Smoothies with Kale and Spinach - Suggestions..?

I normally just eat berries, Greek yogurt and flax seed mixed together in my smoothies...I bought Kale and Spinach tonight at the store to try and get some more greens in and I wanted to blend them into my smoothies,

first question..does anyone mix Kale and Spinach with Greek yogurt and berries because I think this is going to be my breakfast tomorrow... :)

2nd question, if you have suggestions on what would be good, fat burning, low cal, speed up metabolism ingredients - please let me know! ;)

Thank your for your time reading my post. HOPE YOU ALL HAD A GREAT WEEKEND AND HAD SOME AMAZING WORKOUTS or some good RESTING too;) <3:drinker:

Replies

• I make spinach, blueberries and bananas. There is a website that you may enjoy. www.greensmoothies.com

Ever heard of Victoria Boutenko? This is her website. She has done MUCH research on the topic of Green Smoothies. If you can read her books they are excellent~

Best of LUCK
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    I've not tried kale but I put baby spinach in my smoothies pretty regularly and it simply disappears. You'd never know it was in there :)
  • Sorry that was the wrong address: http://www.rawfamily.com/green-smoothie

http://greensmoothiesblog.com/ This is all about Green Smoothies. There is also a iphone app.
  • Those sound good. I've also added a 1/2 c of fruit juice concentrate to the mix and some ice. Yum. With a good blender you can make many smoothies or high protein soups too.
    As for the 2nd part I'm just starting out, again, so I can't answer your quesion(s). Yet.
  • Heres a good energy booster

1 handful of fresh spinach
    1 cup sliced bananas
    1 scoop soy protein powder
    2 tbsp flaxseed oil
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 ice cubes
    Blend
    makes 2 servings

per serving:
    cals: 220
    fat: 14g
    sat fat: 1.5g
    carbs: 18g
    fiber: 3g
    protein: 9
  • Tribbey143
    Tribbey143 Posts: 388 Member
    yay thank you all loveed the input! :) much appreciated.
  • Rajrand
    Rajrand Posts: 13
    Whenever i make smoothies (even if they are protein smoothies) i always use spinach. The website that someone suggested by Victoria Boutenko is excellent start. I downloaded her app on my ipod for ideas. One thing to keep in mind that spinach has neutral flvor so it works with all types of fruits (low caloric like apples, all berries, pears) but kale being tougher green requires sweeter fruits to mask the flavor (and i do not use it in protein shakes) but just regular fruit smoothies. I usually use pineapple, mango, orange, peaches etc. with kale or even swiss chard.

Frozen banana is a constant in my smoothies though. So, from the ingredients i mentioned above you can mix and match and create your own smoothie. When i use more tropical fruits such as pineapple, mango, orange i also use coconut water over plain water or almond milk. Hope this helps
  • yogabebe
    yogabebe Posts: 38
    I usually have a protein or kale smoothie in the morning for breakfast. I've been drinking kale smoothies consistently for the past two months (average 5xs a week) or so and I can say that I have definitely seen a difference in my energy levels and skin and health.

Here is my recipe:

2-3 big leafs of green kale
    2/3 cup-1 cup of low fat or skim milk
    1 tablespoon of flax seeds
    1 small banana
    1 scoop of Green Vibrance powder (I've been adding this for about 3 weeks now and this has been a big energy booster)
    ice

:)
  • rdmchugh
    rdmchugh Posts: 76
    I do a spinach smoothie every morning. The spinach does just disappear as far as flavor goes. My summer smoothies:

1 whole mango (pealed and pitted)
    2 whole peaches (pitted)
    1/4 block of tofu
    Generous handful of spinach
    6-8 oz Goodbelly (or any sugar free fruit juice)
    1/2 cup filtered water

Or

1 pint blueberries
    1/4 block of tofu
    Generous handful of spinach
    6-8 oz Goodbelly (or any sugar free fruit juice)
    1/2 cup filtered water

When strawberries are in season, they are really good with a kiwi thrown in. Mangos are wonderful with a bit of fresh cut pineapple! In the winter I use a apples and a hint of cinnamon. I have trouble with dairy, so I have to steer clear of yogurt on a daily basis.
  • pittures
    pittures Posts: 44 Member
    if I make a smoothie and drink part now and part later am I logging all the ingredients in my list separately (half the amounts now and half later) or am I creating a recipe and identifying a serving size?

I would think that it would work out to be the same totals but it wasn't when I tried it.
    I may have done something wrong?
    Is one way more acceptable over the other? (or more accurate I guess is the better word)?

thanks