Dairy free smoothie recipe?

Options
darreneatschicken
darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
edited July 2018 in Food and Nutrition
Can someone give me the correct measurements to make a dairy free smoothie?

These are the ingredients that I plan to use:

- frozen strawberries
- frozen bananas
- almond milk or juice

I usually use yogurt to give my smoothies a creamy consistency, but I'm trying to limit my dairy when I can.

How can I make a creamy smoothie with the ingredients above? What measurements should I use?

Like 1 cup frozen strawberries, 1 small banana, and 1 cup of almond milk?

Also, how many grams is in 1 cup of frozen strawberries? I don't have a measuring cup at home... only a food scale.

Replies

• kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Banana will give it a creamy consistency. Maybe even add another banana and use water instead of almond milk. It will taste plenty sweet.
  • darreneatschicken
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Just tried the above recipe, and it tasted amazing!

This is what I blended:

- 1 cup of frozen berries (the 'nutrition' section of the bag will show you how many grams are in a cup... for example, 1 cup of frozen strawberries is 120 grams)

- 1 small frozen banana

- 1 cup of almond milk (250ml)

Tastes better than a yogurt smoothie and digests much easier!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Sounds yum!

To even out the macros, I'd throw in some protein powder, which can be vegan if you can't digest whey, and fat, like dried coconut and chia seeds.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Sounds yum!

To even out the macros, I'd throw in some protein powder, which can be vegan if you can't digest whey, and fat, like dried coconut and chia seeds.

My suggestion too.... But I'd recommend avo for fat (and creaminess) or coconut milk/cream.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My suggestion too.... But I'd recommend avo for fat (and creaminess) or coconut milk/cream.

I'm allergic to dairy and use egg-based protein powder (Optimum Egg - Rich Chocolate).
  • lpappas84
    lpappas84 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been throwing cashews into my smoothies for extra creaminess and fat too, super good! My recent concoction has been 1 cup of oat milk, 1 cup fresh strawberries, 1/2 frozen banana, some lemon zest, and 1 oz raw unsalted cashews. Yummy and keeps me going until lunch, too.
  • strongerbytheday
    strongerbytheday Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I like to use pasteurized liquid egg whites, to up the protein in smoothies.
  • darreneatschicken
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I finally got the exact measurements down:

140 grams of frozen fruit

250 - 275 ml of almond milk

I'm allergic to nuts, so I can't add them in.

Vegan protein powder is too expensive, and not worth it when you can just eat more meat instead.

Hemp hearts are a good way to add protein to your smoothie, if you don't mind the nutty flavor that it gives. I personally just like to taste the fruit.
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    My shakes, makes 2 servings, around 350cal per serving. All fresh fruit and veges.

Kale 130g
    Banana 130g
    Strawberry 200g
    Chia Seed: 1Tbsp
    PBFit: 3 Tbsp
    Non-Fat Greek Yogurt: 1/2cup
    Steel Cut Oats: 1/2cup
    Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk: 2cup
    Avacado: 20g

It’s creamy, if you take the stalks off the kale it’s even creamier. Has good fats and protein to help satiation.

Note: Buy fruit fresh, it’s usually cheaper fresh than frozen. Buy in bulk like at Costco and freeze your own.