Craving

Options
I'm trying not to crave any bad foods and I give in to easily any advice that could stop me from doing so??

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why would you eat mouldy food?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Schedule your meals. No eating between. Pre-plan with the emphasis on protein and nutrition.

Takes time to sort out.

At some point we all had to learn to just say, "No," to our desires and learn how to eat good, whole foods with sufficient nutrition.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Preplan and prelog your day. If you have room for something "bad" when a craving hits, see if you can work it in.
  • Mazda_Mx5
    Mazda_Mx5 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Don't have it around the house .
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I'm trying not to crave any bad foods and I give in to easily any advice that could stop me from doing so??

Don't bring the "bad foods" in the house. Then, if you want some, you will have to make a special trip to get it. And if you do that, buy & eat just one serving, enjoy it, and then get back to your normal plan of eating.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Tryng to not get cravings is a bad goal. You can't control your thoughts/emotions, not directly.
    Dividing foods into good and bad is a bad idea. It sounds like a good idea, but it only makes you crave the foods you call bad, more.
    A craving is not the same as giving in to a craving. Eating or not eating is always your free choice.
    Reduction of temptation load is a good idea. Eating a balanced and varied diet is a good idea.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Tryng to not get cravings is a bad goal. You can't control your thoughts/emotions, not directly.
    Dividing foods into good and bad is a bad idea. It sounds like a good idea, but it only makes you crave the foods you call bad, more.
    A craving is not the same as giving in to a craving. Eating or not eating is always your free choice.
    Reduction of temptation load is a good idea. Eating a balanced and varied diet is a good idea.

This ^^^, times 100. all day long.

There are not bad foods, unless they're poisonous. There can be poor overall ways of eating, but that's something you can change, and gradual change is fine. Just keep working at it.
  • William54321
    William54321 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with AnnPT77 there is no bad food just bad choices of quantity. Best way to avoid something is not to have it around
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Eliminating cravings is a short-sighted approach. I know that eliminating cravings can help people diet, but that's just the first step. We also need to learn how to manage cravings forever, or the weight just comes back.

Strategy for managing cravings is different. I allow myself so many calories each day for "fun food." Don't set your weekly weight loss goal so aggressively that you can't fit this in. Then I measure and log fun foods. I stay accountable. Putting off a treat until later in the day and single portion packs can help too.
  • QueenBee2018
    QueenBee2018 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Many battles are won or lost at the grocery store--If you don't bring it home it isn't there when the craving starts! I agree with TeaBea above.
  • nikkichenmfp
    nikkichenmfp Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't stock on "bad" foods, and I don't do grocery shopping where I see an aisle full of snacks and binge them on. I usually buy my groceries from internet (it's way cheaper) or to the traditional market. It helps a lot. Also I'm a lazy person so if no snack is within range I will choose not to eat rather than going out to the nearby convenience store :')
  • amyn73
    amyn73 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    One way I reduced cravings was to cut carbs. I know it's not for everyone, but it helps me! Good luck!
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Tempting foods are a part of life. You’re going to have to deal with them. Last week was my daughters birthday, so we had cake in the house for days after that. And then last night, I was at a friends for dinner, and there was a bowl of potato chips on the table.
    Sometimes it’s about learning to say no, because my calorie goal matters more. Sometimes it’s about working a little of the treat food into my daily calories, so I don’t feel deprived, and have the satisfaction of being able to have a little of that food. Sometimes, it’s about removing it from the house, or removing myself from within reach (stand up and move away from the chips on the table!!!)

I’ve learnt that I have a choice about what I eat, and I’ve learnt how to manage temptations and build discipline. It’s all part of the journey. It’s not always easy, but it order to meet our goals, it’s necessary.

Good luck!
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    As others have said, keep the bad stuff out of your home where it could be readily available. I personally tested different healthy stuff out until I found what works for me. I would also say once you feel like you won't fall back into your bad habits, it doesn't hurt to every now and then 'treat yo self'. Just don't overdo it - speaking from personal experience, denying myself of any form of food I truly enjoy set me up for failure.

Good luck! I have faith you can do this, and if you need a friend you are more than welcome to add me. :)