HELP!!!! Messed up on first day!

Options
Today was supposed to be a new start, and it was going so well, i'd completed my diary was under my cals and had done exercise too! 427cals exercise and 1467 cals eaten. Then it got to the evening and i dont know what happen i binged like crazy (cake was involved) i dont even dare log as i now how bad it is i deleted today entries as was soo embarrassed. I dont know what happened im fine during the day then later in evening its like i dont know how to stop. How can i change this? what am i doing wrong?

any advice is welcome

xxxx

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You are human and we have all been there. Log it all and start again tomorrow.
  • Cinnamonie
    Cinnamonie Posts: 138
    Options
    That happened to me for months....seeing the success stories here changed my mind. For me I'm realizing I have to avoid that first taste, because if I have it I will not be able to resist eating the whole thing. Try logging calories BEFORE you eat it, so it will help control your portions....(Keep in mind I'm only on day 8 of my new start so....yeah)

Feel free to friend me if you need support from someone who has been there.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    haha Welcome, you will have days like that. The important thing is that you log them and be honest. This will really help you when you look back and see how much better you are doing. I still have binge days and I have been on here since feb. I have also still lost 22lbs and only have 12lb to go. So it's a learning process and the more honest info you give yourself the more you will find out about yourself. It's trial and error, if you mess up, exercise a little more that day. Plan ahead if you are afraid you will binge, keep those foods out of sight. Learn what works for you, but most importantly when you jump off that wagon, jump back on as soon as possible, it's damage control. Good Luck
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    The only way you are going to be able to see the ugly parts as much as the good parts is by logging your food....good, bad AND ugly. It's your first day. You made the decision to be here. Congrats!! That's the first step. Even people who have been on here for months have bad days and freak out. The best advice you will receive is : Log it and know that tomorrow is a new day!
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Just like the catch phrase of AA "One day at a time". What happened is in the past and you can't change it. What you can change is future behavior. Get back on the horse and ride....
  • lynnie30
    lynnie30 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I find that seeing how I messed up keeps me on track at times. Especially when I'm logging in things. I see what really killed it and what may not have been so bad. I know I have been starting over every day- just keep going and be honest with yourself.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    That happened to me for months....seeing the success stories here changed my mind. For me I'm realizing I have to avoid that first taste, because if I have it I will not be able to resist eating the whole thing. Try logging calories BEFORE you eat it, so it will help control your portions....(Keep in mind I'm only on day 8 of my new start so....yeah)

Feel free to friend me if you need support from someone who has been there.

Logging calories BEFORE you eat it is a GREAT reccomendation- I usually do this religiously on days when I'm not exercizing since I have so few those days.
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You're not doing anything wrong. Day one can be tomorrow.

I will make a suggestion - log that food in your diary. In a few days, as you start to get the hang of this, a light bulb might go off and it may all start to make sense. One big thing is to told yourself accountable. By that, I mean, if you eat it, add it. Being accountable doesn't mean to beat yourself up though. Don't beat yourself up - it took a very courageous, strong and dedicated person to post what you did!!

Maybe you're bored at night - try to exercise at night. Maybe you just need some inspiration - check out the motivation boards.

I promise you that many of us had screwy first days, but there's always tomorrow.
  • runnerjenn0708
    runnerjenn0708 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    log it .... love it... and start again tomorrow

been there done that ... and we are all losing the weight as long as you keep on a good path
    Good luck!! Remember to have faith in yourself!!

(NOW I want cake :)
  • LButterfly201
    Options
    hey :)

you're not doing anything wrong. bless you :) it's hard to change things, especially at night. we are all guilty oof binging when the night comes around. It's soooo much easier said than done, but people on here are amazing at giving you encouragement. Firstly, try and surround yourself with healthy foods. (sounds simple, and it is...don't buy the bad things, and you can't eeat them...no one put on loadss of weight from eating fruit :D ) also, try going to bed earlier. this always curbs my eating habits. Or join the No Late Night Snacking Page (link on my page) although everyone is lovely on there, you may feel a bit more inclined to not eat because oyu have to post your results.

You're going to do amazingly well, so don't worry about today's set back. Log your calories, however, because you can see how much over you went. No one is here to judge.

Good Luck :D

(Ps:...cake is hard to resist! i know :D, so instead cut off a slice, cut it in half, then half again...eat each half slowly, and you can go back twice more, but you'll still only have eaten the same amount of cake as you cut) x
  • jkincaid0202
    Options
    I think logging everything even if it is embarrasing if you go over, is a good way to make yourself more aware of what you are putting into your body and a good motivator to not do it again!
  • madyncaden
    madyncaden Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    move on from this point. everyday and even every moment is new:) it will take time, but stay focused and remember what you are working toward and know that you are worth it and it will happen if you keep trying. this is a process that takes time, its a slow race not a sprint!!! good luck!
  • mazza33
    mazza33 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Im new here too. If I can offer any advice at all it would to just be honest with yourself...at the end of the day, you would only be cheating yourself. Log EVERYTHING...that way you start to realise what foods to avoid and personally I feel that I am beginning to register in my own head the best and worst foods to eat (guilt also plays a big part!). Knowing that you have to log and therefore, account for the bad foods calorie wise makes such a big difference and you will eventually see changes in your eating habits.

I hope this helps.

p.s. If it makes you feel any better, I had to log chip shop fish and chips tonight :/ .... but I did exercise it all off :)

Good luck
  • CarmenSox
    CarmenSox Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Just like the catch phrase of AA "One day at a time". What happened is in the past and you can't change it. What you can change is future behavior. Get back on the horse and ride....

Exactly!

You can start over at anytime!
  • iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! Start by re-logging all of the food you had. You can only learn from being honest with yourself. It is hard but you can do it! I have a problem with wanting to eat in the pm too... I drink A LOT of water. I also save some of my calories for the end of the day so I don't go over. We all have days where we feel we could have made better choices but don't stop now! You just have to know that tomorrow is another day and you can do better. It is a huge learning curve/process and we all are on the same journey. If you are really worried about it, close your diary so only you can see it!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Here is my advise. Log it to the best of your ability. This is not about being perfect and lord knows we all make mistakes, but we are here to take ownership of those mistakes and move on. Writing what you ate down, will help you gain control. And do not be embarrassed. We are all here because we have issues with food. Or we wouldn't need the support.

And most importantly, forgive yourself and move on. Do not let this mistake lead to more. I take one choice at a time. When faced with a choice, I try to choose the healthier option. If i fail, I try not to let that bad choice lead to lots of bad choices. (I call this the one cookie vs. whole bag philosophy. :smile: )

Good luck to you!! :flowerforyou:
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    log it .... love it... and start again tomorrow

been there done that ... and we are all losing the weight as long as you keep on a good path
    Good luck!! Remember to have faith in yourself!!

(NOW I want cake :)

LOL! Love your thought process. :laugh:
  • kaylynn54
    kaylynn54 Posts: 141
    Options
    Don't let one day get you upset. Did you make a mistake by binging? Yes, you did, but haven't we all done that? Just try to make tomorrow a better day. I know that it is hard to not eat at night, but try to find something else to do like folding laundry or getting on here and chatting, and before you know it, it will be time for bed and you didn't eat that piece of cake or whatever else that makes you feel guilty. Just don't be so hard on yourself, because then you will just totally give up and that is the worst thing that you can do. You can lose the weight!!!
  • cvaneaton
    cvaneaton Posts: 154
    Options
    You are human...we all are. It is okay cause each day you are getting stonger and more fit.:flowerforyou:
  • neonpink
    neonpink Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Don't worry it happens but how you move on from this is where you can begin to make that important lifestyle change. In the future I would say log everything you eat !! Because it does slow your binging down if you log as you eat. Also if you log it, you can over the following days usually work harder and rectify some on the damage, it will also make you think was it worth it to binge as now you have to work harder over the week! (either this or forget it and move on)I like to think of food I shouldn't be eating in terms of how long I'd have to spend on the treadmill...that usually does the trick :)