out through a nutrionist. They're either piled on top of potatoes, pastas or rice and none are good for you. Sesame chicken was my fave but haven't had one in about 2 months :)
  • carlaanne78
    carlaanne78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I promise there are good ones! I love the Flatbreads and Panini's, I know that I will always feel full with those.
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    There are a couple in each category that i can tolerate. I have found that my grocery (safeway) store "private select" brand and stouffers, often have fairly close calorie amounts and taste much better. I have found the enchilada suiza in lean cuisine to be "ok" and the marguerite pizza. My private select has a tamale meal i really do actually enjoy. And i find things like the salisbury steak with mac and cheese to be tolerable, or turkey with stuffing, probably because they "faintly" remind me of real food LOL.

My go to lunch is leftovers from dinner, put into a wrap....LMAO. Believe it or not, it works! (use the meat, add whatever veggies, spread of hummus or sprinkle of cheese or topping of your choice...
  • hsh0927
    hsh0927 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I LOVE lean cuisne!! They're the best frozen "healthy" food I can find. I'm in the same boat with a busy sched and all. Some of the one's I like are the beef & broccoli, chicken alfredo (with and without broccoli), and the pepporoni pizza bread. I grew up eating home-cooked meals everyday so I'm not a huge fan of frozen meals but with my lack of time to cook, I've resorted to them and trust me, lean cuisine is much better than most!