Fell off the Keto wagon :(

Options
My name is Bridget Lee and I'm 46 years old. I have been doing Keto for about 3 weeks now and I thought I was doing pretty good, but today,,,OMG...I ate 3 pieces of fried catfish and a few (not many) French fries plus one hushpuppy. I feel horrible now. One of the reasons I stared this journey was because my hubby said I was fat and it really hurt my feelings (as it would anybody). I didn't eat anything but a sausage and a piece of cheese yesterday. I guess I just need some reassurance that I'm not a total failure for this one slip up.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Why would you be a failure? All that is required to lose fat/weight is a calorie deficit - keto isn't necessary. If you were enjoying eating that way, fine, but if imposing such restrictions on top of restricted calories is difficult, just eat in a different way (one that doesn't restrict fish and chips if you like them)

Demonising food and punishing yourself for doing something "wrong" by not eating is not healthy.... It's just food. You could be in a deficit and still enjoy those foods on occasion and still achieve your goals!

I find I'm most successful when I don't get on a "wagon" and make my own way there instead, that way I make my own decisions and don't risk falling off.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. I know that's easier said than done, but it was just one meal on one day. It won't wreck anything. Just get back into your calorie deficit and continue on your way. ;)

I've been keto for over 3 years and I still have carbie splurges on occasion (though I limit it due to health reasons). This morning I had a LCHF pancake with a bit of syrup - I was sick and wanted it - but the rest of the day was on plan (just a bit hungrier). A week ago while camping I roasted a couple of marshmallows - very tasty.

For me, the problem is if I do that too often because it stimulates my appetite and cravings, and isn't good for my IR. A once in a while thing is not too bad at all.

And I'm sorry your husband said that to you. :( Comments like that don't make it any easier. (hugs)
  • clayzmom
    clayzmom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your kind words. I did a lot better today. I guess I just felt bad because I have been on keto for 3 weeks and I have only lost 5 pounds. I have not been recording what I eat so I guess I should start doing that. Thank you again!!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    clayzmom wrote: »
    Thank you so much for your kind words. I did a lot better today. I guess I just felt bad because I have been on keto for 3 weeks and I have only lost 5 pounds. I have not been recording what I eat so I guess I should start doing that. Thank you again!!

Doing keto isn't a guarantee to losing weight - it's being in a calorie deficit that matters, not the way in which you eat. Tracking and logging everything (including fish and chips when/if you want them) is the way to go!