Weight lifting during pregnancy

Options
I have been strength training for nearly a year about 5 times a week. I am a few weeks pregnant and want to continue lifting (making modifications and taking precautions) with the doctor’s ok. Any women out there who continued to strength train during pregnancy? Please send me a request!

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I lifted throughout my second pregnancy (mostly after first tri because I was very ill). I did a modified 3x per week full body workout.. mostly bodyweight, bands, cables and dumbbells, some barbell stuff. I had to give up some of my main lifts because they were causing me discomfort I always listened to my body. I did not lift too heavy and stopped ab work especially after first trimester.
    Keeping active and lifting definitely helped with my labour, delivery, recovery and getting back into shape post-pregnancy.

If you were doing it before you were pregnant and you don't have any complications according to your doctor/OB you should be able continue the activities during pregnancy (with modifications as time goes on). Make sure you check with your doctor though before doing anything.

Congratulations and good luck!
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I did, but I stuck with lighter weight, higher reps and definitely listened to my body. I was doing a modified version of Strong Curves. At the time, I only had adjustable dumbbells, so I wasn't deadlifting or squatting more than a hundred pounds. :/ At 30 weeks, even bodyweight squats were aggravating my SI joint, so I switched to jogging and did that up until the end. I had my healthiest pregnancy and biggest baby yet and bounced back a lot faster than my previous babies. Good luck! Feel free to friend me!
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I’m pregnant with my 4th (about 10 weeks) and have lifted with all my pregnancies. Make sure you discuss with your health care providers first tho, because this pregnancy I have restrictions due to some risk factors that I didn’t have the last times. If you are given the all clear, it is a great way to stave off morning sickness, exhaustion, and a great prep for the big day lol hopefully in a few weeks I’ll be back to weight room too! Good luck :)
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I continued with my fifth pregnancy, but with lowered intensity and modifications. What feels okay when you're not pregnant may not feel okay when you are, and it's important to listen to your body and not push yourself. I'm glad I did it. I didn't gain as much weight as my other pregnancies (even though I still gained a lot) and I got back into my workout routine more easily post-partum. I also ended up with my biggest baby like Embee!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    My sister did stroller strides through her pregnancy. It's basically cardio with body weight or band exercises. This baby was also bigger than her first, but she only gained in her belly--everywhere else she stayed skinny!
  • EmmaCaz4
    EmmaCaz4 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've pmd you. I trained up until 38weeks with docs ok and no issues.

Let me know if you'd like to chat.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I kept strength training through my pregnancy. I modified my routine to be lighter weight with higher reps. Definitely listen to your body and if it doesn’t feel right don’t do it. Girls Gone Strong has some really helpful resources.
    https://www.girlsgonestrong.com/blog/pregnancy/video-e-course-exercises-avoid-during-pregnancy/
    Congrats!
  • EmmaCaz4
    EmmaCaz4 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I trained up until 38weeks pregnant. I only changed to just incline bench work but didn't change any weight, routine, intensity or reps training 5 days in the gym and 2 cardio days.

In the 2nd trimester I started to increase rest periods and lower weight slightly and added 1 rest day. It wasn't until I was 28weeks when I dropped a weight plate on my stomach that I really started to change things. I got the all clear that both baby & I were fine. I realised I needed to be careful and dropped weight more and changed routines to machines and dumbbells only to avoid weight plates and dropped to 3 gym days, 1 cardio, 1 yoga and 2 rest days.

Once I hit 35weeks I dropped to only 2 days per week in the gym adding cardio after both workouts, did 2 days yoga and had 3 rest days. I gave up the gym at week 38 as it was getting too painful and uncomfortable.

I only gained just over 1st. I had my little girl on 30th June and within 1 week I dropped every bit of pregnancy weight I'd gained and I'm recovering very well. I have 3weeks of recovery left before I can get back into the gym but my body is feeling great. I just need to gain some muscle mass back.
  • joagutierrez12
    joagutierrez12 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the inspiration and the truthful reminder of caution. ps your baby has the same birthday as me! Congrats!