Abs...

Options
Looking for the most effective workout for your lower abs..
I have a little potbelly.
My upper abs are good it’s all near my bellybutton.
I haven’t had kids don’t plan on it I don’t know what I’m doing wrong to make this not go away.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Sounds like genetics or bad posture
  • alwaysbrittany13
    alwaysbrittany13 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sounds like genetics or bad posture

I have talked to the drs my posture is perfectly fine and no one in my family has it but me.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I have the same issue. I believe it's diet first and foremost. I am 53. I have had 2 kids. I use to drink tons of wine...Over the years, a pooch developed that no matter what I did, I could not get rid of. After all these years, I have found the solution for me...I gave up wine (so much sugar), I changed my diet, lower carb and more protein, and I do workout regularly. I do HIIT mostly. You cannot spot reduce so you need to think in total body health. Anyway, it is finally working and I am losing it. Yay. We are all built differently so I am just telling you what is working for me and it may work for you. As far as actual exercises go, try reverse crunches where you bring your legs up over your head instead of your head up or leg lifts, etc...It does not happen over night though so be patient. Good luck. You look pretty young so it should not be hard.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Strength training with compounds lifts will give you plenty of ab work.

I myself have the type genetics in which obtaining a 6 pack will be almost impossible, I would have to get down to very low body percentage to have a full 6 packs and even then based on my shape they most likely won't pop like you are wanting. I surely would not be able to sustain such a lower body fat to keep them.

If you have genetics in your family that show 6 packs like you wanting, ask them how they work out to have that.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Strength training with compounds lifts will give you plenty of ab work.

I myself have the type genetics in which obtaining a 6 pack will be almost impossible, I would have to get down to very low body percentage to have a full 6 packs and even then based on my shape they most likely won't pop like you are wanting. I surely would not be able to sustain such a lower body fat to keep them.

If you have genetics in your family that show 6 packs like you wanting, ask them how they work out to have that.

I think most women would kill to have your 4-pack Roxie. :tongue: OP, doing ab exercises aren't going to help you (unless you are truly looking to strengthen your core). It's fat. You will need to lose weight/fat in order to get rid of it. To Roxie's point, it may not be sustainable if that's how you genetically store your fat. I don't know your age, but women's bodies also start to transfer fat storage to the abdomen during menopause/perimenopause.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    In the end, abs are dependent on low enough bodyfat% but genetics and muscle base as well. For example I have been lower BF a few times and while I looked pretty lean and had definition, I never had a 6-pack or anything like that. I don't have the muscle base for them and probably never will. I am also female so I know it is harder for us. Perhaps if I had built them up with progressive weights while I was bulking, but it was not a goal of mine so I don't bother with it.

What are your stats?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2018
    Options
    You definitely need low body fat and good ab development... Which using direct abs exercises will be more effective than just doing compound lifts. You certainly you do compound lifts as part of a good routine.

https://youtu.be/_xdOuqokcm4
  • alwaysbrittany13
    alwaysbrittany13 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    Hi there, I have the same issue. I believe it's diet first and foremost. I am 53. I have had 2 kids. I use to drink tons of wine...Over the years, a pooch developed that no matter what I did, I could not get rid of. After all these years, I have found the solution for me...I gave up wine (so much sugar), I changed my diet, lower carb and more protein, and I do workout regularly. I do HIIT mostly. You cannot spot reduce so you need to think in total body health. Anyway, it is finally working and I am losing it. Yay. We are all built differently so I am just telling you what is working for me and it may work for you. As far as actual exercises go, try reverse crunches where you bring your legs up over your head instead of your head up or leg lifts, etc...It does not happen over night though so be patient. Good luck. You look pretty young so it should not be hard.

Yeah I don’t drink smoke no kids and I’m 27 and I look pregnant it kills me 😢
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    For me it was getting body fat to 15% and plank workout daily but that was 30 pounds ago. Now I look pregnant and I am a dude.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    The abs are actually one muscle so you can't really focus workouts on one specific area. Any core exercises will build strength there as well as your usual crunches, leg lifts, etc. Key thing is the diet. Get your body fat down and those abs will start appearing :)