Wierd reaction to exercise?

Options
Whenever I exercise, whether a hard day of weight training or just a walk, within an hour or so I get really shaky, ravenous, light headed, and almost sick, unless I eat something within that hour.

I did a light 2 mile walk today, then shot some hoops with my 12 year old brother until 3:30. 45 minutes later I was shaking hard enough my entire vision was vibrating, and I felt almost dizzy. I'd started drinking cold water asap after I got home.

As I sit here typing this, eating a veggie burger and mixed veggies, I already feel 200% better. has anyone else had this happen? I think it may be because I don't have a consistent exercise routine yet, but I'm not sure.

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    me too
  • nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    Options
    your body runs off the calories you burn. you need them. Try to eat before you work out. And never NOT eat something after. Drink plenty of water as well.
  • Tracy184
    Tracy184 Posts: 74
    Options
    That sounds like it could be low blood sugar. Maybe you aren't eating enough to fuel your exercise.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    my guess is that you're not eating enough. your body has a way of freaking out when you ask it to do things without giving it enough fuel.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your blood sugar is dropping.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    You get shakey when your blood sugar drops like that, and that will happen if you don't have enough calories in your body.

Eat a small something before, and eat a small something after. followed by a descent meal a few hours later... you have to eat to fuel your body.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    its your blood sugar...I'd try eating prior to working out and lots of water! Sorry if this is a repeat!
  • Saisha23
    Saisha23 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Do you have any diabetics in your family or have you ever been tested for your A1C? Not to freak you out. Just wondering. Like others have said, it sounds like low blood sugars. It would be something I would just consider running by your MD.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    it's not really a weird reaction... it's a normal reaction if you do not have enough food in your system. sounds like symtoms of low blood sugar. have a protein rich snack ready for right after you workout/exercise. the idea is to keep your body fueled. once you start having a healthy snack(s) before/after you exercise, you should feel a lot better.
  • hayleylou85
    hayleylou85 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try having something light before exercise like a banana or a smoothies. Then after eat something with protein and energy like whole grain pasta and chicken or beans on whole meal toast. And drink plenty during exercise! Xx
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to eat some protein within an hour after a hard workout to help repair your muscles.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I don't like eating before exercising, it makes me feel sick unless I ate several hours before, which still causes my problem....
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    eat
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    yeah sounds like blood sugar to me too...

when i do personal training, i get a bit like that, but that is really full on high intensity exercise.

Sounds to me like you haven't got enough energy to fuel your exercise, are you eating enough? try eating a cold boiled egg before you exercise, it always gives me plenty of energy.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I don't like eating before exercising, it makes me feel sick unless I ate several hours before, which still causes my problem....

So you're sick either way?

I'd go for the sick, but sufficiently fueled route.
  • bauerluv3
    Options
    That sounds like it could be low blood sugar. Maybe you aren't eating enough to fuel your exercise.

This used to happen to my as a kid and I'd actually pass out sometimes, but the symptoms of shaking and such were pretty common place for me after a lot of activity. It was low blood sugar and I actually found out I was hypoglycemic. Not that you probably are, but it very well could be just low blood sugar affecting you.
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    Did you remember to fuel your body for that exercise...the tank has to be filled in order for your body to work properly...also have you thought about hyperglycemia (sp)...first thing that comes to mind is your not eating properly before exercise darlin', just my thoughts on your situation....blessings sweetie !!!
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options

So you're sick either way?

I'd go for the sick, but sufficiently fueled route.

Agree with this^
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    thanks folks, I thought that was a wierd hereditary thing, since my dad gets the same way =3

lmao I have such a love/hate thing with food, If i eat too soon i feel bad, eat too late I feel worse! but I will try and find a good time that minimizes the ick!
  • nafroese
    nafroese Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me before! it is not a fun reaction but sometimes it can be realted to low blood sugar levels. If you know that you react this way make sure that you eat either before or right after you work out. Something that is high in protein like almonds will help battle the shakes!