It’s hard to loose weight

Options
2»

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Age has very little to do with losing weight. Becoming more comfortable and eating more as we age is common though. I lost 18kg at over 40, with untreated hashimotos without problems.
  • booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    40 is the new 30, haven't you heard? Seriously, 40 is young and you can lose at any age. It's all about CICO, honest logging, and knowing that what's really hard is being overweight. You're so young yet that knowing this will change the entire course of your life.
  • samnal100
    samnal100 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This posts are inspiring, thank you!
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Strength/resistance train, build muscle mass. I'm in better shape at 40 than I was at 25. It's not easy, but it's doable.
  • lizzy_satellite
    lizzy_satellite Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    46 here - for me, the only hard part was getting started. CICO and consistent, accurate logging. I'm more than 60lbs down from my highest weight, all of it has been shifted post-40.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Weigh everything---simple.
  • JulieSHelms
    JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Lost 135 lbs age 49-51. It was easier at this age for me, because I didn't have little ones around distracting me from my purpose!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I'm 53, started losing weight beginning 2013 and have been on maintenance since October 2013 (give or take the odd post-vacation blip!). Food scales + eating at a deficit = weight loss, food scales + sticking to daily target = maintenance. Its all about weighing and logging, weighing and logging. If you want to eat more, eat less the next day or exercise more. The only difference age makes is to make your metabolism slower - but not enough to blame all the weigh on!
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 years old and have lost 45 pounds over the past year and a half without exercise. It's all about measuring (not estimating) your portions, logging EVERY bite of food and beverage you consume and staying in a calorie deficit at least 80% of the time consistently.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    BTW, the difference in estimated TDEE for a 150-pound sedentary 5'6" woman from age 20 to age 40 is approximately 110-120 calories per day . . . so, around two slices of light bread, half a McDonalds small fries, about 10oz. of Coke Classic/Sprite, or an ounce of an indulgent cheese. (Just one of those; not all of them. ;) ).

Making the 40 year old "lightly active" more than wipes out the difference (this is based on the Sailrabbit multi-formula TDEE estimator, which defines "lightly active" as exercise or light sports 1-3 days a week, or walking 3-4 days a week).

Harder? Sure. Much harder? Mmmm, well . . . .

P.S. I'm 62. In theory, that means giving up the other half of the daily Micky D's fries, compared to 40. Or it would, if I weighed 150, wasn't active . . . and ever ate the fries (not a fan). ;)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    The only difference age makes is that the older you get, the more conflicting priorities are at play.

Metabolism does not slow down with age (it really doesn't slow down or speed up - it just is). The only decrease is associated with decrease in lean muscle mass - associated with decreased activity.

At 44 I lost 60 lbs in the first year of MFP just by gradually implementing a moderate caloric deficit and gradually increasing my activity.
  • Chesirekate
    Chesirekate Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It is hard. But not impossible.
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Of course it's hard - if it weren't there would be no fat people in the world. It's not a matter of age, though.
  • dansengrl1
    dansengrl1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It is as hard as we tell ourselves!
    Let's motivate each other!!
  • dansengrl1
    dansengrl1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward people to encourage and help us stay focused on our goals together!!
  • ROXYBABELOVES
    ROXYBABELOVES Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    dansengrl1 wrote: »
    It is as hard as we tell ourselves!
    Let's motivate each other!!

Thank you 😊 very polite