Training vs exercise

Options
Those of you pursuing endurance sports may appreciate this podcast, where they talk about exercise Vs training. I've been doing this stuff for decades and still have a lot to learn. (I have no relationship with either of these speakers, Rich Roll and Chris Hauth) https://play.google.com/music/m/Dr3yzlkuuvbcpt75kq7jp26o5pi?t=Training_Versus_Exercise_Chris_Hauth_On_The_Athlete_Mindset_-_The_Rich_Roll_Podcast

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I added it to my playlist.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Those of you pursuing endurance sports may appreciate this podcast, where they talk about exercise Vs training. I've been doing this stuff for decades and still have a lot to learn. (I have no relationship with either of these speakers, Rich Roll and Chris Hauth) https://play.google.com/music/m/Dr3yzlkuuvbcpt75kq7jp26o5pi?t=Training_Versus_Exercise_Chris_Hauth_On_The_Athlete_Mindset_-_The_Rich_Roll_Podcast

I've been listening to Rich's podcasts for the last year or so. Lots of great guests with interesting points of view.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Hey, @dewd2! I found it to be really inspirational, too. I'm slowly coming off a grinding injury, mostly cycling now because I haven't been able to run, and I am really itching to get ready for the fall XC season and then long road racing through December. (marathon in early December)

I want to be certain to survive the build up, and my historical approach of just piling up the hard miles is just not working as well in my 50s as it did in my 30s.

The funniest thing is that I know this stuff! It's just more fun to run fast than it is to run slow. One thing that has been making it easier to internalize lately, has been getting to know some super elite (professional) marathoners and seeing just how easy they are running on their easy days.
  • ramakrishnanpravin73
    ramakrishnanpravin73 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this. I am regularly listening it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

The funniest thing is that I know this stuff! It's just more fun to run fast than it is to run slow. One thing that has been making it easier to internalize lately, has been getting to know some super elite (professional) marathoners and seeing just how easy they are running on their easy days.

i have a similar HM pace to a friend of mine, we have run together a few times, including one race. her training pace is much slower than mine but her race pace is the same. i need to keep remembering that!!
  • charlenechaz
    charlenechaz Posts: 49 Member
    Options

For some reason I can't access this link. I think i'll look this up. Sounds interesting.
    Thanks
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Options
    Here's a link to the website version. I initially shared it from Googlemusic, which might not work for 50% of people.

http://www.richroll.com/podcast/joel-kahn-349/
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Options
    Oops! Totally wrong podcast! (Great info on plant based Vs keto diet, but still.) This is the training Vs exercise one: http://www.richroll.com/podcast/chris-hauth-377/)
  • Wen2Run
    Wen2Run Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    cheers for this, downloading it now.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Rich Roll is an interesting character - i read (or rather listened) to his book a couple years ago - which talked about how he was fat, unfit, alcoholic at one stage and how he turned his life around - it was inspiring (even if i don't do the plant based diet thing)
  • deannalfisher
    Options

i have a similar HM pace to a friend of mine, we have run together a few times, including one race. her training pace is much slower than mine but her race pace is the same. i need to keep remembering that!!

i had this discussion with someone on a marathon training page last night - that their long runs are at race pace and it just blew my mind - because all mine have always been 2-3min slower - with same results
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    I listened to the podcast and it definitely made me think. My scheduled long run this weekend was a 14 mile progression starting at 3 minutes slower than race pace. After some discussion we decided that 3 minutes was too frickin' slow and we couldn't run it. Then I listened to this podcast. Did I want to train or exercise? My coach laid out the plan, and it was up to me to follow or not.

I started 3 minutes slower and worked up to race pace for the last 2 miles. @Vladimirnapkin - Thanks for posting this at the exact time I needed to hear it.

yup - why pay for a coach if you aren't going to follow their plan? :) This comes up quite frequently on triathlon forums - people griping that their coaches are mad at them or decide to stop coaching for them - and when you dig into it - you find out that they were frequently disregarding the plan to do their own thing...
  • gcconroy29
    gcconroy29 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this is not what you're supposed to get out of it, but I listened to it and I left with the fact that I am just exercising and that's fine. I have goals, mileage I'd like to hit and maybe at some point I will be actually training, but just exercising is fine for me right now.

My father was a marathon runner who literally ran every day until he couldn't. When I first got into running and completed a 5k, I asked him what my normal running pace should be, and he told me he kept his weekly pace so that he'd be able to compete (and typically win his age group) in a 10 miler on any given day. I think that skewed me because I didn't realize that some people just run, not for mileage or any particular goal, but just to be moving. Of course, I didn't realize that some people don't run at all and just sit around all day and are out of shape, because, I didn't see that growing up.

So yeah, my dad would have totally been on board with everything Rich and Chris were saying (although he thought ultras were insane), but I'm pretty good with my dinky runs 3 times a week.