Weightlifting callouses

Options
I’ve been lifting weights about 2 months now and I’m starting to develop callouses right under my fingers. Is there anyway to avoid this? Do weightlifting gloves actually work?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I use a pumice stone on them in the shower to keep them in check.

I haven't used weightlifting gloves, so no clue there.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    kettiecat wrote: »
    Do weightlifting gloves actually work?

They work for me.

I use fingerless climbing gloves, which have leather palms for protection, a nylon backing to reduce weight and aid in ventilation, as well as terry cloth on the thumb side to use to mop sweat. Much better than standard weight lifting gloves IMO.

I use them w/any exercise that requires the use of my hands to grip or place my hands on things things - such as weight lifting, body weight exercises and rowing. They do not weaken my grip, as critics of gloves will suggest and I have no calluses to speak of.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Gloves definitely work!

• saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I cant speak for gloves, but I was given quite the crash course on "hand care" when I started working on Olympic lifts because my hands were getting so calloused they'd tear open. Now I use a callous shaver and a pumice stone with great success. Also, my hands have never been so well moisturized before this :D especially at night when I use a product called "O'Keeffe's Working Hands". It's a little annoying at times to do the extra steps but honestly it's so quick and easy, and makes a huge difference.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

They work for me.

I use fingerless climbing gloves, which have leather palms for protection, a nylon backing to reduce weight and aid in ventilation, as well as terry cloth on the thumb side to use to mop sweat. Much better than standard weight lifting gloves IMO.

I use them w/any exercise that requires the use of my hands to grip or place my hands on things things - such as weight lifting, body weight exercises and rowing. They do not weaken my grip, as critics of gloves will suggest and I have no calluses to speak of.

I may look for these. I have some generic Target weight lifting gloves and I don't love them.
  • LW3380
    LW3380 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I use a pair of Nike fingerless gloves (nice pink and grey ones :) ) they definitely help my hands, I used to get a "burning" feeling in the pads under my fingers when lifting the bar but these really help.

Plus (totally psychological) when I put them on it's get to work time, time to get lifting heavy!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Get a callus shaver and trim them down.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

They work for me.

I may look for these. I have some generic Target weight lifting gloves and I don't love them.

The gloves are branded by Black Diamond (a leading mfg in the rock climbing industry) but may have been discontinued and are getting harder to find. I have 3 pairs (1 for lifting, 1 for rowing and 1 for my gym kit) and just bought 2 more for backup here:

https://www.als.com/Black-Diamond-Crag-Half-Finger-Climbing-Glove/bdequi-glove_crag_half-finger/Product

They're cheap but very well made. I highly recommend them.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    They work for me, I wear out my gloves rather than wear out my hands. :smiley:
    (I also have improved grip and they help prevent my Raynauds getting triggered from holding a cold bar.)

But it is worth checking that you are gripping the bar correctly.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,628 Member
    Options
    When I used to lift my seriously i used my cycling gloves. I've also seen guys using dishwashing pads with the abrasive scouring side in contact with the bar. Don't know if that gives a good grip, but it looks pretty cute.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I’ve been lifting weights about 2 months now and I’m starting to develop callouses right under my fingers. Is there anyway to avoid this? Do weightlifting gloves actually work?

Gloves. Yes they work. Make sure they are properly fitted for your hand size or they could make it even worse.

The other solution is to just let your hands calous, eventually you will end up ripping them off with weights (deadlifts have been known to remove a few of my calouses).
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    nay on gloves they interfere especially on big weight. yay on callouses they're sexy, you do need to buff em with a little pomous to keep them from ripping.
  • gcconroy29
    gcconroy29 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    nay on gloves they interfere especially on big weight. yay on callouses they're sexy, you do need to buff em with a little pomous to keep them from ripping.

Not gonna lie, they are pretty sexy. Except for a high school dance where my boyfriend had his hand on my leg while we drove there. Got out of the car and my stockings were shredded
  • Strongfitmama100412
    Strongfitmama100412 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yes absolutely!!!! I dont lift without gloves. I have a few pairs so I dont forget them. One at work so i have them when i go in gym there. One in my basement when i do home workouts.

The ones at marshalls do the trick but they are cheap for a reason. They tear. I love harbinger and valeo.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/best-workout-gloves.html
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    Grooming of callouses works, too . . . speaking as a rower, not a weight lifter. Most of us tend to get callouses, and during the first few years they can get thick enough that they do indeed rip off (or detach at the center and blister underneath, then fall off). A pumice stone, or one of those cheese grater looking things people use for thickened skin on heels, or careful use of a razor blade (risky!), are things I've known people to use to help keep the callouses at a sustainable level so they remain protective of thinner skin, but don't harden and detach. This, perhaps with some moisturizer, will also keep them smooth enough not to snag clothing.

We don't use gloves because we need the touch sensitivity, and I'm reading above that some lifters also think gloves aren't the best idea. If you don't want to use gloves, consider managing the callouses.
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I just maintenance my calluses with things to file them down. It's worked pretty well for me. But I don't like things on my hands, so I am against gloves for that reason.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I embrace the callouses. I used to rip frequently, but my hands have gotten stronger. I also chalk up before lifting.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Anybody who woo'd my response is a *kitten* who doesn't know *kitten* about lifting. Chalk!! Power Up Mushroom for CBean!