Time to share

Options
eleanorhawkins
eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
I hate photos so have been avoiding doing this for a few months now but think it's probably time to share, if my story can encourage anyone then it'll be worth it.
My lifestyle change began on January 1st 2017, my 39th birthday. I suddenly realised I would be 40 come my next birthday. I was a heavy smoker, overweight, unfit and extremely unhappy with myself. I had my last cigarette before bed on January 5th 2017. I employed pure will power and a lot of hate (OMG did I hate pretty much everyone in the entire world, and once I started restricting calories that got even worse!). Now I can finally and truely say I don't still wish I could light up every time something upsets me. I go for a run instead now lol.
Initially I swapped ciggies for sweets and cake, obviously that didn't go very well at all. I did however invest what I wouldn't be spending on smokes in a treadmill and forced myself to get on it every day, first of all for 30 minutes and then a few minutes longer each week. In March 2017 I tried to start C25k on said treadmill and ended up in tears from the pain in my shins. The penny dropped that I was going to have to go on a diet.
I had used MFP before to lose a few kilos so I came back and on March 18th started logging. I weighed 83.3 kilos. I work from home at a computer so set it to sedentary and it gave me 1,200 cals per day. Needless to say after a few weeks I was miserable as hell, hated the world and I think my husband and daughter were trying to sell me on Ebay.
I chucked an extra 100 calories on, made my own pre-C25k plan which involved a few seconds running every 5 minutes and gradually increased the running and reduced the walk breaks until I was at a point where I could start the programme itself. I also started eating about half my exercise calories back and was much happier.
It took time. A lot of time. There were days I wanted to give up, days I got depressed thinking even if I got my weight down what would be the use if I would then have to be hungry pretty much all the time to maintain it. However, my clothes started getting loose, my wedding ring was suddenly too big, the way my husband looked at me started to change..... little things that all added up.
I changed to maintenance calories after Christmas, although I'm still trying to master maintaining.... the scales are still dropping very slowly but I'm happy enough at the moment as that lets me allow myself the occasional guilt-free 'cheat'.
I currently weigh 54.9 kilos and have just signed up for a half marathon in December. It's going to be tough, it's going to be ugly, I'm going to have to train my backside off and..... I CAN'T WAIT.
I hope someone who is feeling the way I did, that they would never lose the weight or get fit, reads this and believes me when I say if I have managed it, ANYBODY can.
j288phlylggd.jpg Summer 2016
oyyrkyk4gfqa.jpg May 2018

Replies

• crhloses
    crhloses Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You are my new hero! Just the inspiration I needed today.
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Wow, I love your story! You should be so proud - what an achievement! And you not only look great but also 20 years younger!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Thanks! :-) I feel it too, and the funniest thing is I've passed people I haven't seen in a couple of years in the street and they haven't recognised me. Guess the drastic haircut doesn't help either hehehehe
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Wonderful!! You look great-congratulations and thanks for sharing!
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Thanks! :-) I feel it too, and the funniest thing is I've passed people I haven't seen in a couple of years in the street and they haven't recognised me. Guess the drastic haircut doesn't help either hehehehe

The new haircut really suits you! I can imagine that people don't recognize you - isn't that an awesome feeling! So much change.

• aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look amazing! Soooo much younger! Keep up the great work and good luck for the half marathon :D
  • QueenBee2018
    QueenBee2018 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You look so energized in your after photo and so confident! I’m so impressed with how you tackled TWO really tough habits. Thanks for sharing. It really is possible 😄
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Wow...congratulations on your success :) I had to do a double take on you photos to check it was the same person!
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    That is a great story! You look amazing and have worked so hard! You are one determined woman.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,315 Member
    Options
    Wow, amazing!!!! What an inspiration! Congratulations on both your weight loss and quitting smoking!
  • JEWIM1
    JEWIM1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story! I really needed this today!
  • sarahwaid
    sarahwaid Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing and inspiring!
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Wow, such amazing progress. The thing I notice purely from your photos is how much younger you look now! Good luck with your half marathon training! I admire your tenacity.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    You look a lot younger. Good job.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    40 looks amazing on you :smiley:
  • rowena4555
    rowena4555 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Amazing!!!! And so real!!!! There was no pretence that it was easy and I could feel how much you have given to this. You truly do look like a different person. Almost like your first photo was your Mum and you are the young daughter! Good luck with your half marathon! 🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀
  • heymossy
    heymossy Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Love your story, your determination and your honesty. Fantastic!
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!!! Not only did you lose weight, you look 10 years younger (and I love the new short curly hair!). You got this HM girl!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!