Shoulder pain issue. Question.

Options
So. A few weeks ago I was doing forward front lay raises and tweaked my shoulder. Enough that I felt it right away, put the weights away and went home. Didn’t work out for a week.
It still bugged me a bit but I went back to working out regularly with no real issue. Just took and extra rest day here and there if it was bugging me. I’ve avoided doing the front lay raise since as I always seem to hurt my shoulder when I do them. I haven’t worked my shoulders since this past Monday, took a rest day Tuesday and only worked abs and legs today. So, little to no shoulder work.
Working tonight, the pain flared up more than it had on Monday. I stretched my shoulder and went back to work, worse still. To the point I couldn’t even lift a 15 pound weight to put it back on the rack when I was cleaning up the gym. This was over 4 hours ago now I believe. I haven’t been able to use my right arm much at all because the pains been going from my shoulder, to my back, down my arm and is now hiring around the collar bone area.
My question is, how can I sleep to keep myself from rolling onto my shoulder? And what are some things I can do to ease the pain without mess until I can get to a doctor?

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I have no answers for you but just thought you might get more info from the Fitness and Exercise board. There's a ton of knowledgeable people on that board. I know we aren't supposed to double post but if no one responds here maybe try posting there.
  • aimjolie
    aimjolie Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I had rotary cuff surgery. While recovering, I slept on my back with 2 pillows under my head. That helped me. Until then forget the shoulder exercises. Get your Doctor’s opinion. He will probably send you for an X-ray and/or MRI. I tore my rotary cuff throwing a ball, so dopey things can happen. Best of luck to you!
  • aimjolie
    aimjolie Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    With a torn rotary cuff, the first step they try is physical therapy. Sometimes that is all you need. It didn’t help me. Mine was a full rotary cuff tear. I needed surgery. They put pins in the shoulder and I had to wear a sling for 3 months. It healed. Recovery also included more physical therapy. Best of luck to you!
  • William54321
    William54321 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Have problem with both shoulders and had cortizone injections ( doc said one at a time i opted for both as heading on trip, bad mistake)
    Anyway that has given me relief and lasts around a year, 3rd year in now. Just lower your weight lift and do more repition
  • TheImperfectMomma
    Options
    thanks everyone for the advice! I ended up going back after all. I ended up with 3 different diagnosis and a still-sore shoulder over a month later. I'm taking it easy and am working with a massage therapist for the time being. it seems to be helping.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Sleep on the other side with a pillow behind your back