Burn More Calories

Options
nelja
nelja Posts: 282 Member
Good morning

if i do my house chores will it help to burn a bit more calories, if i add wrist weights to my legs?Because is walking a lot during that times.Because i do not have much time to exercise.

Thank you

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    the difference in calorie burn that a couple of pounds will make is not worth it.
  • nelja
    Options
    Any other ideas to burn some more calories while doing chores?
  • Zoejohnse91
    Zoejohnse91 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges are pretty easy to incorporate into cleaning. Alternate Lunges with the hoover and squat x 10 to the wipe a shelf that sort of thing. 10 star jumps inbetween something else? :)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    nelja wrote: »

Just being on your feet more in general can help increase your NEAT, it won't necessarily help a lot with weight loss but there are more benefits from activity than weight loss (better cardio health, endurance, etc).

Over the winter I tend to be more sedentary so as part of my non-scale challenges I set myself a limit of an hour of tv per night unless I was doing something other than sitting, so I would do things like ironing whilst watching a couple of episodes of a series or a movie, or doing a quick workout.

You don't need hours upon hours to exercise, there are a lot of good strength training/cardio videos about on Youtube (HASFIT, Fitness Blender, Nerdfitness) that you can do at home some only take 15 minutes, and any exercise is better than no exercise.
  • nelja
    Options
    Thank you,i am doing cycling,just wanted to do a little more.But i will try some of the suggestions above. When at home,i rarely sit down,almost just with dinner.The rest of the time i am cleaning,or preparing food.Then bath and to bed.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Based on my estimates and approximations (and that's all any of this is - estimating and approximating), there isn't a significant difference in TDEE when I simply "move a bit more". But what's significant to me may or may not be what's significant to you.

If you really want to go this route, I'd suggest a weighted vest of some sort, or maybe a heavy/full backpack. Keeping the weight up higher (rather than around your ankles) will have greater benefit than will light ankle weights.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    You may find this thread (below) helpful in increasing your NEAT.

if you don't have time for long exercise programmes, on top of your cycling, there are a lot of 10 min workouts on YouTube that you may be able to fit into your day. Bedtime yoga may interest you :) .
    I used to do a short wake up and bedtime one everyday and enjoyed them, not great cal burners though.

Cheers, h.
    Oops, forgot to post the link.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

Sorry, h.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    nelja wrote: »

Do your chores quicker (or do less of them?) then you will have more time for cycling. :smiley:
  • nelja
    edited July 2018
    Options
    That would be very nice. Wish i could. Also do the support for the 2 guys in my family who is cycling competitive.
    sijomial wrote: »

Do your chores quicker (or do less of them?) then you will have more time for cycling. :smiley:

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,515 Member
    Options
    Whatever you decide to do, DO NOT put weights on your ankles to increase weighted resistance for walking or cardio. Only use ankle weights for stationary exercises like leg lifts, butt kicks.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png