Burning sensation in stomach

Options
2»

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    If there is a lot of acid in your stomach, the food is probably helping absorb some of it.

well the acid is probably trying to break down the food too so that may be why it feels better after you eat. but OP definitely get checked out. I had gastritis and had to take meds for it . it was AWFUL, and I had to watch what I ate and still do. spicy,greasy and things with caffeine can make it worse. for some citrus is a no go.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    My experience has been the opposite. Having less content in my stomach from not overeating has actually seemed to help my acid reflux.

Are you sure it isn't related to a change in diet, eating different things?

Same here, with a diet switch I had less GERD. Hope you feel better.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    My experience has been the opposite. Having less content in my stomach from not overeating has actually seemed to help my acid reflux.

Are you sure it isn't related to a change in diet, eating different things?

Same here, with a diet switch I had less GERD. Hope you feel better.

I wish that were the case for me. mine does seem worse the less I weight. whats stupid is the worse I eat the less issues,the healthier I eat the worse the reflux/indigestion is. but I try to eat as healthy as I can most of the time. which I go back to my gastro dr in march.
  • psychod787
    Options
    Also, prilosec is a proton pump inhibitor. It does need to be taken almost every day to be truly helpful.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Also, prilosec is a proton pump inhibitor. It does need to be taken almost every day to be truly helpful.

yes it does. if you dont take these meds regularly its not going to help much. the only thing is sometimes when taking them for a period of time you can get whats called rebound acid when you stop.
  • candacebattle2012
    candacebattle2012 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think that’s what it might be
  • candacebattle2012
    Options
    I need a refill on my omeprazole. They say it’s dangerous to take more than a year though
  • psychod787
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I need a refill on my omeprazole. They say it’s dangerous to take more than a year though

I have taken care of people on It for years. Never heard of it being too dangerous. The only serious side effect i know of is possible bone density issues, but I believe that study was in post menopausal women. If you live in America, you can get it at Wal-Mart OTC generic for cheap. Even cheaper at a Dollar General. Also, there are several others on the market. Zantac, Tagament, and a couple others.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have found Walmart's Equate brand omeprazole to be cheaper and just as effective. Definitely want to discuss long-term use with doctor, though.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited February 2018
    Options

all depends. I have had to take it for a few years now. have been off it once but had to go back on because I make too much acid and nothing I can do will make a difference in that. my gastro says some people just make too much and some dont make enough. I have had no side effects but I see my dr every 3 months. so talk to a dr first. as with any meds it depends on the person.
  • candacebattle2012
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone!!
  • Mrsindepenant1
    Mrsindepenant1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Iv always suffered with reflux and a burning stomach was one of my biggest symptoms. I haven’t really had it for about a year.
    I cut calories 8 days ago and today my stomach is on fire! It hurts quiet a lot and settles after a glass of water. I have no calories left so
    I’m just drinking glass after glass of water.
  • ZephieC
    ZephieC Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Has anybody else experienced bad acid reflux just from cutting calories and eating less? Mine was so bad I had to take Prilosec for a few weeks. It’s a terrible feeling of a stomach burn and I know it’s from not eating as much as I use to.

Yes! I was off all stomach meds for a good 6 months and when I started exercise and watching my food my heartburn came back with a vengeance. The pain was terrible. I actually even got sick one night. I started taking my proton pump inhibitor again for a couple weeks (per the doc's recommendation) and adjusted my diet. I cut back on anything remotely spicy and I switched to eating my raw veggies early in the day and cooking the ones at night. I am back to normal again now. It was not a fun couple weeks.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite thing happen. I have hypochlorhydria and erosive esophagitis, and it wasn't until I lost some weight and eliminated gluten, dairy, and went low carb that my heartburn completely went away. N=1 and all of that.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Been on daily omeprazole for over 5 years now. I'm still kicking. B)

Who is "they" that are saying it's dangerous? The only opinion that matters is that of your doctor who is familiar with your medical history, medications and symptoms.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Been on daily omeprazole for over 5 years now. I'm still kicking. B)

Who is "they" that are saying it's dangerous? The only opinion that matters is that of your doctor who is familiar with your medical history, medications and symptoms.

Ive been off and on it for several years now too and no issues so far. when you make a lot of acid you have to do something to control it