Good websites for recipes and organization? Pros/cons?

Options
ameliafrench111
ameliafrench111 Posts: 3 Member
I have over 100lbs to lose and I'm getting started finding recipes that fit my diet and trying to figure out a way to organize them. I just found Yummly and I LOVE IT! I was wondering what others use to find and organize your recipes. I love Yummly because I can search by nutrition info/ingredients/diet preferences/etc. and the recipes are saved from all over the web.

Anyone have other good sites they use to do this? I need all the help I can get!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all I use is Pinterest
  • ameliafrench111
    Options
    Thank you. Is there an easier way to search on Pinterest to find recipes under a certain number of calories or carbs?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I use pinterest to find and sort recipes. I like that now you can have subcatergories.
    Recipes that I am going to use repeatedly I print out and put in a binder with divided sections.
  • cnjg6677
    cnjg6677 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Skinny kitchen.com
  • jeepyem06816
    jeepyem06816 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I’ll reaffirm the handiness that is Pinterest. Seriously.
    Another site I use religiously, mainly for meal prep, is sweetpeasandsaffron.com. Love Denise. She does a Facebook group deal-io as well that’s helpful.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I don't like having anything on-line, I use a program called Gourmet Recipe Manager.... it is free.
    http://thinkle.github.io/gourmet/
    (Windows, Mac, and Linux)

Very versatile, multiple ways to organize the dishes.

It will allow you to collect, search, organize, and browse your recipes. Gourmet can also generate shopping lists and calculate nutritional information. It imports Mealmaster, MasterCook and KRecipe files and exports PDFs, webpages and other formats. Gourmet is free software.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Is there an easier way to search on Pinterest to find recipes under a certain number of calories or carbs?

You could search for low calorie or low carb.
    You could search for 400 calorie or whatever calorie count you want specifically.
    I think searching for "under 10 g carbs" is not as effective on Pinterest as the calorie search. You'll get low carb related results but not necessarily that amount.
  • ameliafrench111
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great sites! Does anyone use Yummly? I just wonder how it compares to Pinterest.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I use Pinterest. I have used other sites too and tend to read reviews from people first before I try it. I also use cookbooks.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I use copy me that.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    umm... I just have a little index card folder in my cabinet where I write down my recipes. I have a planner and in the back notes section I have a list of my meals that I like to make so when I'm trying to come up with meals to make that week I can always reference that list if I can't think of anything. For finding recipes online, I did find a lot on facebook but I deleted my facebook app because it's just a huge time-suck. I get a lot of recipes from allrecipes.com, budget bytes, and I got a couple good ones on simply recipes.
  • anthonysmom269
    anthonysmom269 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use Pepperplate to store my recipes. When you find recipes online you can add it to your Pepperplate account directly and you are also able to create shopping lists from the app or website.
  • emhorn625
    emhorn625 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Allrecipes. Get many of my recipes here. App is great too.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What great ideas, thanks!!!!!!
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I have a gmail account setup to send recipes to.

I love that its easy to search , you can add labels and have filters handle everything for you. I have recipes labeled by multiple categories like what its main component is (like tomatoes, or chicken) , and it's type (like side, dessert, main dish, etc ), whether it fits vegetarian or vegan, or paleo or whatever and whether its specific to a certain ethnicity (like Chinese or Greek). I also have them labeled as to whether I have the recipe in MFP now.
    All my recipes are easy to find either by Gmail's search function or by label or by searching by label.

Since it's HTML I can just copy and paste the recipe, and include the pictures. Then it's available for me on my cell phone when I go shopping and want reference it.

• RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Oh and since you like Yummly , you may want to check out http://www.tastespotting.com/.