I used to be so ambitious

Options
I was once very vain in my life, I ran 5 times a week 6 miles a day. I had to look my best at all times, went to sleep with lip gloss, I was obsessed. However now that I've had a child, all my efforts, and Ambitions go towords raising my child to be a good person, and instilling righteous values in her. So the efforts desire to put into something as surface as my appearance have been redirected in another area. Therefore I lack ambition to go to the gym once I put her to bed at 9:30 at night or to stay committed to a diet, and give in after driving up to my nearest Chick-fil-A of Carribean restaurant ****sighs****
As hard as this is to admit especially knowing that I was once so structured I thought I'd post about it and see how anyone has overcome this or maybe currently struggling with this. Any advice or uplifting words are welcomed

Replies

• PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,848 Member
    Options
    You redirected your priorities to your daughter which is the right thing to do, but now let her be your motivation to keep yourself healthy. You don't have to go back to running 6 miles a day 5 days a week if the time isn't there to do so anymore. Just start out making small changes and go from there.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Every phase of raising a child is brief. Yes, enjoy each of them, but remember that your health and wellness is important to her, too.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Priorities change. It's very normal and it isn't a bad thing. Funnel that change in priorities into being healthy for your child and modeling healthy behavior once she's old enough to recognize it. Good news is that raising her will be a long road, so you will have your motivation and ambition right there for hopefully many years to come. You'll need to focus on sustainable healthy practices both mentally and physically, which take more mental effort than keeping up appearances which can be achieved through unhealthy means or ignore the mental side.

Since goals are different, approaches can be different. You don't need to run 5 times a week. Your diet needs to be nutritious but satisfying, both mentally and physically. You can't crash diet, especially if you are breastfeeding. Resistance training can happen at home if you lack the will to go to the gym. You want to be strong for your girl to have an easier time with grocery shopping and house chores which would leave you with enough energy to play with your daughter and do all kinds of activities.

In time, you may start caring about the way you look again, and there is nothing wrong with that, and you'll be happy that you've managed to keep your weight in check so you won't have to start from scratch.
  • 20GmsOrLss90
    20GmsOrLss90 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you to you all that have responded thus far. I really appreciate that you're taking the time to write your thoughts, and encouragement it's not thrown together or nonchalant.
    -Much appreciated
  • 72mossy
    72mossy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I used to run and exercise and eat well up until my 2nd child a year ago but like you my focus changed. It’s an all or nothing for me, even when I had my first I managed to stay slim and fit, second child is a total game changer
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    You still should continue to put your efforts into your child, by setting a good example of what healthy habits should
    be 😊. Be the best you that you can be, for her and for you.
  • itsgood
    itsgood Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It may sound simple and naive, but my advice is, be the mother you want her to have. A healthy role model, a partner in play as she grows and develops, an advisor and confidante, a safe harbor. Present in the moments of her life, a person she not only gets to be around, but someone she wants to be around. It seems to me your instincts are right on track. Lucky her, and lucky you!