Carrots raw

Options
Can too many carrots have a negative effect to my diet?

Replies

• Mazda_Mx5
    Mazda_Mx5 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I heard if you eat to much you turn orange .
    I don't know if that is true or not .
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of would be the risk of Vitamin A toxicity. Not sure how much you would have to eat or for how long of a time frame.
  • MsMSPrice
    MsMSPrice Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Eating too much of anything can make you sick and I suppose you could technically eat enough carrots to get fat, but eating "a lot" (say, two dozen large?) carrots a day wouldn't do anything to you other than make you sick of carrots. Eat lots of things to get your nutrients.

If you want to eat a lot of carrots, I could give you a carrot soup recipe.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    The only thing I can think of would be the risk of Vitamin A toxicity. Not sure how much you would have to eat or for how long of a time frame.

Pretty much not going to happen, the "vitamin A" in food (as opposed to supplements) is actually a vitamin A precursor that your body uses to make vitamin A itself, and it will stop that conversion process short of toxicity unless you have some kind of medical issue that interferes with your body's regulation of vitamin A production.

ETA - @MaxBeedie If you're eating so many carrots that you don't have room in your diet for other foods with nutrients your body needs, that's a negative effect, and that would be too many carrots