Juicing

Options
My husband and I watched "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" last night. Though we're not anywhere near as overweight or sick as the main guy we would like to add juice to our diet.
I purchased a juicer today and loaded up on greens, carrots, granny smith apples and beets. I'm going to try to limit the fruit and carrots as those have the most sugar/calories and see how I/we feel. I'm not doing a juice fast just yet, but I'm going to incorporate juice in my everyday diet (which is pretty lean and green)
I'll post how I feel each day and what my favorite combinations are. Feel free to give advice or ask questions along the way!

Replies

• lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    i figured the thread was going to be about steroids. lol
  • nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    Options
    I Blend all my fruit is that like the same thing?
  • Disinte_GratioN
    Options

I prefer grapefruit!!! lol
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options

at least steroids are known to be effective. waitwut? :huh:
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hey, I just watched that movie on Friday and my husband and I started juicing right away. We had a juicer from a few years ago that we never used, so we busted it out, stocked up on produce, and here we go! We're not fasting either, just adding it in.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options

Haha. I guess I could have been a little more specific.

I've researched juicing vs. blending and the different is that your body doesn't have to break it down nearly as much to get the nutrients with the fiber removed. You can juice 3-4 times as much veggies to equal the same amount of liquid than if you blended it. Also, blending carrots and hearty veggies like that doesnt seem doable.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i used to juice carrots in the morning. Feels great in the AM. I've also mixed celery and carrots together. Carrots are my favorite because it's sweet tasting and loaded w/ Vit A. Apple is the only fruit I juiced. It was ok.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I love juicing!! I got the Hamilton Beach Big Mouth juicer and it rocks and is pretty easy to clean! I like combinations of kale, carrots, romaine, beets, cucumber, apple, chard... and almost always add a lemon in. It's just like drinking lemonade - the veggies are just a bonus that you can barely taste! :) The beets add sweetness too and good to swap for the apples and carrots sometimes...

I use organic fruits and veggies so I just throw the whole piece in unpeeled. If it's not organic, it's best to peel it or soak in fruit/veggie cleaner for 10 minutes at least to eliminate at least some of the pesticides otherwise it kinda defeats the purpose.

I don't juice nearly as much as I should. It's hard when I'm not home very often. I like your idea of putting in mason jars and bringing to work. I was worried about it going bad fast too, but I might have to try that!

Also, I'm going to have to check out that show! Thx!

:)