add food to diary before you eat it

Options
I would give in to a craving and then add it to my diary and see how expensive that was, but the enjoyment of the taste was gone and all I had is regret and calories. I now add the food before I eat it and I can see if it is just really worth it or not.

Replies

• Oliversmummyx
    Options
    Ohh me too! Keeps me on the straight and narrow some times ;)
  • Oliversmummyx
    Options
    Ohh me too! Keeps me on the straight and narrow some times ;)
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Me too, I find it really helps :)
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do that as well.

I will also input my dinner ahead of time, if known, so I know if there will be any extra calories for mid-day or evening snacks, etc.... I definitely makes me think twice before I put something in my mouth.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I do it all of the time. I'm watching my carbs and I had a big craving for frozen yogurt the other day. I found it, plugged it in, looked at what it did to my numbers, look at it again and ended up not having anything at all.

I'll also enter in my lunch and dinner when I'm making them and before I've eaten them. I'll adjust as necessary. I've come to the conclusion that I really just enjoy the act of logging.
  • nikniki
    nikniki Posts: 21
    Options
    That is a good Idea I never actually thought of that cause they is frequent for me
  • pope369
    pope369 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    hmmm, I think I might try that, especailly where wine is involved. I tend to drink first, ask questions later (like how far over my calorie goal did that send me?)
  • astul
    astul Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I plan the whole day then know how much exercise I need to do and any extra, I can then have a treat!!
  • GrannyCynth
    GrannyCynth Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I too add the meals before I eat it.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Ahaha I do this all the time... play around with different meals/drinks/snacks... When you see the numbers on there, some times it just makes you rethink the decision.
  • fitwatch
    fitwatch Posts: 61
    Options
    this is a good idea. i usually record AFTER but before makes the choice more clear.
  • jennor8or
    jennor8or Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    i put in all of my meals for the day and 2 snacks... usually i have 200-250 calories left...then i work out and add in snacks anytime i feel hungry... i end up feeling like i ate the WHOLE day! lol
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Me too. I plan the whole day also the night before then whatever calroies are left I know I have to play with and don't feel guilty for that biscuit or bit chocolate.

i find it a lot easier to keep track of myself this way
  • Chastityx
    Chastityx Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    great idea to add in dinner too, so I know where I will be at before I sneak that snack
  • houzkat
    houzkat Posts: 78
    Options
    I do that especially when my husband wants to cook. He has a heavy hand with cheese and olive oil in just about every dinner he makes. I started using little plates and little forks so it's still a whole plate of food but I'm not eating a crazy amount of calories. I also like to calculate how much exercise would make up for it if I don't have enough calories left for something I want. Then I decide if it's worth however many minutes on the elliptical it would take to make it up. I love to make bargains with myself :)
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have done that after opening something up and just had to throw it away because I wasn't going to waste 200 calories on something small, or didn't realize that there were 36 sugars in a cup of fruit that I was eating.
    This is very good advice. !!! Thanks for posting
  • SRGutierrez
    Options
    I try to plan my entire day that way, especially if I've got a heavy weight training day that way I can incorporate my protien shakes along the day, more efficient that way, I think.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I usually plan my whole day ahead of time...food and exercise. I tend to do most of my exercise in the evening after the kids have gone to bed so I eat my exercise calories before I even exercise. Forces me to exercise!
  • LPC020409
    LPC020409 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I plan the whole day then know how much exercise I need to do and any extra, I can then have a treat!!

This is exactly what I do. I plan my day out the day before and then I know what kind of workout I need to do.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Yep. I use mine as a menu planner. I don't think well when I first wake up and have to pack my meals for work. Much easier to decide the day before, then just pack what I plan.