Any low carb eaters.....

Options
Ok i have diabetes and only aloud to have 145 carbs a day and im getting a little no alot tired of what i have been eatting any ideas for lunches and dinners and snacks and b4 anyone asks that is all im aloud no extra for fruit and veggis SOS help please very discouraged today Thanx in advance :flowerforyou:

Replies

• robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Wraps made with lettuce replacing bread or tortillas
    use you carbs for vegies and lower sugar fruits (i.e. berries)
    Don't waste carbs with fruit juices or sodas or other drinks
    Use cauliflower as your potato substitute. Cauliflower mash is one of my favorite foods now.
    Get a low carb cookbook or go to Atkins or paleo diet websites where you are sure to find tons of recipes with low carb content.

Good luck!
  • dmest
    dmest Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My son has diabetes and one of his favorite low carb snacks / lunch items is greek yogurt. We buy the plain flavor and then add liquid stevia drops to it. You could add a little bit of chopped nuts to it as well, for added flavor.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    extreme wellness makes wraps that have 5g carbs. net its -7 i do believe!
    The greek yogurt is good for a snack.
    Usually there's a trade off between fat and carbs, so lower fat things have higher carbs. You might look at things like 1% milk, cheese, and dairy rather than 0%, etc.
    Trader joes, and healthy life both have low carb breads, and almond flour is many less carbs than regular.
  • NurseElka
    NurseElka Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    2 years ago I did low carb and lost 40lbs. in 4 months. I loved it. I ate lots of chicken with sugar free teriyaki sauce or mix soy sauce and dijon mustard for a chicken marinade. Turkey burgers with lettuce, tomato and pickles (no bun). South Beach Diet and Atkins have good recipes on there websites. Also, a good website is lowcarbfriends.com. Hope this helps :)
  • TexasSunny
    TexasSunny Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Egg salad, tuna salad, sugar-free jello, chicken salad.... pork rinds (lol, ick, but they grow on ya when you are doing low carb!)

Search "ez low carb recipes".... there are tons!
  • cownancy
    cownancy Posts: 291
    Options
    Can you eat lean protein? I can have chicken, chops, steak, turkey......almost any meat. No corned beef though. I find 93% lean hamburger and make a nice meatloaf and it is heavenly. I have tried using cauliflower as mashed potato....I HATE HATE HATE cauliflower, but can almost eat them that way. LOL. There are so many cookbooks for diabetes out there. Thank God, I have avoided it. As I tell everyone, I love my 100% Whey protein shakes once I got used to them at first.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Remember, when counting carbs, you can subtract any fiber carbs from the total. Fiber has no glycemic impact. Be sure you're using MFP to track fiber so you can easily keep track of carbs - fiber = net carbs.

Definitely investigate the low carb wraps for sandwiches. I have some low carb, whole wheat tortillas at home that are 4 net carbs each which I use to wrap sandwich meats, lettuce and tomatoes at lunch.

Try egg or tuna salad and eat them using celery as a scoop, no bread or crackers required. I've also made a low carb meatloaf using a combination of flax meal, almond meal, grated parmeson cheese and crushed pork rinds to replace the bread crumbs.

I also suggest checking out some of the low carb websites. Atkins has a lot of great low carb recipes on their website. Be sure to check out their muffin in a minute (MIM). You'll be very glad you did!
  • talon1977
    Options
    Breakfast: Aunt Jemima Oatmeal pancakes - have 2 instead of 3 with an egg and ham & light cheese. Just like a McGriddle but hold the syrup. Or my favorite 2 scrambled eggs (no milk) with Walmart fresh garden salsa.
    The Flatouts are good and high in fiber too with tuna load with veggies like spinach, lettuce, red onion, tomato, etc.. Very filling.
    I like hummus with pretzel crisps light but filling snack.
    Peanut butter & celery good snack
    Pickles and/or cucumbers another good snack.
    Some yogurts are low in carbs with cottage cheese - snack.
    Dinner lean meat (no breading) like chicken breast. I try to stay away from carbs unless I am eating a veggie like brussel sprouts, spinach, salad. Beware of cheese and dressing. You are better off with oil and vinegar dressings low cal & carb. If you have to have a carb a small-medium baked potato hold the butter and light sour cream.
    And for desert sugar free jello and cool whip :P
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Lunch
    Pepperidge Farms, Light Style, 7 Grain Bread, 2 slice 90 18 0 4 150 0
    Empire Kosher - Fat Free Turkey Breast Slice, 2 slices 33 1 0 7 200 20
    Alpine Lace - 2% Low Fat Swiss Cheese, 0.5 slice 25 1 2 4 48 8
    Kraft - Light Olive Oil Mayo, 0.25 Tablespoon 11 1 1 0 24 1
    Total Cal. 159, Carbs.21, Fat 3, Protein15, Sodium 422, Choles. 29
    with carbs that low you could have 1 sandwich and 1/2 piece of fruit

Add any veggies for minimal calories and carbs. I love lettuce, tomato and hot peppers

Thomas's Sahara mini pita's and Mission and La Banderita have low carb Tortilla.

You just have to find lower carb substitutions for the things you like. You don't have to give up everything. Just watch the portion size. Don't get discouraged.
    Check out dlife.com it has a lot of recipes and tips for people with diabetes.
  • hbmcracer
    hbmcracer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite things right now is fried hot link discs mixed in with scrambled eggs and a little cheese on top.

Almonds Blue Diamond has lots of good flavors of almonds the habenero bbq are awesome.
  • krissy_pooo
    krissy_pooo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    bump
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I'm following the 17 Day diet Cycle 1 and it is very low carb. Things I eat for lunch, chicken salad wrapped in lettuce leaf (made with no fat and low carb mayo), Artichoke soup and it is soo yummy, if you need the recipe inbox me, Village salad whcih is a medley of tomatoes, cucumbers, feta, oregano and olive oil, your standard salad except I boil eggs for the protein, tofu parm again it is delicious, yogurt smoothies. All of these I believe are good for diabetics. They are all very low in sugar. Good luck!!!
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Two words.

Cheese. Chip.

Take a string cheese stick (Kraft 2% works the best), slice down the cheese stick into 1cm circles. Bake in an oven at ~325 for 5-7m. Delicious. Serve with salsa! Only 70 calories and 1 carb.
  • shelly650
    shelly650 Posts: 319
    Options
    I personally just choose to eat lower carbs as it seems to help my weight loss a lot! Feel free to look at my diary or mail me if you have any questions!! Heres a few menu ideas:

Breakfast:
    Porraige & Milk (approx. 35g carbs)
    OR
    Kelloggs All Bran & Milk (approx. 35g carbs and LOTS of fibre!)

Lunch:
    Omelete with sliced ham, cheese, mushrooms, peppers (under 10g carbs)
    OR
    Dry fried egg, mushrooms, chicken/turkey sausages or rashers, and a slice of wholemeal toast (approx. 20-25g carbs)
    OR
    Salad (lettuce, beetroot, cheese, ham, mayo, coeslaw, egg, chicken......) (under 20g carbs)

Dinner:
    150g Baby Potatoes with 100g carrots and peas and a chicken fillet ( about 42g carbs)
    OR
    Salad like above but you could include a slice of wholemeal bread also, adding only about 14-18 extra carbs!

This is usually the kinds of foods I eat and it works for me! Just because you are eating lower carbs doesnt mean you have to give up all the foods you love! I personally dont eat a huge amount of pasta or rice whether white or wholemeal, but I do eat my potatoes and breads! I just eat baby potatoes and wholemeal bread as they have less carbs!

On an average day, I could consume anywhere between 70-140g carbs!
    Good Luck!
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    Yum these sound yummy

Great topic!
  • azheelshock
    Options
    Definitely investigate the low carb wraps for sandwiches. I have some low carb, whole wheat tortillas at home that are 4 net carbs each which I use to wrap sandwich meats, lettuce and tomatoes at lunch.

I've been looking for some of these but my grocery store doesn't seem to have them. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Is there a name brand that you use?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I've been looking for some of these but my grocery store doesn't seem to have them. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Is there a name brand that you use?
    I haven't seen "wraps" per say, but the Fry's (Kroger) near me carries Mission brand whole wheat 4 net gram tortillas. I've been using them to wrap turkey, cheese and romaine. I've also seen some whole wheat wraps at Costco that aren't billed as "low carb" but IIRC they only have like 5 or 6 grams net.
  • azheelshock
    Options

I haven't seen "wraps" per say, but the Fry's (Kroger) near me carries Mission brand whole wheat 4 net gram tortillas. I've been using them to wrap turkey, cheese and romaine. I've also seen some whole wheat wraps at Costco that aren't billed as "low carb" but IIRC they only have like 5 or 6 grams net.

Ahhhhh...NET carbs. I haven't yet embraced that concept in my diet. I try to keep my total carb count <100 each day, usually between 50-75g. As far as those Mission tortillas, I wish they didn't have modified food starch listed before whole wheat :(