Junk food at work

Options
Trying hard to resist those free donuts... Wish they had berries or something else healthy instead!

Replies

• RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I can relate a bit. My office is littered with junk food. I mean we have jars of kit-kats, m&m's and oreos in one kitchen and wrapped candies, scones, chips, etc.. in another kitchen. I've learned over time with changing my habits to ignore them these days, and bring my own snacks; so I am no longer tempted or interested in grabbing whatever sugary content is in the jars.

I can't say it's all bad though, we also have bowls of fruit, yogurt and nuts, so they at least try to provide other options, but it's safer to ignore all together.

Editted to Add: Oh and yeaaaaaah, we have donuts every Friday and waffles every Wednesday. Stupid donuts. :neutral:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    knowing when we have special food days, i try to fit them in my calorie allotment.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    knowing when we have special food days, i try to fit them in my calorie allotment.

Smart. It's true, you should never fully deny yourself, just make common sense decisions when it comes to eating healthy and allow some room for the foods you love as well.
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    just say no or split a donut with a friend! half a donut is under 150 calories and totally manageable within the context of a deficit
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Free? Someone surely pays for them?
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Wish I had seen your post earlier-

I was there, right where you were earlier today- the office donuts. I logged onto a Weight Watchers message board and posted Help! Donuts!

Came the reply- Somebody sneezed on the donuts.

Came more replies. Each trying up the stakes in terms of being gross. The donuts soon lost their appeal.

But then this- I began to watch my coworkers around the food that was out. I won’t go into the details- they were pigs. I became the office germaphobe. (Yes I worked in a office. Pigs in suits.) Soon I adopted the position that if I didn’t bring it to work. I wasn’t eating it.

“Free” food at work was never an issue after that.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Keep the "healthy" stuff in your desk or in the breakroom fridge/drawer. We have a ridiculous amount of stuff floating around the office on a weekly basis that I choose not to eat. Some days I just eat a donut though and that's okay too, as long as it is within my calorie goal. Otherwise, I take a walk or do something extra to keep those extra calories at bay.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    tatjanak87 wrote: »
    Trying hard to resist those free donuts... Wish they had berries or something else healthy instead!

Did you buy the donuts?

If not ... then they aren't yours. Don't touch them.

Bring your own berries.
  • SweatsOnSunday
    SweatsOnSunday Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I am really loving fresh berries and cottage cheese far more than I've enjoyed a glazed donut. I know, it doesn't sound as appealing. But I just feel so much better -- literally, better inside -- than the donut. Hang in there. The craving passes.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I know it's hard! If someone brings in donuts, I mean, I pretty much HAVE to eat one. Donuts are the best food ever. I really should have had a stack of donuts as my wedding cake. My favorite is just plain glazed, and second is chocolate frosted. If they only have weird jelly and cream filled donuts then it's easy for me to pass up. :) Log the donut before you eat it so you can see what it does to the rest of your day. Maybe if you already packed a snack that day, just swap it out for the donut if you really want one. It'll be more calories I'm sure but it won't be as big of a hit if you're eliminating something else.