True Keto

Options
LisaMC1R
LisaMC1R Posts: 34 Member
I'm curious to see what a true Keto diet looks like for a day or a two. Would someone mind sharing where there macro numbers are set on MFP and what they are eating? Preferably to lose weight would be helpful.
Thank you very much. Lisa

Replies

• LisaMC1R
    LisaMC1R Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Awesome Thank you! One question, do you use strips to measure if you are in Ketosis or not?
  • SarcasticBlondie2
    SarcasticBlondie2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I used to in the beginning. They stopped showing after I was fat adapted for awhile.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I follow a Keto diet and my diary is open. Feel free to add me as a friend. My last two days aren’t good examples though, I’ve been stressed and not eating well.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    mojo6812 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Try the Low Carber Daily or Keto MFP groups. Many members have open diaries in there and are wanting to add friends.

A ketogenic diet is basically just low enough carbs that you are in ketosis the vast majority of the time. For many people, that's under around 50 g ( net or total) carbs a day. Those with insulin resistance nay need to go lower, like 20-30g a day, and very active healthy people can go a fair bit higher, like over 100g+, especially if carbs are consumed around exercise.

For carbs, macros are generally set from 0-15%, with 5-10% seeming to be the most common. It depends on your calorie intake. 50g carbs is 200 kcal, which may be around 17% if calories are around 1200. That same carb level might be more like 7% for someone who eats close to 3000 kcal.

Protein is usually moderate, often 0.8 g per pound body weight. Near 100 g is pretty common, give or take around 30g. Some will go higher. Not many go lower unless they have a medical issue. As a macro, protein seems to usually be around 20-25%, or a bit higher if losing weight.

Fat is the rest.

My macros are usually 0-5% carbs, 20-25% protein, and 70-80% fat. I'm on the lower end of the carb spectrum for keto. When losing I eat around 1400-1800 kcal, and maintenance is usually around 2500 kcal. Approximately.

ETA I used ketostix in the beginning too. I'm another who barely tests positive anymore - I guess I don't excrete excess ketones much anymore.

I’m just starting keto and altered my fats sugars protein on mfp and it’s given me a certain amount of calories daily. Do I use mfp daily calories or should I be just eating 1200 a day ? I’m type 2 and need to lose weight.

Your calorie intake depends on your size and activity level.

I usually ate 1500 kcal a day. I'm 5'8", had 40lbs to lose, and was inactive. I was prediabetic and lost 2-3 lbs a week on most weeks for the first twenty pounds or so.

Some will lose at a higher calorie intake. Others might do better with less.
  • evanjdittrich
    evanjdittrich Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am just starting the Keto diet After many years of indulging in sugar .
    Any tips to speed up the Ketosis and to deal with the withdrawals ?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options

There is functionally no way to speed up the ketosis - your body will adapt to burning fat at it's own rate. Some folks go into ketosis very easily and very quickly (2-3 days) while others can take a week or more... there is just no way to tell until you try it.
  • WarEagleWY
    WarEagleWY Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Relatively new to the Keto diet and although I'm not sure if I'm even close to ketosis or if I'm even doing it right, cutting out the carbs (especially refined carbs) and all sugars has me feeling great. The problem I'm running into is that I seem to be exceeding my protein target almost everyday. According to one of the Keto calculators I used for an 1800 calorie/day diet I should be at around 109g of protein, but I keep coming in at 125g-130g. I'm just concerned that I'm below the target on carbs (10g or so a day) and my fat intake looks good (130ish grams/day) but I don't want my protein intake to screw me up. Should I be concerned?

Also, I'm seeing a lot about monitoring ketones and I'm thinking I should start with the keto strips but I'm seeing a lot about issues with accuracy being impacted by things like hydration and being fat adapted. Any suggestions/thoughts?
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    So yesterday, was the first day that I just played around with my food to model after keto. I woke-up, did a fasted workout, and made an emphasis on getting fat, protein, and fiber. I ended my day with 61% fat, 32% Prtien, and 15% Carbs. I didn't test my ketones, but was wondering, for those who do keto, did your first night go roughly? My mouth is so incredibly dry & just has a hollow feel to it, which made sleep so hard. I only got 5 1/2 hours a sleep, because I couldn't relax. Is this normal? Will I snap out of this soon?

My journal is open, so feel free to look and let me know thoughts. Like I said, it was really yesterday that I tried this. I haven't seen a nutritionist, but read Kelly Leveque's "Body Love" book and have been following her advice that she gives in the book, also various podcasts she has guest spoke on, as well as articles written or featuring her.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    blb85 wrote: »
    So yesterday, was the first day that I just played around with my food to model after keto. I woke-up, did a fasted workout, and made an emphasis on getting fat, protein, and fiber. I ended my day with 61% fat, 32% Prtien, and 15% Carbs. I didn't test my ketones, but was wondering, for those who do keto, did your first night go roughly? My mouth is so incredibly dry & just has a hollow feel to it, which made sleep so hard. I only got 5 1/2 hours a sleep, because I couldn't relax. Is this normal? Will I snap out of this soon?

My journal is open, so feel free to look and let me know thoughts. Like I said, it was really yesterday that I tried this. I haven't seen a nutritionist, but read Kelly Leveque's "Body Love" book and have been following her advice that she gives in the book, also various podcasts she has guest spoke on, as well as articles written or featuring her.

Did you increase sodium to at least 3000-5000 mg? You'll be losing electrolytes with water and you need to replace it or you'll start feeling poorly. (2300 mg sodium = 1 tsp salt)

I tend to need less sleep when keto. I used to fall asleep at 9pm and get up at 6-7am. Now I will often stay up past 11 and wake around the same time. I feel fine with it. YMMV
  • Matt42489
    Matt42489 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Make your calories 75% fat 20% protein and 5% fat. Make sure your sodium magnesium and potassium are higher than normal and your good. Love keto 💪🏼
  • blb85
    Options
    Apparently only got 2,432 mg yesterday, and that's a rough estimate since I don't weigh/measure my foods. I just bought keto strips and just tested, and apparently am producing ketones! I just didn't realize it could even happen that fast. I literally just played around with it, didn't give it that much thought, since I assumed it would take a few days to happen.
  • blb85
    Options
    I guess I'm not going "true" keto, because I'm more tracking Carbs as "Net Carbs" so fiber, to me, doesn't count. I still know I need vegetables, so for me, I'm making sure I get fiber, but that my carbs are under 25 grams net of fiber (since obviously 1 gram of fiber is 1 gram of carb; and science proves carbs become glucose except fiber does not).
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    blb85 wrote: »
    Apparently only got 2,432 mg yesterday, and that's a rough estimate since I don't weigh/measure my foods. I just bought keto strips and just tested, and apparently am producing ketones! I just didn't realize it could even happen that fast. I literally just played around with it, didn't give it that much thought, since I assumed it would take a few days to happen.

You may end up needing more. If you get the headache, fatigue, moodiness, brain fog, nausea, muscle weakness and spasms, or bm issues, then you know you need more. I used to just pour half a teaspoon of salt into my hand and eat it with water or I never got enough. LOL

Keto can track total carbs (all carbs including fibre) or net carbs (total carbs minus fibre). There is no true keto. Just do what works for you. :)
  • MyopicMeow
    MyopicMeow Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this thread. I've been doing keto for exactly 1 week tomorrow. Wish I would have read the bit about the MCT oil about 6 days ago. Would have saved me a bunch of trouble. My friend turned me on to this stuff by Perfect Keto. One is the MCT oil and one is the BHB electrolytes. Seems to work great except I should have eased into it. My real concern is that I'm testing with the sticks but its coming out at the very highest level of ketones. I keep my macros at 5/85/10 and my sodium seems to be fine but definitely need this fog to go away.

I'd love to see what you guys are eating because its been a week and my diet is extremely basic and feels very unhealthy. Hope you don't mind if I add you. Feel free to add me. I'm new to this and may screw it up.
  • Mazda_Mx5
    Mazda_Mx5 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

If you do want to get into ketosis faster or deeper, there are a few tricks you can do to do it, but there is in weight loss benefit to doing so. Just more ketones a bit faster.

MCT oil, like in coconut oil, will raise ketones, even in the presence of carbs, due to how it is metabolized. Be aware that increasing MCT oil quickly often leads to diarrhea.

Fast. If you eat nothing you'll get into ketosis faster.

Exercise will help burn off glycogen stores do your body needs to make the switch to ketosis a bit earlier than if you were sedentary.

Don't forget to increase sodium as you lower carbs. It's the only way to avoid the electrolyte imbalance/low carb flu. Good luck.

Wouldn't eating zero carbs be a fast way to Keto ?