Inspirational or a Bad Example? Eating Habits of BL's con

Options
WOW...just found this article regarding the eating habits of the BL's on the ranch during their seasons there! Interesting!! This might shed a bit more light on HOW they drop the dramatic weight they do...:noway: :ohwell:

hahaha! Ok, let me put the full thread title here as it looks like I typed in con... :noway:

"Inspirational or a Bad Example? Eating Habits of BL's contestants' <~~well that sounds a bit better than the thread title looked (ran out of subject line spaces it appears):blushing: :laugh:

Eating Habits of "The Biggest Loser": Inspirational or a Bad Example?

"The Biggest Loser" is a television show that's gained increasing popularity over the last few years. Contestants lose astounding amounts of weight in a relatively short period of time, inspiring others who watch the show to try and follow in their footsteps. The contestants are forced to dramatically overhaul their eating habits. But are the methods they use healthy? Do they help them establish habits they can maintain long term?

I have to say up front that I've watched the show, but I'm not a regular viewer. It's too frustrating for me to see what these people go through, giving the impression that exercise has to be painful, you can never eat the foods you enjoy, and you're a failure if you lose less than 10 pounds a week. But I did assume that contestants get a lot of help with their diet, learning how to make proper food choices and also learning that healthy food can taste good. I was disappointed to learn a little more about how this process actually works.

Contestants do all of their own cooking. In the four months of taping, contestants are given a calorie budget, recipes and a list of forbidden foods: no white flour, white sugar, butter, or anything that contains them. From there, they have to learn to create their own meals. The kitchen contains a wide variety of healthy but uncommon ingredients, such as quinoa and kale. The contestants are on their own to learn about and create their own meals. Is that a good thing, or do you think they'd benefit more from having a chef teach them how to prepare these kinds of foods in healthy yet appetizing ways?

Each person is required to eat a minimum number of calories per day and is supposed to keep a daily food journal to prove it. But many actually eat less. During scheduled “temptations,” contestants are bribed to eat junk food with prizes like cash and calls home, sometimes while locked in a dark room with mountains of candy. Is this for real? Are these "temptations" just cruel, or do you think they actually mimic the temptations of real life and are a valid part of the show?

If you watch the show, you know about the "last chance" workout where contestants have a final opportunity to shed pounds before the weigh-in. But many also resort to fasting, asparagus binges (asparagus, a mild diuretic, temporarily reduces weight) and all-coffee strategies to help them achieve a lower number on the scale. Is this just a normal part of competition, or a dangerous and unhealthy way to establish weight loss habits?

Many of the contestants have said they didn't expect to maintain their entire weight loss once at home and some have gained back significant amounts of weight. I guess I'm not surprised, given everything they went through to lose it.

What do you think? Is it more important that people are inspired by the contestants' dramatic results, or should the show be setting a better example of how to lose weight in a healthy way? :ohwell:

Replies

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    WOW...just found this article regarding the eating habits of the BL's on the ranch during their seasons there! Interesting!! This might shed a bit more light on HOW they drop the dramatic weight they do...:noway: :ohwell:

hahaha! Ok, let me put the full thread title here as it looks like I typed in con... :noway:

"Inspirational or a Bad Example? Eating Habits of BL's contestants' <~~well that sounds a bit better than the thread title looked (ran out of subject line spaces it appears):blushing: :laugh:

Eating Habits of "The Biggest Loser": Inspirational or a Bad Example?

"The Biggest Loser" is a television show that's gained increasing popularity over the last few years. Contestants lose astounding amounts of weight in a relatively short period of time, inspiring others who watch the show to try and follow in their footsteps. The contestants are forced to dramatically overhaul their eating habits. But are the methods they use healthy? Do they help them establish habits they can maintain long term?

I have to say up front that I've watched the show, but I'm not a regular viewer. It's too frustrating for me to see what these people go through, giving the impression that exercise has to be painful, you can never eat the foods you enjoy, and you're a failure if you lose less than 10 pounds a week. But I did assume that contestants get a lot of help with their diet, learning how to make proper food choices and also learning that healthy food can taste good. I was disappointed to learn a little more about how this process actually works.

Contestants do all of their own cooking. In the four months of taping, contestants are given a calorie budget, recipes and a list of forbidden foods: no white flour, white sugar, butter, or anything that contains them. From there, they have to learn to create their own meals. The kitchen contains a wide variety of healthy but uncommon ingredients, such as quinoa and kale. The contestants are on their own to learn about and create their own meals. Is that a good thing, or do you think they'd benefit more from having a chef teach them how to prepare these kinds of foods in healthy yet appetizing ways?

Each person is required to eat a minimum number of calories per day and is supposed to keep a daily food journal to prove it. But many actually eat less. During scheduled “temptations,” contestants are bribed to eat junk food with prizes like cash and calls home, sometimes while locked in a dark room with mountains of candy. Is this for real? Are these "temptations" just cruel, or do you think they actually mimic the temptations of real life and are a valid part of the show?

If you watch the show, you know about the "last chance" workout where contestants have a final opportunity to shed pounds before the weigh-in. But many also resort to fasting, asparagus binges (asparagus, a mild diuretic, temporarily reduces weight) and all-coffee strategies to help them achieve a lower number on the scale. Is this just a normal part of competition, or a dangerous and unhealthy way to establish weight loss habits?

Many of the contestants have said they didn't expect to maintain their entire weight loss once at home and some have gained back significant amounts of weight. I guess I'm not surprised, given everything they went through to lose it.

What do you think? Is it more important that people are inspired by the contestants' dramatic results, or should the show be setting a better example of how to lose weight in a healthy way? :ohwell:
  • abillings9
    Options
    Oh wow! That's awful!! I think they should definitely be taught how to cook and eat healthier so they can take those habits back home with them. Ugh, damn reality tv and all their BS! :grumble:
  • tennetubbie
    tennetubbie Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    as much as RUBY is a bit more whiney and she is a bit of a drama queen, I think THAT is a more realistic show about the weight loss journey---slow ---ups and downs. She is down over a hundred pounds now---in the real world.

One thing I keep saying I don't like about the biggest loser is the seeming lack of compassion for the young children of contestants---many of whom don't get to talk to or see thier VERY YOUNG children for MONTHS!!!!! THAT just infuriates me!!! WHY are the children being deprived of parental contact---1. your mommy has been very very bad and she is not allowed to talk to you until she loses weight
    OR ----2. YOU are so insignificant in our quest to have a "reality" show that we don't give a D*** about bedtime stories or if you are having a bad day----no phone call for you.

WHAT is the harm of a PHONE call or SKYPE---at least they could read their children a bedtime story on video SKYPE every night!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Oh wow! That's awful!! I think they should definitely be taught how to cook and eat healthier so they can take those habits back home with them. Ugh, damn reality tv and all their BS! :grumble:
    Oh me too ab!:ohwell: I was sad to read this article..it was an eye opener as so many on here have often shared how they believed the BL contestants were being fed healthy foods by a professional chef that knew how to cook healthy.

To be instead given uncommon (to them) foods and expected to figure out what the heck to do with them in a short time frame must be a bit stressful to say the least. I know we all try new foods on here and there are questions ask regularly about the 'how's' of fixing them, least we have one another to figure it out.:happy:

Ah reality tv...whatcha gonna do!:ohwell:

FC:heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    as much as RUBY is a bit more whiney and she is a bit of a drama queen, I think THAT is a more realistic show about the weight loss journey---slow ---ups and downs. She is down over a hundred pounds now---in the real world.

One thing I keep saying I don't like about the biggest loser is the seeming lack of compassion for the young children of contestants---many of whom don't get to talk to or see thier VERY YOUNG children for MONTHS!!!!! THAT just infuriates me!!! WHY are the children being deprived of parental contact---your mommy has been very very bad and she is not allowed to talk to you until she loses weight
    OR ----YOU are so insignificant in our quest to have a "reality" show that we don't give a D*** about bedtime stories or if you are having a bad day----no phone call for you.

WHAT is the harm of a PHONE call or SKYPE---at least they could reaad thier children a bedtime story on video SKYPE every night!
    ah some very good points you make! ahh I don't get to watch Ruby :cry: :brokenheart: :noway: I'm trying to recall now if someone once shared a person can view it from the web??? Anyone remember hearing that? If so can you direct those of us that don't have the proper channel for TV viewing?

btw...I know I've shared this before but I LOVE YOUR AV KITTY!!!!! He makes me relaxed and puts big grin on my face each time you post:flowerforyou: :tongue:

FC:heart:
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I think they should cook there own meals but only after someone taught them how to use certain ingredients and such. I think it prepares them for the real world but only after they know what they are doing. But at least they have receipes and the trainers for help.
    I would hope they are not partaking in dangerous weight loss for the weigh-ins but I'm sure some do but I don't think they all do it. I would hope the trainers would educate them on those type of things as well.
    I think when we watch this show we all have to remember it's a TV show. ANd what you see and even hear about it is altered for the viewers enjoyment. In some way it is inspirational it let's you know that you can work out no matter how big of a weight loss you have and that other people are in the same place as you and your not alone.

-Adrienne
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Mixed feelings. First off, not everyone has the luxury of having someone to show them how to cook healthy. There are many resourses out there, via internet, that have wonderful recipes that are good for you. I'm sure there are contestants that know how to cook better then others, so they can all work together. Second, cutting out the processed crap and exposing people to the different types of food out there not only is the way we should ALL be eating, but it puts accountability on the table of the contestant. All diets consists of a calorie limit. Unfortunately, those contestants that are eating less then their required intake are only hurting themselves. It's too bad to think that they have to resort to caffeine and other diuretics to make it or break it for the final weigh-in and I wonder if they would've lost more if they'd done what they were supposed to do in the first place!

I'm sure growing up eating lots of healthy foods puts me at an advantage, and I can't imagine being raised on steak, potatoes, snack cakes, etc. and then being expected to do a complete 180. But that's what a healthy lifestyle is all about and it is the choice of the contestants whether or not they take the knowledge they learned and use it after they go home.

My guess would be that the contestants know what they're getting into before hand, and it's how bad they want it that will determine their success!

My 2 cents! :smile:
  • tazzy
    tazzy Posts: 197
    Options
    It is their choice to be there I am sure if they wanted to leave they could and there are medics on hand at all time as for not seeing their kids some people are that overweight that to sacrifice 4 months is nothing if it gives them an extra 10 years or more I do beleive that in that situation seeing or hearing from family can be negative as it can make you more homesick and lets face it to workout like they have too they need to be focused. They made the choice to audition nobody forced them they knew what was involved before they entered the show. It is a shame about the food though they should be taught how to prepare healthy food at least.
  • msujdak
    msujdak Posts: 141
    Options
    I think that these folks who are losing dramatic amts of wt quickly don't have a chance of maintaining the weight loss because their caloric intake is so low and they lose it so fast. If you don't keep to that schedule your body is automatically going to gain because it is programmed to be at the weight it has been at for so long. I think those who do keep it off are the one's who do it at home slow and steady, making slow, permanent, healthy changes. Anybody who has dropped weight quickly through fad diets, etc knows the body will just bounce back to gaining because we are creatures of habit and want to revert to our bad ways of eating. Once in a while is okay, but a good habit of journaling and exercise will last a life time! I think the show is great because if offers people information about how they should be living and how they should be eating, but honestly who can maintain a 1200 cal per day, 4-6 hours of exercise daily? They may not stay a "thin" as on the show, but they are equipped with more info than when they went in!
  • mandersen16
    Options
    I would tend to agree. I think they know what they are getting into.

And you can't always believe everything you read.

The thing is, if some of these people were really starving themselves they wouldn't be able to keep up the weight loss that they have been either. No matter how big you are, your body will go into starvation mode.

And on contestant on the show wasn't eating enough and he started eating more and lost the weight quicker. If all you had to do all day long is to work out, i think we would all be losing weight quicker.

It sucks not being able to call your kids and such but I think they worry about that being a distraction. Your kid misses you so you start to get depressed. Horrible as it is (I could never do it) they do it for a reason.

And I don't know about you, but I tend to learn better when I do things myself. Learn about certain foods and find ut for myself how to prepare them. But this is all just my opinion.