Something that bothers me a bit.

Options
brittanyjeanxo
brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
WARNING: I am going to complain. If you don't want to hear complaining, or if you are just going to read in order to pick a fight, please move along ;)

One thing that bothers me is that some people seem to forget that no one on this website (well, at least very few I imagine) are fitness experts. Don't get me wrong, giving advice that has worked for you in the past or linking to an article can be very helpful; I ask for people's opinions all the time! I'm just tired of seeing "Actually, it's a proven fact that blah blah blah..." if one person is giving advice to another person, it is (or at least should be) a given that any information passed from one person to another should be taken with a grain of salt. If we were all experts, we wouldn't be here trying to lose weight, would we? What I'm getting at here is A. you shouldn't take people's advice and opinions as facts. While it may have worked for them, it might not work for you. and B. You are not an expert! Don't pretend like you are, and if you are, why the hell are you here? ;)
EDIT: as one lovely lady made clear to me, I would like to clarify: this is mostly referring to the ones that talk as though they're an expert, but then tell other people their opinions are wrong and etc. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and free to live happily in their delusions, but if you're making others feel stupid or telling others what worked for them is wrong, I'll be glad to burst your bubble :P

Whining is over :)

Replies

• sldavis73
    Options
    totaly agree!!!

:)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert, but I play one on the internet.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    I am not an expert, but I play one on the internet.

Hahah xD
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Love the honesty...I just say hey this is the way I do things and it works for me. Just gotta find your way and stick to it. :drinker:
  • Derameth
    Derameth Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely right. I know that when I tried to lose weight, I would try anything that anyone said.... Finally, I found what worked for ME. I am not an expert for ANYONE but me! I know how I worked at getting rid of 100 lbs... and what worked for me to do that.

Just as we are all individuals, so is our weight loss journey. I, however, wouldn't be so hard on folks that just wanna help. Getting information can only make you more aware of the potentials. Just because someone says, "it's a proven fact" doesn't mean that it is, but it also doesn't mean it can't work for you, or someone else.

After due diligence, I have found out what works for me, and my body. Just think of the "experts" as giving you tools to use. If they work for "your job" (of weight loss) fine, if not, then it wasn't the right tool for you!

Good Luck...and keep up the good work.

Dee
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I AM an expert..... at losing weight, gaining weight, losing weight....... :noway:

That being said.... I agree with you. :wink:
  • gloryrest
    gloryrest Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You are free to give your opinion. But there is no problem with one that might view themselves as an expert in this or that. . still their right to voice it. Everyone's views respected and some by nature will be more zealous than others. .it is what it is. I love the forward disclaimer btw, it gave me the warning if I wanted to go in or not. I find that some don't know really how to give opinions and they feel so compassionate about what they believe they fail to give the receiver room to take it or leave it. So anyway, such as life and I didn't find your words from a complaining spirit. Live and let live. Onward!
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    WARNING: I am going to complain. If you don't want to hear complaining, or if you are just going to read in order to pick a fight, please move along ;)

One thing that bothers me is that some people seem to forget that no one on this website (well, at least very few I imagine) are fitness experts. Don't get me wrong, giving advice that has worked for you in the past or linking to an article can be very helpful; I ask for people's opinions all the time! I'm just tired of seeing "Actually, it's a proven fact that blah blah blah..." if one person is giving advice to another person, it is (or at least should be) a given that any information passed from one person to another should be taken with a grain of salt. If we were all experts, we wouldn't be here trying to lose weight, would we? What I'm getting at here is A. you shouldn't take people's advice and opinions as facts. While it may have worked for them, it might not work for you. and B. You are not an expert! Don't pretend like you are, and if you are, why the hell are you here? ;)

Whining is over :)

Hey, I am an expert and I have a BS in expertology to prove it. Or is it I am an expert BSer. Whatever, I am very good at it.
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    If I answer to anyone looking for some answers, I will start with - this is what works for me. That is to say, it may work for me, but maybe not for you. I 'google' and encourage other people to do so. I know not all is fact, but again, it gives someone an idea. I fully agree with you, and as long as we can support and encourage one another, that is the most important fact on this website. Take care.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Agree! There's like a sort of group of elitist *kitten* that you get on every internet forum, that don't give advice to help, they just want to act like they know EVERYTHING and lecture you like you're really stupid.

And it's like, if you're so great why are you spending all your time on the internet judging people instead of taking that tanned, toned body of yours to the beach or something, as you evidently enjoy showing off, and clearly must have the body of a god since you're so good at dieting.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    You are free to give your opinion. But there is no problem with one that might view themselves as an expert in this or that. . still their right to voice it. Everyone's views respected and some by nature will be more zealous than others. .it is what it is. I love the forward disclaimer btw, it gave me the warning if I wanted to go in or not. I find that some don't know really how to give opinions and they feel so compassionate about what they believe they fail to give the receiver room to take it or leave it. So anyway, such as life and I didn't find your words from a complaining spirit. Live and let live. Onward!

True, but I should clarify as I failed to make this clear in the original post, it was mostly referring to people that do so, and then tell other people that their opinion or what worked for them is "wrong." I've seen this many times, unfortunately. And I try not to sound too complaining :)
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Having lost 80lbs in the past i can say i do have experience. Having lost 17lbs this year i can relate to some questions being asked and will give my opinion. But sometimes i do comment with "why dont you just google it?"
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Agree! There's like a sort of group of elitist *kitten* that you get on every internet forum, that don't give advice to help, they just want to act like they know EVERYTHING and lecture you like you're really stupid.

And it's like, if you're so great why are you spending all your time on the internet judging people instead of taking that tanned, toned body of yours to the beach or something, as you evidently enjoy showing off, and clearly must have the body of a god since you're so good at dieting.

I don't know about you, but the ONLY reason I'm NOT at the beach is work! :(

Also, I wouldn't say that not being in incredible shape means you don't know your stuff or vice versa. Some of the best coaches in sport weren't great athletes, for instance. Knowledge != implementation, as I'm sure many people on MFP will attain to.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

I don't know about you, but the ONLY reason I'm NOT at the beach is work! :(

Mwahahaha I live at the beach, lucky me. Although I do live in Scotland, so I don't get much use out of it...
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I'm a doctor in Mexico.
  • mmcperez
    mmcperez Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm no fitness expert, but i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Having lost 80lbs in the past i can say i do have experience. Having lost 17lbs this year i can relate to some questions being asked and will give my opinion. But sometimes i do comment with "why dont you just google it?"

Google fixes everything!
  • jwerman
    jwerman Posts: 176
    Options
    I don't claim to be an expert, ever! If I were I probably wouldn't be here at MFP. All I know is what works for me...occasionally I may share what I've learned or done, but never do I want to come off as a "know it all" and find those that look down their noses at others extremely irritating also! We are all in this together, that truly should be our attitude. Support, not snobbiness! :)
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    And then again, there are some experts in MFP. The question is how to tell the difference.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Well I believe I'm an expert at Fitness and have worked with numerous types of people to do it, including one armed and legged clients, people with MS, people with RA, obese, underweight, eating disordered, stroke, rehab. So dammit, believe me when I talk about fitness!