Ehlors-Danlos Syndrome hyper mobility type

Options
I am looking for ways to strengthen my body without sublaxating and dislocating it. My shoulders are one of my biggest problems. They frequently dislocate, even in my sleep. My other main problem areas are my ribs, hips, knees, n ankles. I have lost 20 lbs with the help of my Dr. and medication, but I want to keep it off while being off the medication. I also want to strengthen my body In hopes of feeling better. If anyone has so. Ehlors good tips I'd love to hear them. As of now my main forms of exercising are stretching, swimming when possible, n riding my recumbant bike (aka, the suck bike)

Replies

• scottrs1230
    Options
    Swimming is the best type of exercise you can get, if you can get to a pool more often I would say stick with that. Even aerobic pool classes would work
  • craziwrld
    craziwrld Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I also have shoulder problems and was told swimming with a small boogie board so I don't use my shoulders and biking are good
  • mahlelynn
    mahlelynn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I have eds too! The workout plan I have is swimming or beginner yoga workouts! If you are hurting really bad take a floatie or pool noodle.. i bring everytime incase its too much for me :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    there are many types of yoga and many types of asanas and you shouldn't be subluxating(sp) in yoga
    a teacher would be able to assist with techniques to help avoid such situations and a class or style that fits the students needs. one of my friends has Ehlors and teaches yoga. done right it strengthens and helps with alignment of the joints. she has found great relief

swimming or other water aerobics might be good. the boogie board is a good idea.

chair workouts might be good too

the syndrome website has an excellent reference page