Too much sugar a day?

Options
Right now MFP has me at 29g of sugars a day.... I usually average about 50-80 (today is 84)... is that way too much?

The only guilty pleasure I have is my coffee mate french vanilla creamer for my coffee. I only have 3 tbsp of it a day.

Is this holding me back from losing weight? I almost never go over my 1200 calories and if I do im just eating back my exercise calories (I never eat back all of them)...

I usually hit my max for sodium.. if not a little more.. how can I cut down on those 2??

Replies

• brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • brittanylynne1209
    Options
    FYI.. I had an iced carmel machiatto from starbucks today (23g sugar).. I NEVER get starbucks.. but I'm sick and needed that.. So I should say usually I average 50g sugar a day.
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    It's my opinion that going over sugars is what is keeping me heavy. The only unhealthy constant in my diet is coca-cola - 38 g sugar in a can. My allowance is 30 g, so I'm over almost every day.

A good way to cut sodium is to cut down on pre-prepared foods. I did notice a quick drop in my weight when I started eating more home-prepared foods.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    1. Unless you're super tiny or just had weight loss surgery, you probably need more than 1200 calories a day to begin with. If yo're exercising too and still not even getting 1200 net you should rework your goals.
    2. If you're eating that much sugar a day, it means you're eating a whole lot of carbs too --- where are you getting your carbs from?
    3. I think the MFP defaults are completely upside down --- I changed mine to 45% protein, 25% carbs, 30% fat.

Yes, not eating enough can hold back your weight loss... your body might think its starving and be fighting to hang on to everthing.

If yo'ure not sure how to change your goals or figure out what your actual calories should be, I'm sure we can help. If I knew your heigh/weight and goal weight I would figure it out for you. Also if you consider yourself sedentary/lightly active etc.
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Sugars are something that you have to watch out for just as much as calories and fat. There are natural sugars, that you find in fruits, etc. and then there are the nasty sugars that you find in junk food and sodas. Natural sugars are good for you and you should try putting more of those into your system than bad sugars. And I would DEFINITELY not make Starbucks a regular thing (I know you said it's not). Starbucks is nothing BUT sugar. Try eating more fruits and maybe cutting your CoffeeMate serving down to 1 or 2 tablespoons instead of 3.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Sugars are something that you have to watch out for just as much as calories and fat. There are natural sugars, that you find in fruits, etc. and then there are the nasty sugars that you find in junk food and sodas. Natural sugars are good for you and you should try putting more of those into your system than bad sugars. And I would DEFINITELY not make Starbucks a regular thing (I know you said it's not). Starbucks is nothing BUT sugar. Try eating more fruits and maybe cutting your CoffeeMate serving down to 1 or 2 tablespoons instead of 3.

There are actually plenty of wise choices you can make at Starbucks. Skinny lattes and Americanos are both pretty good.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options

Starbucks has lots of sugar-free options and they'll even do soy milk if you ask. As for coffee creamer, there are tons of sugar-free flavors as well....
  • aclukehart
    Options
    FYI.. I had an iced carmel machiatto from starbucks today (23g sugar).. I NEVER get starbucks.. but I'm sick and needed that.. So I should say usually I average 50g sugar a day.

get the iced SKINNY caramel macchiato :) only 100 calories & NO SUGAR! :)
  • aclukehart
    Options
    get the iced SKINNY caramel macchiato :) only 100 calories & NO SUGAR! :)
  • jude666
    jude666 Posts: 231 Member
    Options

I agree with you here, I used to get a large skinny mocha most days thinking it was the "light" option... i was pretty much over my daily sugar allowance, from one coffee!!!! I've stopped those now and I make my own using light hot chocolate powder and works home brew coffeee.... scrumptious and a LOT less calories and sugar! :happy:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!