I want to start yoga

Options
Do you have any suggestions, tips, YouTube channels, websites, or books I could use?

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    I live in a rural area and there are no yoga classes anywhere near me and my internet can be slow so I don't like streaming yoga. I have several Element Yoga DVDs that I use. I got them all either at Walmart or off Amazon. I like all of the ones I have but I think Tamal Dodge is my favorite. One thing I like about DVDs is that I can watch them first to see what they are doing.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yoga with Adriene definitely!

No need to buy anything, tonnes of free videos on YouTube. She has stuff for all levels of experience.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Yoga with Adriene! I have followed for over a year on a daily basis. I had no prior yoga experience.
    https://youtu.be/pWobp3phsEU
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    While yoga videos and the like are great, if you’re a beginner I would strongly recommend going to classes for a while - see if you can find an introduction to yoga course - as it is very helpful to have a professional to adjust your technique until you are confident you’re doing the poses correctly. I’ve been doing yoga consistently for three years now and am still perfecting/tweaking even the basics.
  • TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Another vote Yoga for Adrienne but I also concur with what @ContraryMaryMary said as it is really important to get your form correct which is pretty hard when you are on your own.

My tips would be to just keep trying. Even if are discouraged about lack of strength and flexibility, persistence really does give results. Plus yoga can make you feel calmer and zen. Good luck with it all.
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    kcs76 wrote: »
    I adore Yoga with Adriene. You can start with some of her beginners videos and then progress on to more complex stuff. She's super chill and her dog often makes an appearance. I'm totally in love with him ❤️❤️

https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene

I tried this!! She is amazing and it seems so easy. Almost too easy(I am a beginner and very clumsy). I found out the next morning how much work I actually did :blush:
  • courtneyaleen
    courtneyaleen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I practice with Allie-The Journey Junkie on YouTube. Recently, I found BUTI Yoga. It’s really intense though. I agree that it’s best to be coached by someone for your form, irl. If you have to rely on videos, I would suggest making sure you pick a teacher who mentions making mindful adjustments during each session. It also helps to watch a new video before attempting it and then stick with it until you can do it with your eyes closed. Best of wishes on your new journey!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    While yoga videos and the like are great, if you’re a beginner I would strongly recommend going to classes for a while - see if you can find an introduction to yoga course - as it is very helpful to have a professional to adjust your technique until you are confident you’re doing the poses correctly. I’ve been doing yoga consistently for three years now and am still perfecting/tweaking even the basics.

+1 for finding a class or studio at least at first.
  • Strongfitmama100412
    Strongfitmama100412 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yoga is so great. I do it on my rest day (Sundays) I work hard all week its nice to stretch everything out.

• Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I use the book, 'Total Yoga' by Tara Fraser. It's been great.
  • Ayehmwhy
    Ayehmwhy Posts: 75 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Everyone else has already said it- but Yoga with Adriene on YouTube. I'm in love with her. :)
  • layanqui
    layanqui Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been doing yoga for 10 months now, all online with YouTube videos. I started out with Yoga with Adriene, as her videos are very accessible to beginners. After a while, though, I wanted more challenging videos, and I began to do classes with Lesley of Fightmaster Yoga. Both Adriene and Lesley are great. Good luck!
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    As others have said it is strongly suggested that you take a few Yoga 101 type beginner classes. A sneaky way to get a semi-beginner class on the cheap is to find a studio that does a "Give" type charity class. A lot of places do these for around a $5 donation on Sundays. It will be packed so get their early to find a good spot to see the teacher but they keep it fairly basic since many newbies show up. Just be sure the instructor is established with the YYT 200+ hours and have been teaching for at least a year so they know what they are doing.

Get a good quality mat/yoga towel if needed. It will go a long way!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I do Sarah Beth yoga and yoga with Tim, both also on YouTube. I tried adrienne but found her a bit too spiritual for me. She is very good though, just wanted to give you a couple of other options
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I actually like the wii yoga.
  • spraytanninghelens
    spraytanninghelens Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Like others I would recommend yoga with Adrienne as a beginner. Sarah Beth & Brett Larkin are also really good. Enjoy your yoga you won’t regret it 🤗
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I just recently started yoga w/ adriene and I like it a lot. I have done only a couple videos. I tried a beginner one, and I've done a couple super short ones for "post workout" and "post run." She is kinda "spiritual" and, my husband would call it "foo foo" but I like it. I really like yoga so far, it feels so good, and it's nice to meditate a little. Part of me wants to make a habit of waking up early and doing yoga every morning so I can do it every day.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    try to find a class first. learn alignment and breathing. i see it all the time. people come in and say they do yoga and think they know the poses. and they are an overextension or pulled muscle waiting to happen
    this can help avoid injury.
    look for hatha, beginners, community, or karma. call the studio and ask what would fit your needs.

that being said pinterest and youtube have great videos
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I'm a beginner and learned a lot already through classes. See if a yoga studio around you has a "basics" class or beginner's workshop where they break down poses. I benefited from taking a 2 hour Yoga 101 workshop and having a class where I was the only person who showed up on a Friday night and it was basically a private lesson.