C25K??

Options
Does anyone do Couch to 5K? I am gonna start it today... Im not at all athletic but want to be able to 'run' by springtime.
Encouragement? advice? Ect??!?!

Replies

• outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I've done it. It's a good program. Since I've done, I finished in May, I've run 3 5ks so far. I'm going to sign up for another one at some point. My goal is to get in 6 this year.

A few things to think about...get GOOD running shoes. Go to a running store and get fitted properly. Don't bother with Foot Locker or places like that. Most every town has a store dedicated to runners and staffed by runners. Repeat weeks as you need too. If you can't finish a run interval, do it again until you can. Do it at your own pace.

Good luck!
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 3.... about to start week 4 :) if you need a hand let me know.... its pretty straight forward. You should have a blast :)

Good luck!!!! :)
  • ccckwalk
    ccckwalk Posts: 262
    Options
    I just finished a similar program...I really liked it. The first couple weeks are tough. If you are not in great shape just be ready for the sore ankles, maybe shins...just depends on the level of fitness. Your body has to go through a lot to start understanding what you are trying to do to it. You can totally do it. When I started I was logging about a mile and a half for the walk/run...I am easily funning 3.5 miles now and within 34 minutes! Stick with it and you will get there! I used the "get running" app for my ipod. Good luck! Friend me if you would like I will be there for you if you need anything! ~Corina
  • caseyballance
    Options
    Looks like you're already doing a great job with the weight loss. I've never done that program, but before I joined the military I had never run in my life. It was hard at first, thought my lungs would burst or my legs would give out from under me. But the body can do amazing things when you put your mind to it. Good luck! I'm sure you can do it!
  • vodkaswigger
    Options
    Hiya, You do it, you,ll be great and learn to enjoy running, i started with C25K 4 months ago and now run for miles 5 days a week, its always been my main form of exercise and ive lost 35ibs and have toned up fab.
    Its hard at first but just keep going. Good luck and you can do this xx
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I completed in March and have also done 3 races and am training for a half marathon in October. Advice above is excellent - get good shoes. Listen to your body and take it easy enough to not get injured but go hard enough to feel the supreme satisfaction of running! You'll be hooked in no time! Run on!!! :smile:
  • jessilea53
    jessilea53 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Well, I should be on Week 5, but Im going to redo Week 4 at least for one more day. Do it at your own pace. Dont compare to others. I have never been a runner, but I am now running 5 minutes. I know not much but its a start ;)

Good luck!

Add me as a friend if youd like. I have a few friends on here who are doing it too.

Jessica
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    BUMP-I'm thinking of buying the App, but I'm super cheap with my apps and am timid to spend money on it.
  • jtcleveland
    Options
    Yep I'm just about done with week 1 and I like it a lot! It doesn't start you off too hard, it eases you into it so your body can get used to the impact and it seems like it works great! I even look forward to using the treadmill at the gym now :noway:

You'll have fun!
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    BUMP-I'm thinking of buying the App, but I'm super cheap with my apps and am timid to spend money on it.

There's a few free c25k apps I'm pretty sure. Search the appstore for 5k runner.
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    If you want more information, check out the link in my signature. There are lots of advice and I have links to apps and podcasts that you can download to assist you with the program. It truly is a great program. I'm on week 8 and signed up for my first 5K in September. I also have a wonderful group on MFP that is very supportive. You can get the link to the group thread in my signature link as well.

Good luck to you!
  • rob504
    rob504 Posts: 79
    Options

There is free NHS app. NHSChoices I believe from memory. Means listening to an English bird called Laura but in every other way perfectly good.
    Like others I would emphasise the importance of a decent pair of shoes.
    Go out and enjoy.
  • brandyfh
    Options
    I tried it last year... I have shin spints and had a hard time doing the routines as they were directed. My advice: get a good sports bra and stretch well and often:) Best of luck!!
  • Packerfan23
    Packerfan23 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I just started week 5 and I am not a runner by any stretch of the imagination...but I am really enjoying it! I am very slow, but I have made it through the first 4 weeks and if I can make it through this week then I should be able to accomplish anything! :happy:
  • candb
    candb Posts: 238
    Options
    I'm on week 6 this week. It really works. This is actually my third time on it. I finished the program in 2007 and kept going and ultimately ran a full marathon that year. Last summer I did it again (after taking a long running break while pregnant and then after my oldest was born) but had to stop midway through when I broke my foot (not from running).