Sore muscles

Options
Hi. I've been dieting for a month and finally got the extra energy to start working out last week. I've done cardio each night, 2 mile runs and walking 2.5 miles home from work each day. I allowed myself a rest day yesterday apart from the walk back from work. I've woken up today and my legs are hurting me to even go down the stairs. Do I workout today? Is this just because I never worked out or walked for years and I need to push through it as what I'm doing isn't that strenuous or do I need to rest a little more?

Replies

• kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Soreness is normal when you start a new program. I often workout even when I am sore. If there is sharp pain (like a potential injury) I would continue to rest. If this is just muscle soreness I would at least try to battle through but I would choose something with a little less impact like walking, yoga or stretching.
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Just take a long walk - it will help ease the soreness
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Exercise isn't something you just jump into and go from 0 to 100...fitness is something that is built over time. You have to ease into things.

I'd personally start with more walking and then look into something structured like C25K.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I think jumping into running 2 Miles a day from nothing is too much. At most I would only run every other day for a while. It’s not just your cardio endurance that has to be built up, but running can be really hard on your legs, knees, feet etc. and you should give them a break so they have time to adjust and heal. I agree with others, go for a walk instead.
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the advice not to try to do to much too soon. My only other piece of advice would be invest in a foam roller- it’s the best $30 I ever spent and stoped my achy running legs over night!
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the advice not to try to do to much too soon. My only other piece of advice would be invest in a foam roller- it’s the best $30 I ever spent and stoped my achy running legs over night!

+1 on the foam roller. A great item to use on legs and hips.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Incorporate a gentle stretching routine. Take rest days.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options

+1 on the foam roller. A great item to use on legs and hips.

Another agreement on the foam roller. I mostly use for quads, back and shoulders. I've definitely noticed a reduction in recovery time.

OP: Never has the phrase "walk before you can run" been more relevant. I'm not surprised your legs were hurting. It's fairly normal to get muscle ache when you're new to exercise. Or even if you are, but do an exceptionally intense session. Your muscles will ease up as the day go on, I'd recommend doing some gentle stretches to help loosen them up in the evening, and going forward: dial it down slightly. Muscle ache isn't the end of the world, and sometimes it's nice to wake up and know you were working hard yesterday, however, until you're more experienced with it, I wouldn't recommend training on achy muscles.
  • crimsoncross
    crimsoncross Posts: 3 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I did go for a walk that day and I'm feeling much better today. I'm going to put the running on hold until my overall fitness is better. I can't explain it but when I'm running it feels like my shins are about to snap. So yeah just cardio and walks for now &I'm about to look into this foam roller thanks again ! :)