Leaving the gym

Options
Ok I have to give up the gym because my husband and I are trying to cut back things that are not a necessity. So my question to everyone is what are some good at home exercises to do? I have a WII but the wii fit board is broke. Thanks everyone in advance.

Replies

• xXxKayleighxXx
    Options
    How about getting some workout dvd's or going walking/jogging?
  • xXxKayleighxXx
    Options
    double post
  • courtneykk
    courtneykk Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yea walking my great dane would be exercise since he will drag me but he would love the walking (dragging) LOL.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Walking, running, turning up the radio and dancing your fool head off for cardio. As for strength google body weight exercises and you'll get a ton of ideas. Bodyrocktv.com and bodybuilding.com are great sites as well. Good Luck!
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    push ups, work at them, the are always challenging. I started working on full (man) pushups at the start of the year, i could do one.

tricep dips

crunches and hovers

walking and or jogging

squats and lunges

bike riding (if you have one)

burpees

squat jumps

shuttle runs / sprints

all for FREE!

if you have a back yard, you can work out a little circuit, and put a little sign of what you need to do when you get to a certain spot, and you could make a decent 40 minute workout that should kick your butt with those exercises.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I love Jillians videos! 10 bucks each and you can use them unlimited. I also walk my dog everyday. They say they need 40 minutes a day so I feel obligated to do it for her health
  • Saisha23
    Saisha23 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Take stairs instead of the elevator, park farther away from the store, and make a time everyday to take a 1/2 walk brisk walk. The Jillian Michaels DVD's are inexpensive and they are good dvd's. I think I got the 30 day shred for $12 from Target. Good luck!
  • holdondreamaway
    Options
    If you have Netflix instant streaming, there's actually a whole section for fitness, I've been hearing good things about it and most people are already paying for it!
  • courtneykk
    Options
    Thanks...I forgot I do have the Biggest Loser on the Wii as well.
  • rmeenen
    rmeenen Posts: 23
    Options
    I have the EA Sports Fitness Trainer and I really like this for the Wii. It has a lot of options for workouts and even a 3 week and 9 week program you can do. It is kind of tough but I think its definitely worth it! I also have Zumba for Wii and I really like this when I dont want a super intense workout but still a good cardio workout and this also has several options as far as time and level of intensity. Hope the helps :)
  • courtneykk
    Options
    I have the EA Sports Fitness Trainer and I really like this for the Wii. It has a lot of options for workouts and even a 3 week and 9 week program you can do. It is kind of tough but I think its definitely worth it! I also have Zumba for Wii and I really like this when I dont want a super intense workout but still a good cardio workout and this also has several options as far as time and level of intensity. Hope the helps :)

Thanks that is a great idea Zumba for the wii.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I got a bunch of videos off freecycle: taebo, walk off the lbs. I bought Turbo Jam and Jillian Michaels 30DS off Amazon for pretty cheap. I go to the gym with my mom but her membership runs out next month and she won't be renewing it so Im in the same boat.
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Yea walking my great dane would be exercise since he will drag me but he would love the walking (dragging) LOL.

I walk my dog 30-45 minutes most mornings and also do 15-20 minutes of yoga. One thing for sure, once the dog catches on, its a lot harder to just skip. It only gives me about 200 calories to play with, but since I'm on 1200 a day, it certainly helps. I'm starting to walk/jog a little to, but that taking some building up to. My community has a liesure center that allows free use of the walking/running track, and is very inexpensive to join. Check your area, you might find something similar. I'm lucky that my work building has a small gym and it is somewhat affordable with what my employer pitches in. I do go there a few nights a week in addition to the dog walk.
  • moefitt
    moefitt Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Squats, walking up/down steps, sit-ups, hip raises, planks, crunches, reverse crunches, leg lifts, Jumping jacks, push-ups, dips (between banisters), scissor kicks, supermans, burpees, dive bombers, lunges w/ paint cans, bicep curls w/soup cans, walk/jog around the neighborhood. Sorry you had to give up the gym...doesn't mean you have to give up exercising. Don't lose focus.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    If you have cable that has on demand service they have exercise TV from dance, to cardio and yoga..

Also I have the EA Active Sports 2 which comes with it's personal HRM and is a great workout, as well as Zumba for wii and Biggest Loser..

You can also consider getting the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels.
  • complejo
    complejo Posts: 36
    Options
    You should check out Craig's list for some relatively cheap machines sometimes. It's hit or miss but you can sometimes get good working stationary bikes, gazelles, etc. for less than 50 bucks from people who don't use them anymore.
  • Annalisa419
    Annalisa419 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you're cutting costs and don't want to buy dvds, go to YouTube. I'm sure it would be a great resource for exercise ideas.