Burning more calories than you eat?

Options
I've been doing some research on different weight loss techniques (when to eat, what to eat, how much to eat etc) and I keep coming across the same statement everywhere I go:

"Losing weight is a simple mathematical formula: You need to burn more calories than you eat. Experts generally recommend creating a deficit of 500 calories per day through a combination of eating fewer calories and increasing physical activity. Over the course of a week, this should yield a loss of about 1-2 pounds of fat." -WebMD feature

If that were true, I'd have to be eating -500 calories a day. Not sure how safe that is, but I've read it on quite a few different "health" websites. I wonder if this has any validity?

Replies

• Orthidox
    Options
    My friend eats around 1000 calories a day (lots of fruit and vegetables) with little to no meat, I like the vegitarian bergers and stuff so I try and get that when i can instead of ground beef (tastes the same to me lol)

You can eat a LOT of fruit and veggies for as little as 500 calories, and I mean a LOT. Human's main diet is supposed to be fruit and veggies anyways from what I heard.
  • Kristina0202
    Kristina0202 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If you look at your BMR under 'tools' it gives you an estimate of how many calories your body would burn a day if you did nothing. Just eat less than whatever that number is.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    This blog explains the concept very well.....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics
  • Aquafyre
    Options
    You're forgetting that your body needs energy to survive, even while resting. If you look under tools on this site you'll find a BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) calculator. Input your information and it will tell you how many calories your body needs to maintain it's current weight if you did nothing but sit around all day. Subtract the 500 calories from that number and use that for your goal, so if it suggests you need 1700 calories, you'd want to try to eat about 1200. If you work out, you also want to eat the calories you've burned. So if you burn 200 calories working out, you'd up your intake from 1200 to 1400 and still lose weight.
  • kmacken
    kmacken Posts: 3
    Options
    The "experts" say 500 less. That means 500 less than your resting metabolic rate (the amount of calories you burn a day). If you are maintaining your weight, then that means you eat the same number of calories you burn. If you are gaining weight it means you're eating more than your body is burning. And if you are losing weight, it means your body is burning more calories than you're eating. So in the end it really is simple math. The complex part is finding a way to get all of the nutrients you need within that caloric budget. In order to do this, you must eat healthy. That and exercising, in order to create a calorie deficit will cause you to lose weight in a healthy way.
    So, I'll use myself as an example to explain the numbers. My resting metabolic rate is around 2000 calories. So if i just go about my day and do not do any strenuous exercise, I can eat 2000 calories, and expect to weigh the same amount the next day. If I exercise and burn 500 calories, I can eat 2500 calories and expect to weigh the same the next day. If, however, I burn 500 calories exercising, and still only eat 2000 calories, I can expect to have lost weight the next day, because I created a 500 calorie deficit. This means that my body burned 2000 calories just living all day, and 500 calories exercising, so it burned a total of 2500 calories. Since I only ate 2000, i burned 500 more calories than I ate.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    This is accurate, but many people don't understand it fully. To make it true, you have to consider ALL of the calories you burn. Your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure or maintenance calories) includes BMR + daily activity level + purposeful exercise.

MFP takes your BMR (under Tools) and adds a daily activity level factor (which does NOT include purposeful exercise). It then deducts a built in deficit, based on your loss per week goal. This is your initial daily cal goal.

But since exercise has not been accounted for yet, when you log exercise cals are added back in to maintain that deficit and keep your weight loss stable. So your NET calories (on home page) should match your initial daily goal.

Basically, MFP does all the work for you. Just enter your info correctly, choose an appropriate goal for how much you have to lose, and then aim to MEET your cal and macro goals each day.

These threads may help, also:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    If you look at your BMR under 'tools' it gives you an estimate of how many calories your body would burn a day if you did nothing. Just eat less than whatever that number is.

Just to clarify, most people (unless obese/morbidly obese, and even then it's often not necessary) should NOT eat less than BMR - as BMR is what you burn as if in a coma, for basic functions. You want to eat less than your TDEE, or maintenance calories - you can see MFP's estimate for this under Goals, at the top right.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I've been doing some research on different weight loss techniques (when to eat, what to eat, how much to eat etc) and I keep coming across the same statement everywhere I go:

"Losing weight is a simple mathematical formula: You need to burn more calories than you eat. Experts generally recommend creating a deficit of 500 calories per day through a combination of eating fewer calories and increasing physical activity. Over the course of a week, this should yield a loss of about 1-2 pounds of fat." -WebMD feature

If that were true, I'd have to be eating -500 calories a day. Not sure how safe that is, but I've read it on quite a few different "health" websites. I wonder if this has any validity?

you are confused. your body already burns a certain amount of calories just doing nothing. so you have to eat them to survive, then you have to take into a count your activity level. the defecit is 500 off that amount, then exercise is an extra bonus defecit
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Burn more than you eat does not mean WORK OUT all you calories. It means 500-1000 calories less than your BMR (Basal Metabolism Rate). Remember that your body burns calories by living!
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Ok. My BMW is 1,604.. so I need to eat how many calories to lose weight I'm confused. Does the daily summary include my BMW already when it calculates how many I should be eating to lose weight?
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Ok. My BMW is 1,604.. so I need to eat how many calories to lose weight I'm confused. Does the daily summary include my BMW already when it calculates how many I should be eating to lose weight?

BMR, not BMW lol

Yes, MFP has already done the calculations for you. As long as you've chosen an appropriate loss per week goal (see the links I posted previously - according to your ticker, should be about 1 lb per week), then just eat what MFP tells you. MFP will include a deficit for weight loss based on your loss per week goal in what it tells you to eat.
  • deverez
    deverez Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Your BMR is 1,604. That means the calories your body requires to maintain its weight is 1,604. To achieve a daily 500 calorie deficit just by dieting, you would need to eat 1,104 calories daily. This does not include exercise.

If you burned an estimated 200 calories while exercising, you could eat 1,304 for the day and still have a deficit of 500 calories.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

Your BMR is 1,604. That means the calories your body requires to maintain its weight is 1,604. To achieve a daily 500 calorie deficit just by dieting, you would need to eat 1,104 calories daily. This does not include exercise.

If you burned an estimated 200 calories while exercising, you could eat 1,304 for the day and still have a deficit of 500 calories.

I'm sorry, but this is incorrect.

BMR is NOT maintenance calories. Maintenance calories is BMR + daily activity level + purposeful exercise. BMR is basal metabolic rate, and is what you burn as if in a coma - as soon as you get out of bed you burn more than that.

So it looks like this:
    BMR = 1604
    Activity Level (using sedentary as an example) = 320
    Maintenance calories = 1924.... This does NOT include any purposeful exercise.

The deficit comes from 1924, NOT 1604. If you do it that way, you'll be undereating.

So, with a 1 lb per week loss goal as an example, you have a 500 cal deficit per day (500 x 7 = 3500 or 1 lb). So the daily cal goal BEFORE purposeful exercise would be 1424. If you exercise 200 cals, then you would eat 1624 to maintain the 500 cal deficit.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have a Bodybugg. My goal for calorie burn each day is 2600 calories. Thus, my target calorie intake is 1600. By wearing the Bodybugg, I know exactly what I'm burning. So if I have a day where I am less active, I know I need to cut my calories back. On days I am more active than "average," I know that I need to up my calories. The goal is to have a 1,000 calorie deficit and eat 1,000 less than I burn. This ensures a loss of 2 pounds of fat a week, on average.

It's not JUST about the calories, though. I am careful in my ratios. I am following the Diet Solution Plan. I am protein type metabolism needing 1600 calories a day. So I know that my meals and snacks need to have a specific protein to carb to fat ratio. When I eat this way, not only do I stay in my calorie requirements, but I feel full longer, my carb cravings stay in check and I feel healthy, satisfied and strong.

God bless!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    The maintenance calories, the calorie deficit calculated by MFP, and the projected weight loss can all be found on Home -> Goals. It's worth checking that page to make sure everything is set up the way you think it is, but you shouldn't need to do any of the math yourself.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    hI!

Just wanted to add that I would put my money on the info and advice you are getting from ladyhawk00. She is one of our sites best fitness gurus and has helped me through her writings!

Best of Luck and trust the process :smile:
  • deverez
    deverez Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but this is incorrect.

BMR is NOT maintenance calories. Maintenance calories is BMR + daily activity level + purposeful exercise. BMR is basal metabolic rate, and is what you burn as if in a coma - as soon as you get out of bed you burn more than that.

So it looks like this:
    BMR = 1604
    Activity Level (using sedentary as an example) = 320
    Maintenance calories = 1924.... This does NOT include any purposeful exercise.

The deficit comes from 1924, NOT 1604. If you do it that way, you'll be undereating.

So, with a 1 lb per week loss goal as an example, you have a 500 cal deficit per day (500 x 7 = 3500 or 1 lb). So the daily cal goal BEFORE purposeful exercise would be 1424. If you exercise 200 cals, then you would eat 1624 to maintain the 500 cal deficit.

Semantics.

I left out the 1.2 sedentary multiplier for the deficit.
  • NatalieGJx
    NatalieGJx Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi I'm struggling to understand what happens once you lower calorie intake then exercise? So my BMR is 1777 and I want to lose a stone. I'm 10 stone 5ft 8. I cut calories to 1200 and follow it via my fitness pal. This also includes my normal walking/cleaning exercise. So I eat more than 1200 but my daily exercise cuts this to the 1200. Now I've also joined the gym, and burn about 500 cal a workout. so If I make it 1200-500 so 700 a day. Is that right? Seems very low. Bear in mind it's only my first session and I will only do it 3 times a week. What is this 1lb a week then? I'm trying to work it out then as 8400 a week, - 1500 for the gym stuff. 6900 a week down from 12390 my old "level"... Can anyone help me here?! I want to achieve 2lb loss a week at least. Healthily!
    Ps will this come off my belly? This is where I hold weight!
    Any recommendations for me at the gym- will weights help or should I stick to rowing/treadmill/bike and sweat off the blubber?!
    Thanks in advance and I am so sorry if I've bumped anything.. It came up on google!

Nat