Some tell me I'm supposed to feel like this

Options
I think I might be sick :D

Did 40 minutes weights then cardio class with the gym and I feel like i might die.
Is this what fitness feels like? Haha just need affirmation that I shouldn't go back to lying on the sofa and taking morning naps :D:D

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    If it's your first day working out, then yes, yes you are supposed to feel like this (and it only gets better if you keep it up).

If you've been working out for a while then maybe you should take some things in to consideration.
  • Zoejohnse91
    Zoejohnse91 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    If it's your first day working out, then yes, yes you are supposed to feel like this (and it only gets better if you keep it up).

If you've been working out for a while then maybe you should take some things in to consideration.

Been lifting for 6 weeks but this is my first gym class :) thanks for getting back to me!
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    At first it can be hard. Don't worry though, it'll get better.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Zoggo1991 wrote: »

Been lifting for 6 weeks but this is my first gym class :) thanks for getting back to me!

What part made you feel that you might die, the weights or the cardio? If it was the cardio, which you haven't done much before, it's understandable to be a little winded/sore/hurtin'. If it was the weights, after 6 weeks, perhaps you're having an off day, or something else is happening. Were you just tired, sore (DOMS) or did you feel sick? if you felt sick, you may have a "bug" or something, or just had an "off" day. How you feeling the day after?
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

Starting cardio can definitely do it. The first time I did a spin class I was dead tired afterwards, lol. Just keep it up, go at your own pace for a while and you'll notice improvement!
  • Zoejohnse91
    Zoejohnse91 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

What part made you feel that you might die, the weights or the cardio? If it was the cardio, which you haven't done much before, it's understandable to be a little winded/sore/hurtin'. If it was the weights, after 6 weeks, perhaps you're having an off day, or something else is happening. Were you just tired, sore (DOMS) or did you feel sick? if you felt sick, you may have a "bug" or something, or just had an "off" day. How you feeling the day after?

It was the cardio - definitely the cardio haha. I almost bailed on the first circuit but I kept going. I felt bloody sick by the end - sure if there was anymore I would have been decorating the nice guys shoes haha.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

It was the cardio - definitely the cardio haha. I almost bailed on the first circuit but I kept going. I felt bloody sick by the end - sure if there was anymore I would have been decorating the nice guys shoes haha.

Gotta pace yourself when starting a new routine. ;-) Whether you're starting cardio or weights, you can't start out too fast/heavy.
  • KingHurlbutt
    KingHurlbutt Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    haha yup, that is exactly how it works. Keep going and you'll find that you become addicted to it.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Whenever you start a new class you should talk to the instructor and tell him/her about your fitness level and ability.
    The instructor will be able to give you modifications you can make to the exercises in class (for example side steps without jumping when everyone else is doing jumping jacks with a medicine ball) or give suggestions on how to rest without coming to a full stop/losing momentum. (For example in my yoga class if you need a second to regroup, you can replace the full Chatarunga with Table Top and then go to Downward Dog with the group.)
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Did 40 minutes weights then cardio class with the gym and I feel like i might die.
    Is this what fitness feels like? Haha just need affirmation that I shouldn't go back to lying on the sofa and taking morning naps :D:D

That isn't what fitness feels like. When you continue to do the same & it gets easier & easier, or when you increase your weights & don't feel like you're dying, that's what fitness feels like. It's all about the results.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    To be accurate, this is what "out of shape" feels like. The more you try, the harder it gets to make yourself feel like you're about to die.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing weights and circuit classes for 4 years but I would not do them on the same day! You need to learn how to pace yourself & modify, especially in classes. As stated above, talk to the instructor about this, they are trained to help people modify. You also need to learn what your body needs for recovery time between hard workouts. Your needs for pacing, modification, and recovery will evolve as you continue on your fitness journey. Keep going!
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Options

No no... This is the beginning. Stick with it. It's about to feel really good.
    This guy said it better:
    To be accurate, this is what "out of shape" feels like. The more you try, the harder it gets to make yourself feel like you're about to die.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

No, that's what lack of fitness feels like.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options

Oh my God Jerome you said it perfectly!
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    First you feel like you are going to die. Then you feel reborn.

Yes, that's normal. Track your workouts, and in about 3 months look back. It's shocking to see that a current warm up used to be your workout.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! It's a terrible feeling but totally normal! :) If you like the class, continue to take it but don't go quite as hard next time. There's no rush!