200+lbs to lose

Options
truff69
truff69 Posts: 8 Member
Hello MFPers. I'm 13 days in to my 200+lb weight loss journey and so far so good -12lbs down (I know that's mainly water etc rather than fat but it's a nice boost to get started!).

I have started down this road many many times before and once managed to lose 100lbs (all gained back) but I've spent a long time thinking about and planning how to make it work this time for the long run.

If I had to label it I'd say I'm following a low-carb-mediterranean-style diet - lots of veg plus fish, meat, nuts, beans, full fat dairy, non-tropical fruits and occasional oats, bulgur wheat, quinoa. It's keeping me full and satisfied on around 1600 calories a day.

I haven't cracked exercise yet, other than trying to increase my step count I really don't know what to do at my current weight.

If you've achieved this kind of loss, or if you're on the journey too, I'd love to hear how you keep going over such a long period - I know this is going to take 2+ years for me!

Replies

• Crashdown1916
    Crashdown1916 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    First of all well done for tackeling it again ! I just started my -100 lb challange so I feel you . I’m still trying to adjust my
    Portions what’s the hardest really :/ good luck through !
  • truff69
    Options
    Hi there!! Instead of thinking how you're going to keep going for two years, think about how you want to eat and move for the rest of your life, which you have to, in order to not regain. Losing is actually quite easy, compared to maintenance, you kow that - at least if you haven't prepared yourself. The weightloss phase should ideally be a dress rehearsal for maintenance.

Thank you, that's a great way to look at it. Two things I have done already to make this a plan for life - I weigh myself every day and aim to continue to do this no matter what (no more pretending I'm not gaining it back after losing!), and I'm finding a low carb approach keeps me fuller and more satisfied - I used to eat loads of carbs but was always hungry. These habits will hopefully make this the last time I have to do this!
  • christiejzemmin
    christiejzemmin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started my journey and look forward to touching base with others in similar situations. I am mid 40’s and my goal is 150 pounds. I’ve lost in the past only to regain. I am taking it nice and slow and incorporating new healthy habits to replace the old. My main focus to start is increasing my steps and adding more veggies. I want this to be a lifestyle change and not ‘just a diet’. I am trying to be mindful of all of my health including sleeping well and my emotions when I eat so that I am aware Of any habits there. Thank you to all who have shared! You all have given me a nugget of good!
  • iRyanS
    iRyanS Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm also on a similar weight loss journey. I'm looking to lose 200-220 pounds. Currently, I'm down 74 pounds in 4 months. Like you said, itll be a long journey, but set yourself up with smaller milestones (first 15, 20 pounds lose, etc.)

It's good to see that you're starting on your diet first instead of jumping into exercise - weight loss starts in the kitchen.

Good luck!
  • truff69
    Options
    iRyanS wrote: »
    Hi there! I'm also on a similar weight loss journey. I'm looking to lose 200-220 pounds. Currently, I'm down 74 pounds in 4 months. Like you said, itll be a long journey, but set yourself up with smaller milestones (first 15, 20 pounds lose, etc.)

It's good to see that you're starting on your diet first instead of jumping into exercise - weight loss starts in the kitchen.

Good luck!

Thank you - and wow, that's a great result, well done.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am glad to see you back at it. I have a good feeling this time will be the time for you. :) I personally am aiming to lose 100+, and I have been going really well the last couple of weeks. If you need a friend, feel free to add me - we can do this together!
  • Navallez
    Navallez Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Same here, I have 100+ lbs to lose one day at a time. Fell free to add me everyone can certainly use all the support and motivation I can get. We can do this!!
  • KimR_1986
    KimR_1986 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi there, 135lbs to lose here to get me into at least the low end of overweight. Please feel free to add me, reading peoples posts and accomplishments really fuels me to keep going. :)