Electrolyte Drink Without Sugar or Artificial Sweeter and Lo

Options
NiciS72
NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
Can anyone recommend a drink to replace electrolytes during/after heavy exercise? We've been looking everywhere and the only ones that are sugar free also have Sucralose or some other artificial sweetener. We're following a low carb diet and staying away from the artificial crap. It's amazing to me that noone around us carries anything like this? Idea's?

Replies

• jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Bump! I have wondered about this as well.

I usually do sugar free drinks, but on my long runs (anything over 13 miles) I have been using Gatorade with the sugar, because my body can use the extra glucose.

Any other workout, and I just use water currently, but it would be nice to hear what works for other people.
  • SarahFrankel
    SarahFrankel Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to use is this powder from Whole Foods, they sell it in the vitamins area, but it's like 30-something cents per packet and you just add it to water. It's lemon lime flavor I believe. Here is a pic:
    http://karins.typepad.com/.a/6a012877a79fb2970c014e8800c874970d-800wi
  • joannepapas
    joannepapas Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a drink to replace electrolytes during/after heavy exercise? We've been looking everywhere and the only ones that are sugar free also have Sucralose or some other artificial sweetener. We're following a low carb diet and staying away from the artificial crap. It's amazing to me that noone around us carries anything like this? Idea's?

Try coconut water. That is supposed to be very good at restoring hydration and balancing your body. I think you have to go to the health food store or Whole Foods for it though.
  • SarahFrankel
    SarahFrankel Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest coconut water too, it's awesome :)
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    I use Smart Water. It has all the electrolytes without the junk.
  • joannepapas
    joannepapas Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Oh...and also that one water....Smart Water! It's flavorless....tastes just like water...but has the electrolytes in it.
  • kittrelle
    Options
    I've seen a couple of places where they say chocolate milk(!) is excellent for doing just that!! Who knew?! I'd been buying Powerade and GAtorade for my boys all these years...
  • innerspiraling
    innerspiraling Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Use electrolyte pills instead. Hammer Nutrition makes some that work well.
  • jmott27
    jmott27 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Emergen-C makes an electrolyte mix. Lemon lime flavor in a green packet. I buy it at Mother's Market, and it should be with all of the other Emergen-C products.
  • TipMcE
    TipMcE Posts: 158
    Options
    O water is great too. Lots of different flavors (but off the top of my head I can't remember if they're artificially flavored). You can get it at regular grocery stores.
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    would include a little more salt and potasuim in the diet work?
  • TipMcE
    TipMcE Posts: 158
    Options
    Oh and coconut water is probably the best natural option. I've seen it at my local grocery store and at Costco.
  • NiciS72
    Options
    The problem with coconut water is the high carbs, so that one is out.

Adding additional salt/potassium to my diet isn't the issue when eating. I need it when I bike 15+ miles as I get the "Heat Headache" that lasts for days. I've had this issue since I was a child and know that drinking gatorade etc. does help. I just want to stay away from sugar/high carbs/artificial sweeteners altogether.

I'll look for some of the other options everyone has mentioned. Some of them sound familiar and we do have Whole Foods! Thanks for all the replies/options!
  • lalalazzz
    lalalazzz Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I like emergen-c.
  • NiciS72
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the ideas. I'm going with Smart Water for now. All of the powders I found @ Whole Foods had Maltodextrin in them, whic is typically made from wheat. Since I have to be gluten free, those are out until I can determine the source of it from the company. *fingers crossed* I am hoping the Emergen-C is made from corn as it was an excellent option with many flavors!
  • Beneves
    Beneves Posts: 1
    Options
    Voltaic Electrolights! Zero sugar, all-natural and only the necessities, I love this stuff
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the ideas. I'm going with Smart Water for now. All of the powders I found @ Whole Foods had Maltodextrin in them, whic is typically made from wheat. Since I have to be gluten free, those are out until I can determine the source of it from the company. *fingers crossed* I am hoping the Emergen-C is made from corn as it was an excellent option with many flavors!

Have you looked into NUUN all naturals?
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Here is a BCAA drink with Electrolytes. It does have sucarlose though.
    http://usplabsdirect.com/mbcaa.html
  • Twiggsnstyx
    Twiggsnstyx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have only come across one electrolyte product that does not add any sweetener:

Celtic Sea Salt Electrolyte Powder Drink Mix

I personally make and consume bone broth with hymalain salt which contains over 80 trace elements :wink: