Trying to have a house warming, need food ideas because i don’t know how to cook

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would do something like pulled pork or shredded chicken sandwiches, veggie tray, variety of cold salads or side dishes, fruit, chips, dip. Buy a cake or something for dessert. You can use a slow cooker for the meat and have pretty much everything ready in advance so you are not running around cooking when 50 people show up hungry.

Alternatively sloppy joes or tacos would also be easy to make for a big crowd and largely be prepped in advance. With tacos people can assemble them as they like.
  • ButterIsGood
    ButterIsGood Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Cream puffs.

Make sure you have enough for each guest to have 2 or 3.
  • GoodLardy
    GoodLardy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Taco bar, pasta bar, chili bar. Guests can pile on whatever toppings they like.
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    AmberGlitterSparkles Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    http://www.franksredhot.com/recipes/franks-redhot-buffalo-chicken-dip-RE1242-1

This is one of my favorite things. I serve it with celery, crackers and tortilla chips.
    You can also do a lot of other crockpot stuff. Depends on if you just want appetizers or are trying to serve a full meal.

Cheese, meat and cracker trays are always a hit.

My family always goes nuts over this one:
    https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/asparagus-appetizer-roll-ups/

I was just about to suggest buffalo chicken dip it’s awesome.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Load up the fridge with 40's.

1450107808snoop_g_thang.gif
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    kam26001 wrote: »
    Load up the fridge with 40's.

1450107808snoop_g_thang.gif

Or a plastic trashcan filled with vodka, red Hawaiian punch and grain alcohol.
  • dniania
    dniania Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    http://www.franksredhot.com/recipes/franks-redhot-buffalo-chicken-dip-RE1242-1

This is one of my favorite things. I serve it with celery, crackers and tortilla chips.
    You can also do a lot of other crockpot stuff. Depends on if you just want appetizers or are trying to serve a full meal.

Cheese, meat and cracker trays are always a hit.

My family always goes nuts over this one:
    https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/asparagus-appetizer-roll-ups/

I was just about to suggest buffalo chicken dip it’s awesome.

Yeah it good!
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    GoodLardy wrote: »
    Taco bar, pasta bar, chili bar. Guests can pile on whatever toppings they like.

I was going to mention this idea as well.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    dniania wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    How many people are you expecting? What time of day?

Given that you said you can't cook, I'd go with the prepared deli trays from the grocery store and vegetable and fruit platters, although they are kind of pricey so it depends on how much food you'll need.

About 40-50 it’s going to be around 6 pm

Yikes! That's a decent turnout, so might be more than a little expensive.

Some ideas:

Buy whole fruit, and cut it yourself. Things like cantaloupe, watermelon, grapes, pineapple, apples, oranges, etc. They can get a little expensive. But, it can be almost three times as much to pay someone to do it.

Mini-dill pickles, olives, cherry tomatoes, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, various colours of bell peppers. Always buy fresh if you can and cut your own.

Various dips such as the mentioned buffalo chicken dip. You can also do spinach dip &/or ranch made from packets. usually a little less expensive than premade. Something I like, but don't do much anymore, is chili cheese dip. Buy 2-3 cans of chili, and a block of Velveeta cheese. Cut the Velveeta into small 1x1 cubes or slices so it melts evenly and mix in the chili. Then, either put in crockpot, or microwave it.

Taco bar is a good idea. Simple and basic.

BBQ meatballs or mini-hotdogs

There's a lot of simple ideas for foods out there. the problems is that it can get really expensive, and many times food choices aren't always the best if trying to be reasonably healthy.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Where is mom when you need her?
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    40 to 50 people and you don't know how to cook?

I recommend a caterer.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Throw a couple of pork shoulders in a giant crock pot or cooker about 16 hours before your event. Add some liquid...like beer! And favorite seasonings. Forget about it.

Serve with your favorite purchased buns/rolls and sides. I would do a savory deli salad, veggie tray and some fruit. Buy a few of the giant brownie trays or cheese cakes from a bulk store for dessert.

You can add as you wish...more sides, dessert toppings (cheesecake bar!), sandwich condiments, dips, etc..

What time should I be there?
  • dniania
    Options
    dniania wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    How many people are you expecting? What time of day?

Given that you said you can't cook, I'd go with the prepared deli trays from the grocery store and vegetable and fruit platters, although they are kind of pricey so it depends on how much food you'll need.

About 40-50 it’s going to be around 6 pm

Yikes! That's a decent turnout, so might be more than a little expensive.

Some ideas:

Buy whole fruit, and cut it yourself. Things like cantaloupe, watermelon, grapes, pineapple, apples, oranges, etc. They can get a little expensive. But, it can be almost three times as much to pay someone to do it.

Mini-dill pickles, olives, cherry tomatoes, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, various colours of bell peppers. Always buy fresh if you can and cut your own.

Various dips such as the mentioned buffalo chicken dip. You can also do spinach dip &/or ranch made from packets. usually a little less expensive than premade. Something I like, but don't do much anymore, is chili cheese dip. Buy 2-3 cans of chili, and a block of Velveeta cheese. Cut the Velveeta into small 1x1 cubes or slices so it melts evenly and mix in the chili. Then, either put in crockpot, or microwave it.

Taco bar is a good idea. Simple and basic.

BBQ meatballs or mini-hotdogs

There's a lot of simple ideas for foods out there. the problems is that it can get really expensive, and many times food choices aren't always the best if trying to be reasonably healthy.

I threw healthy out the window 😂🤦🏼‍♀️ lol
  • dniania
    Options
    So you finally moved out? Did you wait for furniture or decide against that?

I purchased a nice bed from Wayfair , that’s it lol
  • dniania
    Options
    I bought 3 Costco pizza pies and a huge platter of fried rice and fried noodles, and about 300 dumplings. merican's happy. Asians happy.

assorted chips and cookies as well

Thanks chips and cookies are cheap lol
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Buffalo chicken dip is super easy to make and people love it! Or make a refried bean dip also super easy and super popular! Hot dogs maybe
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    LMNOP55 wrote: »
    @Mazda_Mx5 wrote: »
    Tell everyone to bring something .
    If 40 or 50 people are coming.
    Good heavens I don't think I would have that many people show up at my funeral !

Let's test that theory.

This weekend.

Don't lock your doors.

This actually made me laugh out loud