cardio or weights?

Options
hnic76
hnic76 Posts: 22 Member
which should you do first? i’ve read some stuff that says you should do cardio first, but i’ve also heard you should do weights first... does it matter?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Do you mean first in a row on the same day or in general which type of exercise should you first add to your overall program?
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Do you mean first in sequence as in 'run for 30 minutes then lift weights' or beginning as in 'I'm just starting my exercise routine and want to start with either cardio or weights'?
  • donharkrn
    donharkrn Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I only do weights. Guess it just depends on your goals.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I find it's better to do them on alternate days, esp as a beginner.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    My cardio is primarily walking. I do both. And since I split my strength training alternating between lower- and upper-body days, and since it's summer and days are long, I find I'm likelier to walk after strength training on lower-body days. On upper-body, it's whatever fits my mood. And when the days grow shorter, I imagine the walking will come first, because I can strength-train in my basement after it gets dark, but I prefer to walk by day. (Not just for safety reasons. I'm in Toronto. Overnight temperatures can be quite a bit colder than daytime.)
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    For me I feel better when I do strength training before I swim but I prefer doing weight training after I use the rowing machine. In short, it's all individual. In terms of a gain in strength and fitness I doubt it matters unless you are training at a very high level. That said, I don't lift heavy. I don't do either directly before or after I bike or run as I don't do either of those activities at the gym.

That said I agree with @DancingMoosie - a beginner should probably alternate. The primary reason I don't is that there simply aren't enough days in the week.
  • hnic76
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Do you mean first in a row on the same day or in general which type of exercise should you first add to your overall program?
    in a row on the same day
  • hnic76
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    Do you mean first in sequence as in 'run for 30 minutes then lift weights' or beginning as in 'I'm just starting my exercise routine and want to start with either cardio or weights'?
    a typical workout for me is 30 min walking/running then weights... and so i’m curious if i should be doing it the other way around or if it even matters the order

• midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I do them on alternate days. I do a weight circuit at my gym that involves 10 machines with about a minute of light cardio between each machine to keep the heart rate elevated. I'm sweating by the end of it. I do that every other day and then on the alternate days I do cardio (usually jogging/walking on the treadmill.)
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I always do weights first...I want the bulk of my energy for that...Cardio to burn the rest of my energy out.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals.

My goals are weight-lifting related. Therefore, weights first so I am not tired from the cardio.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    hnic76 wrote: »
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    a typical workout for me is 30 min walking/running then weights... and so i’m curious if i should be doing it the other way around or if it even matters the order

It depends on the intensity...for what you're doing, it probably doesn't really matter.

I personally do them on different days except for Saturday when I usually bike commute to the gym...but that's not an overly strenuous ride. When I lift, I want to maximize that workout and not be tired from a strenuous cardio session. On a training ride, I want to be fresh, and not worn out from lifting...like I don't think I'd be able to perform well on a 30 mile endurance ride after an hour of lifting.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I do cardio every day and 4 days of weights. I do the cardio first, I just prefer it. I can't imagine it makes a huge difference for those of us with casual goals.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I read once that any exercise after 30 minutes burns straight fat for energy. Not sure if that is true. For that reason, I try to do 30-40 minutes on my elliptical, then go straight into whatever muscle group I am working that day.

It takes way longer than that to deplete glycogen stores.

The intensity of the exercise is going to have more to do with whether or not you're using fat or glycogen for energy for any one particular activity. For example, walking will utilize more fat for energy (but burn fewer overall calories) than going for a run which will largely utilize glycogen for fuel. You burn more fat sleeping than anything else you do, but I wouldn't recommend multiple daily naps as a weight loss tool.

This however is all moot. You constantly cycle between fuel sources and between fat storage and oxidation...at the end of the day, your calorie deficit is what will determine net fat loss.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Ex. If you are training for a sport or marathon, I would definitely prioritize that. If you are trying to build muscle, train for powerlifting or have specific physique goals, then you might want to focus on your lifting first. Some people do a short cardio warmup before but nothing too strenuous. If you are just having fun.. do whatever you prefer.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There isn't an absolute correct answer for this question as it depends on how intense the cardio is, how heavy the weights are & ultimately, your goals.

In general terms, if you're lifting heavy, the recommendation is to lift first in order to maintain good form (your form is more likely to break down when fatigued) maximizing the benefits and reducing the likelihood of injuring yourself.

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I used to warm up on a bike but felt like it was wasted time so I started running to the gym because it's only one mile.
  • RockinOilyMomma
    RockinOilyMomma Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Makes sense, like I say, it sounded too good to be true anyway. Oh well. I will stick with my 30-40 min exercise sessions. I have no desire to do a marathon.