Nerdy librarian seeks same...

Options
Wait, that's not right. You don't need to be a nerdy librarian - I've got that covered!

I start and stop tracking with so much consistency that I've decided I need some support - friends, accountability buddies, SOMETHING. This seems like a good place to start.

I'm 38, female, about 258, 5'5", would like to lose about 100 lbs. It doesn't have to happen quickly, but I'm easily discouraged if the scale doesn't move down consistently. I'm going to be a bridesmaid in a friend's wedding next June, so I'm setting that as a tentative goal to get down to 200. 5.5 lbs a month should be doable, right?

I hate exercising but like walking, reading and playing video games, so I'm starting (this time) by just trying to incorporate more walking into my life. If you friend me on here, feel free to ask for my Pokemon Go! trainer id!

Replies

• kcs76
    kcs76 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I am a library assistant! Hello sister! I've worked in both academic and public libraries.

I think that your goal is very doable given the time frame. I consider myself a running walker meaning I don't think I really run although others have told me I do. So if I can be of any help, let me know! I don't really play video games (yeah, strange I know) but I also love to read and I love podcasts.

Welcome and good luck!!!
  • BiblioKaren
    BiblioKaren Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Not everyone needs to be a gamer! We all find the stories we need. I've just started listening to podcasts, a decade late - any suggestions?
  • kcs76
    Options
    Absolutely. I'll list them with a brief description :)

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, this is weekly news quiz with a rotating panel that is broadcast on NPR on Saturdays but I usually don't get to listen until Sundays. The podcast is usually available by Saturday evening.

Stuff You Should Know, this is a weekly podcast, I honestly cannot remember what the upload day is on it, my app is on auto-upload. It has two hosts, Josh and Chuck, and they research, like really research, a topic and then present it on the episode. They have covered just about everything. It's great. Also, each year they ask listeners to submit original fiction for Halloween and then do a special show featuring that work.

Stuff You Missed in History Class, Tracey and Holly host this. It's very similar in the format of SYSK, research driven presentation of information, but of historical events. As they say, history is written by the victor. This podcast tries to give a more well rounded account. I'm a history major and have still learned quite a bit.

Welcome to Nightvale, this one is a little hard to explain. Think old time radio serial meets the Twilight Zone meets whacked out Sci-Fi. Cecil Baldwin is the "announcer" and there are a number of revolving guest voices for the residents of Nightvale. It's been going on for .....5 years I think? The episodes can stand alone, but if you'd like to listen to them in order, the archive is available.

Serial, this is an offshoot of This American Life (another great podcast) which was a re-investigation into a murder case and trial that took place in Baltimore in 1999-2000 (first season). It was wildly popular with listeners trying to decide if justice a was served or not. I actually wrote a research paper on the this case/season.

I usually listen on my phone or in the car. The app I use is Podcast Addict as I have an Android, but I think all of these are available in Itunes as well.

Happy listening1
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Wow, I usually don't run into other librarians online. I'm an accidental library director - now at 2 different libraries. Everyone always asks me if I've read this book or that book, and I tell them I honestly don't have time to read. I read online all day long for my job.

I'm not a gamer - the closest I come is Pokemon.

I've lost 50 lbs and maintained that loss for about 8 years, now trying to lose another 40.
  • kcs76
    Options
    Hello! An accidental director at two libraries? Wow!!

I always blank out when asked for book or movie suggestions. I am usually so busy with school that I never get time to read or watch movies/tv unless I'm on break. So I'm usually 6 months to a year behind trends. 😂

• TomFit18
    TomFit18 Posts: 2,585 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!
  • KatieNicole95
    KatieNicole95 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Not a nerd or librarian here but I did dieting similar to you last summer and lost 50 lbs in about 6 months but I am heavier than you. I cut to around 1400 calories a day (any food, just those calories) and even ate around 1800 on saturdays, and just added walking every day and it just came off. I hate going to a gym, in nice weather I would walk outside. In bad weather I actually would just hit up places like target or kohls and walk around the store for an hour. Also, looking at smaller sized cute jeans was a great motivation.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Hey. I love reading and i'm a gamer
    Favourite author is Brandon Sanderson :)
    If you're on Xbox let me know and i'll share my GT. I'm more casual nowdays as im focusing more on weight loss and muscle gain so im being more active. I still play Elder Scrolls Online and i'm planning on getting the new Battlefield later this year.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    kcs76 wrote: »

I always blank out when asked for book or movie suggestions. I am usually so busy with school that I never get time to read or watch movies/tv unless I'm on break. So I'm usually 6 months to a year behind trends. 😂

LOL! Yeah, I went to school for computer programming, couldn't find a job in that, so got a very part time job keeping up computers at the local library. The position just kept growing, then I was assistant director, then the director left and I was promoted. About 5 months ago, I got hired as (again) very part time director for a new start up library. It has been a challenge. I never intended to be a librarian.
  • BiblioKaren
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    kcs76 wrote: »

LOL! Yeah, I went to school for computer programming, couldn't find a job in that, so got a very part time job keeping up computers at the local library. The position just kept growing, then I was assistant director, then the director left and I was promoted. About 5 months ago, I got hired as (again) very part time director for a new start up library. It has been a challenge. I never intended to be a librarian.

Heh. After library school I ended up as an accidental administrator! I'm back in public service now where recommending books is literally part of my job, and I love it!
  • BiblioKaren
    Options
    bufger wrote: »
    Hey. I love reading and i'm a gamer
    Favourite author is Brandon Sanderson :)
    If you're on Xbox let me know and i'll share my GT. I'm more casual nowdays as im focusing more on weight loss and muscle gain so im being more active. I still play Elder Scrolls Online and i'm planning on getting the new Battlefield later this year.

I'm totally casual and never play online games - I've been discovering Zelda over the past year, something I never played as a kid, and it's completing my life. My boyfriend is super into elder scrolls online at the moment, though, and I'm trying really hard to resist playing it too! Skyrim too over my life for a good six months, and I'm afraid that will happen again.
  • heatherakakou939
    heatherakakou939 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I might have found my people! I am an adult librarian at a public library and I am a gamer but also a crafter. Please don’t ask me if I have time for anything because I currently have time for nothing lol.