C25K success stories?

Options
Sorry wasn't sure whether to put this in success stories or exercise anyway...

Did Week 1 Day 2 today and it was HARD, I really cannot see myself being able to do Week 2 let alone get all the way to Week 9, can I have some C25K success stories for motivation please!!!!

Replies

• missxlaur
    missxlaur Posts: 286
    Options
    you can do it! i didn't think i'd be able to get there either but today i am on week 9 day 2! you'll be amazed at how far your body comes in a relatively short amount of time :)
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    I feel the same way. I just did week 1 day 1. I had a csection 9 weeks ago and have been slowly getting back into exercise. Right now it seems impossible to me too, but I know I can do it. I may never be fast, but I can do it! My mind will tell me I can't, but I can do it. And so can you! Go at your own pace. Take your time, andvrepeat days if you need to. Your biggest hurdle will be YOU! Good luck and stick with it!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    You can repeat week one until you feel it is easy - then move on. This is your journey - Modify!
  • niclan724
    niclan724 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I used C25K to help me train for a mudrun that I did in July. I loved it. Some days were tough. I preferred to run more often during the week, though. I think you need to run more than 3 days a week to truly benefit. You can repeat days or weeks if you need to. Overall it helped me. I only completed week 7(found the app too late in my training), but after running the mudrun I felt like I could do 3 more miles!

Hope this helps. Some days maybe really hard, but just repeat them if you have to. You can do it!!
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I didn't think I could do it either back in March. My 3rd 5K is coming up in 12 days :-) I always stayed with a day until I got it. I only missed a couple times. ROCK ON!
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options
    Just about to stick my trainers on for my first session! Take it at your own pace, its only a recomendation, not set in stone, if you get discouraged the chances are you will stop, give it a few days and hopefully you will get the hang of it.
    x
  • georgiemccrac
    georgiemccrac Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I think I will be doing a few more days on Week 1 before moving on :) The though of being able to run 5K is really exciting! Haha. :)
  • Chunkabutt83
    Options
    i wanna do this too but im pretty heavy, im sticking to walking for awhile :laugh:
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I did a C25k and it totally works! It was tough in the beginning though and I didn't think I'd be able to get to where I am now. I started with run 2min/walk 1 min and that nearly KILLED me. I remember getting to 1:30min and thinking I couldn't run for 30 more seconds! lol Eventually I worked up to run 5min/walk 1 min and then I think the program made a huge jump to run 8min/walk 1 min and run 10min/walk 1 min. I thought there was NO WAY I could make such a big jump, but my body was ok with it. My program ended with run 20min/walk 1 min and I've been running ever since. I think the program lasted 8 weeks...so it's been maybe 11 weeks since I started running and I can run 40-45 minutes non-stop now.

It's not easy and I definitely wanted to quit in the beginning, but after the first 3-4 weeks I felt major improvements in the discomfort of breathing and now it's actually fun to run!
  • Stoicus
    Stoicus Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I hadn't run since school, over 17 years ago, but started C25K this year because I'd seen so many people happy with the results. I'm on week 5, and absolutely loving it! I can offer some advice following the program, through my trial and error and hope that it helps.

Whenever I struggled with a 'Day' I would repeat it the next time I ran. I repeated week 4 twice before moving on to week 5. I think it's important to listen to what your body is telling you, this is supposed to be a gradual exercise.

I found my shins hurt a lot from certain muscles being used in a way they weren't used to. There are quite a few videos on You Tube, that show how you can strengthen up these muscles. I do these and hardly ever get any pain now.

Make sure you have at least one rest day between runs, by that I mean do something else, just don't run.

If you are struggling when running, try not to stop but jog at a crawl if you have to.

I use runkeeper to track me when I'm running outside (on my phone) and it's really interesting looking at the stats, like pace and cals burned to get you going.

Don't give up, just keep repeating till it gets easier. It is a real achievement high, each and every time you complete a day and then a week. I've seen dramatic improvements in my health and weight loss because of it.
  • Ruthietooth
    Options
    Hi there.

I started the C25K programme in January 2009. I kept a diary and here is what I wrote on week 1 run 2.

"run 2, week 1. Didn't feel like dying until halfway through the penultimate run, a vast improvement on run 1"

It actually took me 12 weeks to be able to run 5K......but then in July 2009 I ran a 5 mile (8k) race in 58 minutes and then in October 2009 I ran a 10 mile (16k) race in 1 hour 56 minutes

I still run, I keep my distances at around 3 - 4 miles, sometimes higher for a race. I still walk when I need to, but my walks are further between and much much shorter, my average speed has improved by 30 seconds per mile since this January (I didn't do much running in 2010, I pretty much had to start from scratch)

So keep at it, and keep a diary like I did. I find it helps to look back and remind myself how far I have come, especially when I have had a "bad" run.