Tabata

Options
Hey all,
Anyone that does Tabata workouts-
What do your workouts look like? I’m trying to come up with some more ideas.
Right now I go back and forth between sprint/jog and burpee/jump rope.

Replies

• tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    On a bike, 20 seconds all out, 10 seconds coasting or just barely turning the pedals to keep the legs moving. Lather, rinse and repeat. I'll do that or a Les Mills Sprint HIIT regime which is similar.
  • stephenson2012
    stephenson2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I do a class where there are various exercises, alternating variations of jumping jacks, mountain climbers, bosu burpees, jumping jacks. We do 8 rounds of 30 seconds with 10 sec walking in between. The instructior mixes it up every week.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Stationary bike, classic tabata - 2 min warm up, 20 seconds on 10 off for 4 minutes, 2 min cool down. You can do anything as tabata as long as you can manage maximum effort within 20 seconds. Otherwise it's just HIIT, not tabata. Real tabata should make you cry for your momma during a 4 minute session. HIIT is fine exercise but is not tabata.

I used to be able to do jumping twists as tabata but then got used to it and the intensity is not high enough. The bike is nice because you can increase the speed and resistance as you get used to it to maintain the intensity.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    On a bike, 20 seconds all out, 10 seconds coasting or just barely turning the pedals to keep the legs moving. Lather, rinse and repeat. I'll do that or a Les Mills Sprint HIIT regime which is similar.

Very close to this. I find a short and punchy hill, one that takes about 20 seconds, ride up at race pace trying to put out 650 watts the whole time, then coast back down and do it again and again and ...
  • suttmia1287
    suttmia1287 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Stationary bike, classic tabata - 2 min warm up, 20 seconds on 10 off for 4 minutes, 2 min cool down. You can do anything as tabata as long as you can manage maximum effort within 20 seconds. Otherwise it's just HIIT, not tabata. Real tabata should make you cry for your momma during a 4 minute session. HIIT is fine exercise but is not tabata.

I used to be able to do jumping twists as tabata but then got used to it and the intensity is not high enough. The bike is nice because you can increase the speed and resistance as you get used to it to maintain the intensity.

I hear ya . I threw up a few times when I was just starting and I was only going 4 mins tops. I’m up to 6 mins and no more vomit 👍
  • Strongfitmama100412
    Strongfitmama100412 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I fell in love with Tabata 7 years ago after my first son was 6 months old. I then designed a class incorporating tabata with weight training. (Im a group fitness instructor) My class is one of the most popular classes at the gym I teach. It helped me get pregnancy weight after all my 3 kids.

You can do tabata anyway. I do drills. Like high knees, speed skates, rope, burpees, mountain climbers, jacks but you can also do it running/sprints, spin bike, and treadmill or even any equipment really.
    In those 20 seconds just up the intensity or speed to your ultimate max. In those 20 sec you should not be able to talk and feel like you are going to throw up. Its intense. 10 second recover.

I love playing with tabata on the treadmill. each 20 sec I incline by 1. then each sec I increase my speed. keeping incline at its highest sprinting on the 20 sec. Then lowering the incline and just putting the speed to 8 and just sprinting.

You can also do tabata with weights as well. Squats, lunges/ plie squats/dumbbell swings/shoulders/biceps/triceps/chest/back

Have fun with it!
    There are many videos with it as well.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    When I was a lifeguard the water aerobics teacher at the Y would do Tabata workouts, it was hilarious. Mostly a class of really old folks getting their grove on in the water 😄
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    One mile warmup, sprint 20 seconds, jog 10, repeat for a total of eight times, two minute jog, run fast almost sprint 60 seconds, start over again and repeat for around four miles or so cool down.
    And to me sprint means a bear if running after me all out sprint.
    I love Tabatas. Maybe tomorrow I will work in some fast power jumps for some of it.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    In a spinning express every so often the set up would be "5" tabatas back to back.
    But the spinning instructor would hace everyone pick 1 round to do their actual tabata then the other 2 rounds should be just fast sprints and 1 round of medium pace and 1 one round you could fake pedal with no judgement.

After one tabata you shouldn't be able to do another one which is the point otherwise you weren't trying hard enough in the first place. So usually everyone took their fake pedaling round after the tabata round.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    There was only two protocols, 1E1 and 1E2. Both were on stationary bicycles. Protocol 1E1, following a 10 minute warm-up, each subject did one set of 6-7 bouts of 20 seconds at approximately 170% of the subject's maximal oxygen uptake (VO2max), with 10 second rest periods, to exhaustion. The 1E2 group did 4-5 bouts of 30 seconds at 200% of VO2max, with 2 minute rest periods, to exhaustion. For each protocol, the criteria for exhaustion was that the subject was unable to maintain a pedaling speed of 85 rpm.

How is the exhaustion criteria determined? How are you monitoring VO2 Max?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    What does it mean to say 170% of VO2max? Is that 170% of the power you make at VO2max?
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    What does it mean to say 170% of VO2max? Is that 170% of the power you make at VO2max?

Yes. The study was done using mechanically braked cycle ergometer.