My wake up call was a Heart Attack at 48

Options
Now I'm working on changing my life for the better. My heart attack came 2 months after I had quit smoking. At the time I weighed 270 lbs and drank a pot of coffee every day along wit a lot of caffeinated sodas, I love craft beer and was averaging two a night. I think it is fair to say I never really ate like an adult.
Today it is six weeks since my heart attack and I'm still a nonsmoker, I've lost 18lbs and I only allow myself one caffeine drink a day ( many days I don't drink that).
In truth I'm tired of salads, chicken and fish but I'm serious about making a real change. I'm also aware that this is not a journey that ends in a few months, it will need to be a life long journey.

Replies

• manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    That must have been terrifying for you. Kudos to you for quitting the cigarettes and making so many healthy changes.

It is not easy to change the habits of a lifetime. But it is worth it for your health. You should be very proud of your progress.

• DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the heart attack, I hope your future is positive.

If you are over soda that is fantastic. If you miss the bubbly aspect they have flavored seltzer water that is decent. These have no sweeteners or calories. Schweppes and other brands have different varieties. hashttps://www.schweppesus.com/products/sparkling-water
    Keep in mind the carbonated water expands the stomach.

Do you like beans? There are many different varieties and they can be prepared different ways, soups, salads, humus, chick pea burgers, bean burritos. Pork loin is relatively low fat. Turkey, turkey burgers can be seasoned nicely.

• Silhouette199
    Silhouette199 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this to get my bp down. I need to lose about 28 lbs, which might not seem like a lot, but is it really challenging for me. At 53 years old, it's time to really take this seriously. Good luck
  • andilee0902
    andilee0902 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Im 43, 100 pounds overweight, high blood pressure meds and on antidepressants. Losing weight is the hardest thing that I cant seem to do. Im glad you survived. Friend me and we can hold eachother accountable