Too much protein

Options
psuLemon
psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20020529/will-eating-more-protein-help-your-body-gain-muscle-faster

So I read this article and wondering if I could get some feedback on people's opinion. Do you have any other sources that say there is a limit to the amount of protein you need. I know a lot of workout programs (p90x) start you out doing 40% protein but I guess if it's only 30 days it isn't an issue...

Please discuss. I am considering altering my ratio's (although I am only at 35%) but 35% of 300 calories is a lot of protein.

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    35% for my day of 2000 calories is a lot more than your 300 unless you missed a zero?

I feel full longer when I'm eating protein, I don't get the energy sag that I do on high carb diet... protein it is, and healthy carbs (ie not from cake and cookies)
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20020529/will-eating-more-protein-help-your-body-gain-muscle-faster

So I read this article and wondering if I could get some feedback on people's opinion. Do you have any other sources that say there is a limit to the amount of protein you need. I know a lot of workout programs (p90x) start you out doing 40% protein but I guess if it's only 30 days it isn't an issue...

Please discuss. I am considering altering my ratio's (although I am only at 35%) but 35% of 300 calories is a lot of protein.

While building muscle, carb is vital. While I don't think you should cut carbs just so you can up protein, I don't think you want a 55-65% carb intake.Endurance athletes I would say could use a bit higher than the average, for obvious reasons.
    When you start getting into mega numbers of cals and protein intake becomes a bit excessive, I got by 1g/lb of lean mass to 1g/lb of BW.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    35% for my day of 2000 calories is a lot more than your 300 unless you missed a zero?

I feel full longer when I'm eating protein, I don't get the energy sag that I do on high carb diet... protein it is, and healthy carbs (ie not from cake and cookies)

Yea...... they meant 3000.....
  • ahalla
    ahalla Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    On the P90X you have 300 calorie meals 5 times a day, so they are saying 35% of the 300 calorie meal is alot of protein per sitting. I would agree with others, I tend to feel fuller longer, but I also did the P90X and Insanity- for both I needed a lot of protein to feel full , but also for the endurance.
  • DeadZip2010
    DeadZip2010 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have done my share of reading, researching and asking questions, and here are the basics i have found to be the most common.

1. your body can only use so much protein at one time, taking in 60+ grams at once of it gives you the same results as taking in 30 grams at once.
    2. shoot for 1 gram of protein pre pound of body wiehgt you would like to reach.
    3. powders are good, but they should not replace normal meals, mostly pre/post work out or for smacks.
    4. try to base every meal and snack around a protein. protein is needed to rebuild torn muscle and build lean muscle mass.

hope these help a little. i know it doesnt focus on your "how much is too much" question. but the answer is "it really depends and is based on the individual."
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thanks guys. I did mean 3000 calories. I think when I finish up chalean extreme, I am going back to p90x, so I will up my calories again.

Also, I try to mix complex carbs and protein with each meal. I do remember reading a body can only process 30ish grams of protein and hour so I try to spread it out. Also, I did just read a few minutes ago that you should look for about 1 g of protein per pound you weigh. So i guess what I will do is up my carbs.