Help please (poop query πŸ˜‚)

Options
During the last 3 or 4 years when my diet was awful I would number 2 almost daily and often it would be loose. In the last 6 weeks since I've started my journey again, although last time, I'm going every 2 or 3 days and it's solid. I'm borderline constipated too today. I'm drinking around 2 litres of water per day and eating 6/7 fruit and veg too?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    How is your fat intake? And your fiber intake? Whole grains?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Your diary is empty.

In addition to fat and fibre, how many calories are you getting? Are you tracking?
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I log on a piece of paper calories only I become too obsessed with macros if I log on here. I'm eating 1850 per day however, whenever, healthy salad, McDonald's or juice I don't exceed my allowance. Introduced 3/5 mile walks daily too. I do religiously eat porridge every morning though.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    For constipation, make sure you're getting enough fat, in addition to water and fiber. A mix of soluble and insoluble fiber may help. Some people are helped by adding probiotic foods, such as live-culture kefir and yogurt, kombucha, raw unpasteurized sauerkraut or kim chi, miso, etc. Some people have a magnesium deficiency that contributes. Exercise, especially forms that move the midsection, can sometimes help. Hope you find a route to improvement: I know how uncomfortable this can be.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Adding to the already great advice - a decrease in volume and/or frequency when you decrease calories isn't necessarily a problem on its own. Less in = less out.
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    I had noted that by increasing my protein in my diet I got constipated When I do get constipated in addition to a lot of good advice above, 2-3 prunes help.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    My Dr pointed out to me that just because you eat lots of fruits and veggies doesn't mean your body is getting enough soluble fiber, and nutrition labels mostly list a total count of soluble and insoluble and not break it down.

Adding benefiber seems to be working for me. I have two servings first thing in the morning ( you can have up to three daily).

Note it did take 3-4 weeks for my body to actually adjust back to normal. And it just happened this past week so hopefully I'm not celebrating preemptively.

Every now and then I might have a stressor that throws my body out of wack then usually one cup of smooth move at night will reset everything to normal.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    What's your fiber intake, since you're eating a lot of veggies and fruits, if you eat too much fiber, that can also cause constipation. Read more about it here https://draxe.com/too-much-fiber/
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I had this issue when first starting out. Fat , water, fiber and movement seems to be the key for me. Oh and coffee .. coffee seems to usually make me go lol.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, by definition constipation is absence if BM greater than 3 days. Sometimes when you change your diet you naturally limit things like dairy, the fatty cheeses, creams etc. Additionally you increase fiber, which can take a little time for your gut bacteria to catch up and begin breaking down.
    Along with all others have mentioned like good fats, fiber, whole grains, maybe add in a probiotic to assist your gut to create more good bugs to aide digestion.☺
  • ozgurvh
    ozgurvh Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    if you have a long constipation duration you should see a doctor,dont want to scare you but its good to be make sure there is no colon problems.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Do you take a Probiotic? If not, I'd highly recommend.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    When I had this problem it was fiber. I started eating that fiber one cereal (the plain one that has a ton of fiber) every morning and then making sure to also drink a lot of water, and it corrected.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I think fat deserves another mention. Fat is the WD-40 of the digestive system. Eat some fat and get things moving again.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Have a nice big cup of coffee.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone I'm good again and losing 2lb per week over the past 2 weeks.