More calories burned in "fat burning" zone?

smcgrath45
smcgrath45 Posts: 23 Member
edited July 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I have a FitBit Alta HR and I guess it uses my heart rate to calc my calories burned (not 100% sure how it works). I've noticed the last two times I took spinning, my time in the "Fat Burning" zone was a lot higher than the two times prior to that, where most of the time was in cardio and peak. As a result, Fitbit gave me 714 calories for the 45 minutes in the Fat zone versus 314 in the non-fat burning zone. That is pretty significant, 400 calorie swing. Logically it does not make sense that my lower heart rate = more calories burned. I thought people burned a lot of calories with high intense workouts.

I know not to track these thing religiously but I'd like to know how to focus my workouts and how to create a calorie deficit. I start with only 1200 calories so I really need the exercise calories.

Replies

• smcgrath45
    Well, it seems my heart rate zones control the amount of calories it says I burn in class. The higher my zones, the less calories I "earn". And no, it is difficult to only eat 1,200 calories. I am not tiny. I'm 5'10 but I'm 45 and that is what it says to eat to create a deficit. I guess that is why everyone packs on pounds as they age.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    smcgrath45 wrote: »
    Well, it seems my heart rate zones control the amount of calories it says I burn in class. The higher my zones, the less calories I "earn". And no, it is difficult to only eat 1,200 calories. I am not tiny. I'm 5'10 but I'm 45 and that is what it says to eat to create a deficit. I guess that is why everyone packs on pounds as they age.

I think the estimate is incorrect. An intense spin class of the same length will burn more calories than a less intense spin class of the same length.

The calorie goal MFP gives you is a result of your personal characteristics you put in your profile (weight, age, daily-life activity level, etc.) and your chosen target weight loss rate. Many people automatically select 2 pounds a week as a weight loss goal . . . but that can be risky healthwise for someone who's less than 200 pounds or within around 50 pounds of goal weight. If 1200 is too hard, it's always an option to lose weight more slowly, and it can be a less risky option.

When I started losing (age 59, 5'5", 183 pounds), MFP gave me 1200, too, and it was too low. I lost weight too fast - faster than 2 pounds a week, even, for a brief time, even though based on my estimated TDEE 1200 should've resulted in more like a pound a week - and got weak and fatigued. It took weeks to recover, even though I adjusted as soon as I realized I was losing faster than I should've.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    edited July 2018
    It sounds like something is way off on the one activity where your Fitbit says 714 calories. Are the start and stop times correct? Does the HR chart look normal (no gaps or random time extensions as mentioned above)? Did you edit the activity after it was done? Those are things that have occasionally caused my Fitbit activities to be a little (or a lot) off.

Burning 714 calories in 45 minutes is well...extremely unlikely. I would consider this activity to be some kind of an anomaly/malfunction.

310 seems very reasonable. I think those are the activities that should be viewed as accurate (or as close as we’ll get outside of a lab or power-meter type measurements-which you might get on a spin bike).

I think it’s that the activity in the “fat burning” zone has something very wonky going on.

Sorry-just read that it’s 2 activities with the higher burn and 2 with the lower. So check both of your activities with the higher burn. There’s something funky with those.

And I’m seconding (or 3rding) everything that @AnnPT77 said. I’m just offering some possible ways those Fitbit activities got screwy. My Fitbit records calorie burn as you would expect (higher at higher intensity, lower at lower intensity). If yours continues to record abnormally high burns at lower intensity, I would reach out to fitbit support. It shouldn’t be doing that.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

I know not to track these thing religiously but I'd like to know how to focus my workouts and how to create a calorie deficit. I start with only 1200 calories so I really need the exercise calories.

1200 includes the deficit already
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Ii
  • smcgrath45
    Thanks everyone. I did a class today at the gym and Fitbit said I burned 236 extra calories in the hour. It was boxing and TRX, not overly cardio, so I guess the more cardio, the more calories you "earn". I probably should not follow the calories that Fitbit gives me, just pick a number and stick to it for calories each day. The 1,200 does include the 500 deficit, that is to lose 2 lbs a week. I honestly cannot eat that little, I guess I could.......but life would be pretty unpleasant. I'll go for 1,500, even that is difficult to be honest. But I guess that is why we are all here.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Thanks everyone. I did a class today at the gym and Fitbit said I burned 236 extra calories in the hour. It was boxing and TRX, not overly cardio, so I guess the more cardio, the more calories you "earn". I probably should not follow the calories that Fitbit gives me, just pick a number and stick to it for calories each day. The 1,200 does include the 500 deficit, that is to lose 2 lbs a week. I honestly cannot eat that little, I guess I could.......but life would be pretty unpleasant. I'll go for 1,500, even that is difficult to be honest. But I guess that is why we are all here.

How much do you have to lose?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    It is a 1000 deficit to lose 2 lbs a week. You may do better setting yourself to 1lbs a week loss.
    How much do you want to lose, and what is your weight now, and goal weight?

Cheers, h.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    ...and you are supposed to eat your exercise calories back since mfp has already created the deficit. 300 seems like a good # to start with for the spinning, a little less for the boxing/trx class. Try 1450 maybe and see how you feel?